Marlins 2013 BP Caps, Yes Plural

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Party View Post
    If you're Wayne and you sell your baseball team and keep your football team, wouldn't it make you a great team owner to use a tenant in your building to generate enough income to offset the costs of maintaining your building and paying for capital projects?
    If you're Jeff and you own your baseball team, wouldn't it make you a great team owner to keep operating costs so low that it's impossible for you to lose money no matter how many fans you draw, thus eliminating any variables from the situation?

Comment

Those are two different situations. One makes you a good owner and the other makes you a bad one who makes money. If you're objective in owning a professional team is to make money and be okay with losing you shouldn't be an owner. It's also a bad long term strategy because you are leaving money on the table in the long run by not fielding good teams. A business strategy that's okay with maintaining revenues at the same levels and not growing other sources of revenue makes you a crappy businessman.
      Last edited by Party; 12-29-2012, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Wayne didn't use all the money he got by ephing the Marlins so well.

Plus, it just bothers me that what happened is that you said Wayne would not have done what Loria did. Then Loria would not have done what Wayne did (giving up and ruining the team right after 1997 WS).

Comment

Yeah he did Beef, he pocketed some of it and used some of it to pay for a portion of the $200 million worth of upgrades to Joe Robbie Stadium. He made a ton of money when he sold the team, but that is because he put the organization in a position to remain competitive in the NFL by developing additional revenue streams.

Comment

That's true. He did make some changes to the stadium.

The team sucked.

The stadium needs more changes.

Comment

It's a 25 year old privately financed stadium. That's gonna happen.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but it is inaccurate to say the Dolphins were routinely in the top third of NFL payrolls under Huizenga and especially during the first half of his ownership when they were winning?

Comment

Maybe during the first half of his ownership.

I can only find during the 2000s, when they were in the top 3rd of the NFL payrolls once during his ownership between 2000 and when he sold.

Either way, NFL salaries/salary cap situation is obviously very different.

I guess he gave up on the Dolphins, too.

I'm just saying, it's weird that he's been called a legend and weird that you said he would never do what Loria did. I agree that he never did what Loria did but Loria never did what Wayne did. Like the Braves never made the playoffs last year without Dan Uggla.

Comment

I don't think it's appropriate to call Wayne Huizenga's ownership of the Dolphins great.

Comment

Originally posted by Mainge View Post
                    I don't think it's appropriate to call Wayne Huizenga's ownership of the Dolphins great.
                    Only if you think overseeing the franchise go from one of the best in the NFL to one of the worst is "great". Although I suppose if you ask Jimmy Johnson, Wanny, Nick Saban, and Bill Parcells, they'll tell you he was a great owner. He gave them lots of money in return for very little.

Comment

I don't feel like finding the old uniform thread

darren rovell ‏@darrenrovell
                      Sales for Miami Marlins caps were up 700% with the new logo.

and something only Festa would be interested in:

darren rovell ‏@darrenrovell
                      There are 10,973 stitches in a Miami Marlins New Era cap. That's the most stitches among all MLB teams.
                      10,973 stitches? Those poor 8 year olds.

Comment

Would've been like 1400% if Huizenga owned the team.
                        poop

Comment

the old logo was also the most stitches
                          Originally posted by Madman81
                          Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                          Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Snitches get stitches.
                            poop

Comment

Working...
                            X