Donovan Solano, 2B

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Donovan Solano, 2B

When Miami Marlins manager Mike Redmond preaches that spring training is a haven of opportunity, he can point to Donovan Solano as Exhibit A.

A year ago, Solano was just another face in a crowded clubhouse trying to get noticed. He opened eyes with a superb spring training. Now he is the starting second baseman.

"I have a good opportunity in this camp," he said. "The deal is, I need to be the same guy."

Solano didn't make the Marlins' Opening Day roster last year despite hitting .410 in the spring, but he was one of the first players summoned from the minors. He stuck and hit .295 in 93 games in 2012.

The trades of Omar Infante and Emilio Bonifacio opened the position for the 24-year-old Colombian native.

"I have in my mind — not more relaxed, but that [I know] I can do it," he said of the difference this spring. "I feel confident. There's not too much pressure."

Solano said he benefited from spending a month in the offeason preparing and playing with the Colombian team in the World Baseball Classic qualifier.

He was one of the most-impressive hitters in simulated games the past two days. He hit a towering home run off closer Steve Cishek on Wednesday and had another hit Thursday.

"I got a bomb — good swing, good contact. I'm not a power guy, but sometimes that happens for everybody," said Solano, who hit two homers last season.

More important, he is quickly developing a working relationship with new shortstop Adeiny Hechavarria, who has already impressed Redmond with his glove and bat. Hechavarria tripled to right-center Thursday off Henderson Alvarez.

"A couple of those guys look like they're ready to go for Opening Day already. I don't know how they do that, but they came out swinging and they look good," Redmond said.
    http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/m...,2041750.story
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

I guess Henderson Alvarez sucks

Comment

As a teenager in Colombia, Marlins second baseman Donovan Solano heard the same thing every time he showed up at a baseball field for a tryout.

“Everybody would say, ‘You’re too small,’ ’’ said Solano, who’s 5-foot-9 and 195 pounds, one of the smallest players in a sport that emphasizes size and strength.

“They thought I might have a chance but not a real chance. But I didn’t care what they said.’’
      Solano said he never got angry. Instead, he channeled all of those comments from doubters into motivation to prove them wrong.

He made his major league debut last year and will open the season as Miami’s starting second baseman.

“They believe me now,’’ he said, laughing.

Solano isn’t comfortable yet by any means. He’s among the early arrivals every morning at Marlins camp, where he disappears into the batting cage.

“I want a better average,’’ he said before going 2-for-3 Saturday in Miami’s 2-0 loss to the Cardinals, raising his spring batting average to .545.

Last year, he batted .295 with a .342 on-base percentage in 93 games for the Marlins. He could open the season batting second if third baseman Placido Polanco isn’t ready.

“He made the most of an opportunity he got last year,” manager Mike Redmond said.

“He has a chance to play every day, and maybe hit in the top part of our order. He could be a huge weapon for us. He plays hard every single day I put him in there, and he’s fun to watch.”

Solano, who came up through the St. Louis Cardinals’ system, signed with the Marlins as a minor league free agent in November 2011. He had a strong spring in 2012 and quickly became a favorite of then-manager Ozzie Guillen.

He made his debut in May and became a fixture after second baseman Omar Infante was traded to the Detroit Tigers in July.

“He’s a very good player. I think he’s going to get better,’’ said infield coach Perry Hill, who praises Solano’s work ethic.

“He’s grounded. He does what he is supposed to do, all the time.’’

Defensively, Solano will have to adjust to a new double-play partner in shortstop Adeiny Hechavarria, who replaces four-time All Star Jose Reyes.

“I don’t think it’s that big a deal,’’ Hill said. “Getting experience is what they need now. They just need to play.’’

Solano is an option for third base if Polanco isn’t ready. But that doesn’t seem likely at this point.

Polanco, bothered by a back injury since March 2, said he felt better Saturday.

“He went out and warmed up and stretched but he is not swinging a bat or throwing or anything for a few days to let whatever it is calm down,” Redmond said.

The Marlins have no plans to try Chris Coghlan at third base, even though Coghlan was a minor league infielder before moving to the outfield.

“We are planning on Polanco being able to play and ready to go,” Redmond said.

Offensively, the Marlins will be thrilled if Solano picks up where he left off in 2012.

He had a 12-game hitting streak in August. He hit .327 over the final 43 games of the season, scoring 20 runs and 18 RBI. His 54 hits over that span were the most of any rookie in baseball.
      His most memorable highlight of the year came May 29 when his older brother, catcher Jhonatan Solano made his major league debut against the Marlins for the Washington Nationals.

When they were teenagers in Colombia, Jhonatan usually accompanied his brother to those tryouts. He too was told he was too small to play.

Solano said he and his brother looked at Boston’s Dustin Pedroia as an example of what they can achieve. Pedroia, at 5-foot-8 and 165 pounds, has been a three-time all star and American League most valuable player.

“I saw (Pedroia) on ESPN saying he hated it when people told him you can’t do something because you’re too small,’’ Solano said. “I said the same thing. I’m not going to limit myself for anything.’’

Now, Solano said he hopes he can be an inspiration to undersize athletes.

“Everybody needs to work hard. If you believe, you can achieve your dreams. Now I’m here with my brother in the big leagues. It’s like another example.’’
      http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/sp...s-wrong/nWm72/
      Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.

Comment

The fact that the Marlins are in such poor shape that Donovan Solano is guaranteed a starting spot makes me a sad panda.
        Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
        Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
        Noah Perio
        Jupiter
        39 AB
        15 H
        0 2B
        0 3B
        0 HR
        0 BB
        .385/.385/.385

Comment

I mean it's not like he is doing bad this spring.
          LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

That doesn't exactly mean anything, though.

Comment

He got on base last year. There are a couple guys still developing that could replace him if he sucks. Let him play and see what happens.

Comment

17 RBI since July 24th

suck it todd

Comment

Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
                  17 RBI since July 24th

suck it todd

Comment

.884 OPS this year unbelievable

Comment

Working...
                    X