No announcement yet.

2013 Bold Predictions Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The notion that a backup catcher needs to be exceptional defensively is incredibly short-sighted, bordering on destructive.

Managers are unlikely to swap out catchers, except in late game situations for a speed-up pinch runner, almost never will you see a catcher swapped out for defensive purposes (though, perhaps the Marlins should have made a habit of that with Olivo) as the fear of injury and not having a replacement always keeps that extra catcher tethered to the bench. If a backup catcher gets in the neighborhood of 35 starts and about 120 ABs over the course of a season, a team that's limited offensively simply must carry the superior hitter. Or, failing that, the hitter with upside.

Comment

Originally posted by Swifty View Post
      The notion that a backup catcher needs to be exceptional defensively is incredibly short-sighted, bordering on destructive.

Managers are unlikely to swap out catchers, except in late game situations for a speed-up pinch runner, almost never will you see a catcher swapped out for defensive purposes (though, perhaps the Marlins should have made a habit of that with Olivo) as the fear of injury and not having a replacement always keeps that extra catcher tethered to the bench. If a backup catcher gets in the neighborhood of 35 starts and about 120 ABs over the course of a season, a team that's limited offensively simply must carry the superior hitter. Or, failing that, the hitter with upside.
      I don't disagree, but it's generally easier to find a good defensive backup catcher than a good offensive backup catcher.

Comment

With Mathis, the Marlins have neither.
        Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
        Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
        Noah Perio
        Jupiter
        39 AB
        15 H
        0 2B
        0 3B
        0 HR
        0 BB
        .385/.385/.385

Comment

I don't think one needs to worry about delaying the arbitration clock of a likely bench player.

Comment

I think we get 80 + wins. I see Yelich, Fernandez and Marisnick being called up before June.

I think if we play .500 baseball through May and call these guys up, we may be onto something. LoMo has to be healthy too.

It's going to be interesting to see what they do with the overcrowded OF.

Comment

I can't imagine us at .500 through May and calling up all 3 guys. That would mean we're .500 thru 50+ games and have 3 major holes on the team apparently.

is the outfield really overcrowded?

Comment

Chris Coghlan's in the running for starting CF'er. So I think we know the answer to that question.

Comment

77 wins
                  --------------------
                  Lomo takes advantage of huge gaps in Marlins park and hits 40 doubles, no more than 20 homers, and an OBP of .350+

Hechevarria becomes a fan favorite. Eases pain of losing Hanley and Jose.

Solano surprises everyone as a solid 2B. Hits .275+

hoping Polanco stays healthy to hold down 3B.

Ruggiano stays consistent behind Stanton and Lomo in the order.

Brantley becomes a team leader but had an up and down season, hits .260

Marlins are one of the best defensive teams in the majors.

Mike Redmond proves to be infinitely better for us than Ozzie.

Rotation suffers but shows promise. This is our biggest downfall.

At least 3 opening day players are traded during the season.

77 wins
                  Last edited by BigGameFish; 03-07-2013, 12:14 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
                  STANTON

Serious fun! GET IT IN!

Comment

Working...
                  X