Derek Dietrich, 3B

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Derek Dietrich, 3B

Beinfest said Double A prospect Derek Dietrich, acquired from Tampa for Yunel Escobar, “could be our future third baseman. We love him.”

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sport...#storylink=cpy

Yeah I like him.

Comment

Just my opinion, but I think Zack Cox is going to get his stuff together this spring and surprise quite a few.

I am also a fan of Dietrich. He's a solid ball player.

Comment

Is there any reasoning behind you believing Zach Cox will get his shit together or just wishful thinking?

Comment

I believe he was rushed by the cardinals. More experienced pitchers were able to exploit him in AAA and it killed his confidence lowering his ability to perform even more.

Comment

That is the reason why Beinfest killed the deal he had with Oakland.(Pretty much the same deal as they just made with Houston)

He loves Dietrich and even tho he says 3B of the future,he could also easily be the 2B of the future instead

Cox is pretty much the same as Dietrich,offensive 2B or 3B. Cox major issue last year was the injuries and that he was in AAA. If they let him get AB's in Jax and he stays healthy,he could be up next year

Comment

VIERA — The trade that brought Derek Dietrich to the Marlins might have cost the infielder thousands of dollars.

Not in salary.

In potential prize winnings.

Dietrich, an amateur juggler when he’s not working his way up the minor-league baseball ladder, had his sights set on winning the Tampa Bay Ray’s annual talent competition that’s held during spring training.

Now, after being traded to the Marlins in December for shortstop Yunel Escobar, he will have to settle on putting on unpaid private shows for his teammates while trying to impress Marlins management with his baseball skills.

“I’ll probably pull out my juggling props here pretty soon,” said Dietrich, who put on a brief demonstration in the Marlins’ dugout before batting practice Wednesday, juggling five baseballs at once.

The Marlins believe the 23-year-old product of Georgia Tech could be in their infield, either as a third baseman or second baseman, within the next year or two. Dietrich is expected to start the season at Double A Jacksonville.

Better known for his bat than his glove, Dietrich is working extensively with infield coach Perry Hill on his defense.

“I like him,” Hill said. “He can hit. I hope I don’t screw the kid up.”

Dietrich, who was chosen by the Rays in the second round of the 2010 draft, has hit .278 with 39 homers in three minor-league seasons. He’s scheduled to start at third base in Thursday’s “B” game against the Cardinals, though he has spent most of his time working out at second this spring.

“Bone [Hill’s nickname] has been unbelievable,” Dietrich said. “They told me early on he was a defensive genius, and I agree with that 100 percent. I could see that from Day One. It was like immediate improvement. I’ve already become a better infielder because of him.”

Juggling has also proved beneficial to Dietrich on the baseball field.

“Obviously, hand-eye coordination is huge in this game, offensively and defensively,” Dietrich said. “Juggling is defined as having more objects in the air than you have hands to control them. You don’t have that happen in baseball, but the peripheral vision — the reaction — just knowing where the ball is going to be without my eyes seeing it, that’s where it helps.”

Dietrich said he started juggling when he was 8 years old and stuck with it.

By the time he was in high school, he was a member of the International Jugglers Association and performed at charity events and nursing homes. His bag of props, which he brought with him to spring training, includes balls, clubs, machetes and torches.

Dietrich not only played in the 2011 Midwest League All-Star Game, he also performed his juggling routine for the crowd of 10,000 during a break in play as part of a gag.

“My manager said, ‘I’m going to make this pitching change, but instead of calling the pitcher, I’m going to call you out of the dugout and you’re going to come on the field and juggle,’ ” Dietrich said. “The fans didn’t know if I was a performer dressed up as a baseball player, and they had to clarify over the public address system that I was actually a player from the Rays’ organization.”

Dietrich can’t wait to perform for his Marlins teammates.

“Everybody’s got a batting average — good or bad,” Dietrich said. “But not too many guys can juggle.”
              Read more here: http://www.bradenton.com/2013/02/27/...#storylink=cpy
              Originally posted by Madman81
              Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
              Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

I'm very intrigued by Dietrich. He and Cox are the 2 I'm most interested in seeing how they perform this season.

Comment

so glad Perry Hill is back in the fold

Comment

Me too

We're a HUGH fan of Dietrich, boys
                    Originally posted by Madman81
                    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Also like Dietrich

Comment

Forget Cox, I want this guy as our third baseman (or second):

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RROmT88Ma8[/ame]
                        LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

Dietrich hitting .308/.463/.538, 11BB/11K

OPS
                          .497 vs Left
                          1.160 vs Right

Given what Escobar has done so far this year (.119/.200/.153), the early returns look good, let's hope Dietrich keeps it up.

Comment

I wonder when he's up for Solano.

Comment

Last 28 games in majors: .198/.257.376/.633

First 20 games since being sent back down to AA: .162/.305/.338/.643, striking out over 1 out of every 3 PA (35.4%)

Last 14 games: .404/.440/.766/1.206, 16% K rate

ho's on fire
                              Last edited by nny; 08-31-2013, 02:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X