No announcement yet.

Loria Refusing Overtures to Buy Team from Big Names, Including Jeb Bush

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rumor: Loria Refusing Overtures to Buy Team from Big Names, Including Jeb Bush

From the Herald Naked Politics blog, which isn't usually on the forefront of baseball matters:
    Jeb Bush offer to buy Marlins baseball club rejected

@MarcAcaputo

From Miami Herald reporter Barry Jackson's Sports Buzz

Miami Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria, in recent months, has rejected overtures from a half dozen people who expressed interest in buying the Marlins, including one of South Florida’s most famous residents: Former Florida governor Jeb Bush.

According to a source, Bush made a “large offer” to buy the team this offseason, but Loria told him he’s not selling. A second source said Bush had put together a group of wealthy investors, with Venezuelan media mogul Gustavo Cisneros among possibilities mentioned. Cisneros declined to discuss the Marlins in an e-mail.

Bush -- who was governor from 1999 to 2007 and now runs an education advocacy group, consults and gives speeches – refused to discuss the matter or confirm whether he would have been Marlins CEO and managing partner if Loria had agreed to sell. Managing partner was the title his brother, George W. Bush, held when he co-owned the Texas Rangers before he was elected President.

MLB rules would have allowed Jeb Bush to become Marlins managing partner even if he owned only a small percentage.

Loria, 72, theoretically would have more incentive to sell after 2014, when he no longer would need to share profits with Miami-Dade County. But a friend of Loria insists that barring a health problem or change of heart, he does not want to sell because he loves owning a team.
    Random thoughts:
    1. It's not a large surprise that the Marlins have a significant number of suitors, despite the failures to have a strong long-term business model.
    2. For no real reason whatsoever other than his country of origin, I'd love Cisneros to be involved in the ownership group.
    3. It's not a direct quote from Loria, but I found it very interesting that the "friend" said that Loria loves owning a team, not the team.
    God would be expecting a first pitch breaking ball in the dirt because humans love to disappoint him.
    - Daft

Here's to health problems

Comment

Did not think Loria was 72 already

Comment

Jeb Bush as managing owner would have been for me.
        Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM Hugg!

Comment

Bush + partners would've been great.

Dodgers of the East.

Baseball in Miami selling out year round is for me.

Comment

Give me a choice between Loria selling within the next five years or winning a World Series, I take Loria selling. That's all I care about and all I have left to root for from the Marlins.

Comment

Give me championships

Comment

I'll take the titles, thanks

Comment

The title over immediate sale is so short sighted. Imagine how healthy the franchise would be if anyone with a clue purchased the team in 2002. That foundation has been so badly squandered, and there's no long-term hope.

Comment

Oh, I wasn't aware continued ownership by Loria was going to deliver us a title. I must've seriously underestimated the Jon Rauch signing.
                    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM Hugg!

Comment

The Marlins make the playoffs so much that I kind of feel like a title is just around the bend. We're SO close, boys.

Comment

Originally posted by Chewford View Post
                        Oh, I wasn't aware continued ownership by Loria was going to deliver us a title. I must've seriously underestimated the Jon Rauch signing.
                        No one suggested a title was on its way
                        --------------------
                        Originally posted by Namaste View Post
                        The Marlins make the playoffs so much that I kind of feel like a title is just around the bend. We're SO close, boys.
                        No one thinks we're close
                        Last edited by Ramp; 02-06-2013, 01:13 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

We're really struggling with the concept of hypotheticals recently, huh?
                          poop

Comment

might need to add a dictionary forum to the site

Comment

Hi Daft!

Comment

Working...
                              X