Wade LeBlanc, SP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wade LeBlanc, SP

ORLANDO — The Miami Marlins beat writers were joking with left-handed pitcher Wade LeBlanc about his spring training prowess after a near flawless two innings of work on Monday at ESPN's Wide World of Sports.

LeBlanc made his spring debut, setting down all six Atlanta Braves he faced, earning praise for yet another stellar spring performance. He had become so well known for his spring success that former Marlins' manager Ozzie Guillen even referred to him as the "Cy Young of Spring Training," last year.

"Yeah, and where'd that get me?" LeBlanc laughed. "It got me three months in New Orleans, that's what it got me. We'll see how it works this year."

LeBlanc had somewhat solidified himself last season as the Marlins' utility man of the pitching staff. He was a part-time starter as the fifth man in the rotation, as well as the designated long reliever of choice among left-handers.

He started nine games last season and saw action out of the bullpen 16 times. He finished with a 3.87 ERA, 43 strikeouts and a record of 2-5 overall.

"Just getting out there and getting those early jitters out … it's starting to feel like baseball again," said LeBlanc, who seems to be the favorite to win the spot of fifth starter.

He enters spring knowing he has to, once again, earn his stripes and he has do so this time under a new manager with Mike Redmond in charge. Fighting for a position, however, is something that doesn't bother the 28-year-old LeBlanc.

"That's how it should be. That's how I want it," LeBlanc said. "I feel like the minute somebody gives something to me, I'm not going to appreciate it when I get it. So, if I were to perform this spring and end up in that spot, I would appreciate it because I know that I earned it. … I don't want anything given to me."

He got started in a good way Monday, throwing 21 pitches, 15 of them strikes, against the meat of the Atlanta Braves lineup, coaxing them into two ground-ball outs, two fly outs and two strikeouts.

"That's how I want it. I want to face those guys," LeBlanc said of going against some of the Braves top hitters like B.J. Upton, Jayson Heyward and Freddie Freeman. "That's one of the fun things about the game of baseball."

LeBlanc said the prospect of bouncing around between occasional starts and relief appearances isn't necessarily a problem for him and he said he has the right mentality to make quick transitions.

"If anybody tells you they like bouncing around, they're lying to you," LeBlanc said of going from bullpen to starter. "I am the kind of guy who doesn't need a full day to get into game mode, though, and that allows me to bounce back and forth from the rotation to the bullpen fairly easily.

And if it's bouncing around that gets him back to Miami, that's fine. He's started all but two of his seven professional seasons in the minor leagues.

"I prefer one of the 25 spots. It doesn't matter to me," LeBlanc said. "Trying to avoid New Orleans."
    http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/201...n-spot-bullpen
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

It's two-and-a-half weeks until the regular season opens, a month until the Marlins would need a fifth starter. So there's plenty of time for things to change.

Still, after Wade LeBlanc pitched four more shutout innings in a 10-2 win over the Braves on Sunday at Champion Stadium, it's fair to say he has the inside track. He's now pitched 10 Grapefruit League innings. He's allowed six hits, hasn't walked a batter and has a 0.00 earned run average.

"Absolutely," said manager Mike Redmond. "He's pitched well. He's had a great spring. And he definitely made a case for a spot in that rotation. He's just got to keep going out there and showing that consistency and let all the chips fall where they may."

"You know what, man? I feel good just because I'm healthy," LeBlanc said. "As long as you're healthy, you have a shot. Priority No. 1 is to make sure you're healthy and can bounce back the next day and be ready for the next game, whenever that is. Then you leave those decisions to those guys. As long as you're healthy and prepared for every outing, there's really nothing to worry about as far as any of that stuff."

Also working in his favor is that he's currently the only lefty candidate for the rotation, and he's out of options.

LeBlanc's only hiccup was a start against Venezuela in a World Baseball Classic exhibition when he was charged with three runs (two earned) in 2 2/3 innings, allowing seven hits and two strikeouts. Then again, Venezuela isn't on the Marlins' schedule this season.

Also in the running for the fifth spot are right-handers John Maine and Kevin Slowey. Redmond said there still could be opportunities for pitchers who aren't starters on Opening Day. "There's an option there for a long guy in the bullpen, too. That's something that we'll have to figure out as we get farther into it, see what direction we want to go," he pointed out.
    http://miami.marlins.mlb.com/news/ar...k_mia&c_id=mia
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.

Comment

So Ricky, Eovaldi, Alvarez, Turner and LeBlanc? I think Sanabia has an option left and I know Hand does.
      LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

Looks like the rotation, with Jose Fernandez eventually taking the slot Ricky currently occupies when Nolasco's traded in June/July, and Sanabia filling in for whichever starter does awful.

Comment

definitely missing a few words in there

Comment

He means the post above looks like the rotation.

Comment

Marlins manager Mike Redmond has made it clear this spring that he’d prefer to have a left-hander in the rotation.
              Redmond will get his wish.
              Lefty Wade LeBlanc has secured a spot in the rotation and “as of now” will start the third game of the season in Washington, according to Redmond.
              “That could change,” Redmond said. “We’re still trying to piece it together.”
              LeBlanc will follow Ricky Nolasco and Nathan Eovaldi. Henderson Alvarez likely will start the fourth game (the series opener in New York against the Mets) and the fifth starter is yet to be determined.
              LeBlanc has spent parts of five years in the big leagues, including 25 games with the Marlins last year (nine starts) in which he was 2-5 with a 3.67 ERA.
              This spring he has a 3.86 ERA in 14 Grapefruit League innings, allowing six earned runs on 13 hits. He has struck out 11 and walked two.
              The Marlins like the idea of slotting LeBlanc, who relies more on location than velocity, behind a hard-throwing right-hander like Eovaldi.
              The No. 5 spot is between veterans John Maine and Kevin Slowey and prospect Jacob Turner, who has struggled this spring after the Marlins hoped he would grab the second spot. Turner has one last chance to impress when he faces the Astros in Kissimmee Sunday.
              LeBlanc will pitch Monday against the Tigers, Alvarez goes Tuesday against the Nationals and Slowey will start Wednesday in Fort Myers against Boston. Nolasco will pitch in a minor league game on Wednesday.
              http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/sp...tarting/nW23z/

Comment

Gotta love it when I guy that was the 6th starter last year is now your third.

Comment

claimed by Astros. See ya.

Comment

Working...
                  X