No announcement yet.

Marlins Looking at Cuban RHP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speculation: Marlins Looking at Cuban RHP?

The Marlins have made a couple of unsuccessful runs at Cuban free agents in recent years. They made bids on both Aroldis Chapman and Yoenis Cespedes, and now they're showing interest in another product of the island nation.

They're not alone.

According to a source monitoring Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez, the Marlins have seen the Cuban right-hander multiple times. They are believed to consider Gonzalez, 26, as a major-league ready middle-of-the-rotation starter, but the source questions the club's financial wherewithal to sign him considering the competition.

Gonzalez, who is awaiting clearance to negotiate with teams, threw for scouts Friday in Tijuana, Mexico. The Marlins' interest could wane once the bidding starts. Some have speculated Gonzalez could command a contract upward of the $42 million deal the Dodgers gave Yasiel Puig.

The big-spending Cubs, Red Sox, Rangers and Dodgers are all believed to have serious interest in Gonzalez. Once factor that potentially could impact the Marlins' involvement is whether Gonzalez wants to cash in now or if he prefers to sign a shorter-term deal and hit the free agent market again in say four years at age 30.

What makes Gonzalez attractive to clubs in addition to the prospect of an immediate return is that he doesn't count against the international signing bonus cap.

Ricky Nolasco's money coming off the books does give the Marlins payroll flexibility. He's their lone player making more than $2.75 million. Beyond this season, the club's only payroll commitments are Adeiny Hechavarria ($1.75 million), Jeff Mathis ($1.5 million) and Jacob Turner ($1 million). Players like Giancarlo Stanton and Steve Cishek should earn substantial raises as they enter their arbitration years, but not the kind that would blow out the 2014 payroll.

The Marlins conceivably could add a $10 million per season pitcher like Gonzalez or someone else and still have a sub-$50 million outlay next season.
    http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/201...r-mike-redmond
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

The Marlins will offer him 7/$25MM and say that they attempted to sign him. I'm sure we are just scouting him as due diligence.

Comment

nah, this will be the one they pop on, and he'll fizzle out and be a middle reliever for the Rockies three years from now
      --------------------
      after numerous hamstring injuries of course
      Last edited by emkayseven; 06-29-2013, 07:12 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
      Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.

Comment

Lol! Is the guy so special that people think he will earn $50-$60MM?

I just can see us offering this guy anything substantial enough to acquire him. I mean, we literally shredded all our payroll in the offseason in order to start new with young talent. I don't think this fits into the plan.

Comment

$50 million is what a middle of the rotation guy will earn in this market unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Z View Post
            The Marlins will offer him 7/$25MM and say that they attempted to sign him. I'm sure we are just scouting him as due diligence.
            Anything more than 5 million a year on an unproven commodity is something this team can not take chances on.

Comment

Remember when the whole board had a raging hard on for Yusmeiro Petit

Very random but I just read his name and it brought back memories

Comment

I would be cool with it if he was 23 but he's 26.
                LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

which is 42 after the conversion rate

Comment

Dodgers have already said they are willing to go 60 Million on him so pretty much knocks us out

Comment

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                      Dodgers have already said they are willing to go 60 Million on him so pretty much knocks us out
                      If we're trying to sign this guy maybe we should you know sign Stanton.

Comment

Originally posted by Namaste View Post
                        Remember when the whole board had a raging hard on for Yusmeiro Petit

Very random but I just read his name and it brought back memories
                        http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/11...set-mlb-record

Comment

139ip 122ha 32bb 144k 3.50era 2.77fip 1.108whip as a Giant
                          --------------------
                          I forgot to add "smdh Loria"
                          Last edited by HUGG; 08-29-2014, 07:38 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

I'm aware.

I posted this at marlinsbaseball.com the day before he broke the record.

They have more than 2 posts a day over there.

Comment

shots fired?

Comment

Working...
                              X