X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yea, no one here is making excuses for ownership

Comment

• Originally posted by oakelmpine View Post
      The only thing laughable is this ownership, only most Marlins fans aren't laughing.

The ONLY place I have found people making excuses for them is here.
      What excuses?

Comment

• We all know the Marlins are going to end up botching this. They know they can't keep him but they'll probably hang on to him until he ends up being too expensive to keep but they're forced to move him for something. Other teams will know that, and in the end they won't get fair value for him. It's the Marlins way.

Comment

• Originally posted by sports24/7 View Post
          We all know the Marlins are going to end up botching this. They know they can't keep him but they'll probably hang on to him until he ends up being too expensive to keep but they're forced to move him for something. Other teams will know that, and in the end they won't get fair value for him. It's the Marlins way.
          In management school they call this "The Cabrera".

Comment

• Another Marlin expects to be traded; Canes investigation, Heat chatter
            FRIDAY BUZZ COLUMN

The two most pedigreed Marlins who survived the tumultuous offseason – and then vented on Twitter --- probably won’t be here long-term. But Ricky Nolasco indicated this week he will be a good soldier, and the Marlins expect Giancarlo Stanton will, too.
            Stanton almost assuredly will be here longer than Nolasco.

“I feel pretty sure I’ll be traded sometime before the deadline. It all depends on how I pitch,” Nolasco, due $11.5 million in 2013 (the last year of his contract), said this week at Jeff Conine’s golf event to raise money for Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital.

The Marlins do not plan to trade Stanton anytime soon, but an official in close touch with their front office said the Marlins know he prefers to play out West eventually (the Dodgers, Padres or Angels would be a good bet) and, barring a change of heart by Stanton, the Marlins will consider a trade next winter as he nears free agency after 2016. Or the Marlins could wait until 2015 or ’16, but they don’t want to lose him for nothing.

Stanton will make about $500,000 this season but could earn $8 million in 2014 when he becomes arbitration-eligible.

Stanton hasn’t spoken to Marlins writers but said “yeah” when asked by USA Today last week if he’s still angry: “It’s tough. You’re not always happy with some things that go on. That’s life. There’s nothing I can do.” He told the Los Angeles Times: “I’ve said I was upset. [But] you can’t be hoping you’re on other teams.”

Stanton tweeted “Alright, I’m pissed off!!!” after the Marlins’ salary-dumping trade with Toronto, and Nolasco tweeted: “You gotta be [expletive, expletive] me” after Ozzie Guillen was fired – a tweet he said this week he does not regret.

Agent Matt Sosnick said in December than Nolasco wants to be traded. But Nolasco, the likely opening day starter, indicated this week he’s fine with being here, believing he’s likely to be dealt at some point in the coming months.

Asked if he’s still angry, he said: “No. I’m moving on. It’s nothing to be angry about anymore. I had a certain reaction to [the offseason moves], but whatever they do is their problem, their business. I’m going to handle it in a professional way and not let it distract me.

“I’m grateful for the contract I got here and am looking forward to finishing it out on a positive note. I love the city, the organization, the stadium and the fans. I’m excited about it. There are some very talented players on this team. It just depends on how they progress.”

Marlins executive Larry Beinfest said he never expected “a lot of our players would be happy with some of the moves” but predicts Stanton and Nolasco “are going to perform and be good Marlins. You’re talking about good people.”

### Former Dolphins quarterback bust Pat White, a second-team All-American as a high-school baseball player, told WMEN-640's Orlando Alzugaray on Thursday that he has an offer from the Marlins to attend minor-league camp but has neither accepted nor rejected it. White told reporters at the Senior Bowl that he wants another NFL shot, but feels strongly about playing quarterback.
            Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sport...#storylink=cpy

Comment

• lol Pat White.

Comment

• I can't wait to read the enthusiastic support for the Giancarlo trade from Hugg and friends next off season.
                Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM Hugg!

Comment

• They don't want to lose Stanton for nothing but he's worth more now than he will be next offseason when whatever team that gets him will have to pay him big money.

Comment

• and wait til you see the return they get for him.

What happens then ? Unless they get lucky and land another superstar, they are then up shit's creek. No future HoF'er to trade away - think about it, they could actually vie for the old Mets 1962 40 win season, multiple years in a row.

Comment

• Well to be fair, an asteroid could land on top of my car on my way to Miami later but it's not likely.

But, yeah, I totally expect the Marlins to do the unthinkable and not lock up Stanton. It's the unthinkable because well, you know, Cabrera.

Comment

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post
                        Well to be fair, an asteroid could land on top of my car on my way to Miami later but it's not likely.

But, yeah, I totally expect the Marlins to do the unthinkable and not lock up Stanton. It's the unthinkable because well, you know, Cabrera.
                        Two almost sure fire HoF'ers in less than 10 years traded away. Great way to build a winning franchise and fan loyalty Loria.

Comment

• I can just picture the front office:

Individual A:

"Hey, lets offer Stanton a long-term deal to keep him a Marlin for the rest of his career"

Individual B:

"No way. He would never accept a long-term contract. He wants to play out West. We are better off trading him."

Honestly, if you're going to trade him just do it already. Take the huge package from TX or SD and get it done. They are probably able to get a good enough package to make them a better team right away and into the future. I love Stanton and I wish he stays, but if he really does want out, then pull the trigger.

Comment

• Gotta love the article when it mentions LAA or LAD and how he wants to play out West. San Diego/Seattle are the only teams out West I would even take calls from and no matter what they could offer it still won't come close to a Texas offer

Texas tho is still gonna be the team to beat,they have told pretty much told anyone who would listen. The day Stanton is put on the market they will have a deal that Miami can't pass on.

I just hope we realize that unlike Upton,Stanton has no clauses in his contract. If we wanna deal him,take the best deal and let the new team send him to the West Coast.

Big Z-The FO is already saying that. Which is the reason why the talk around the league won't stop.

Comment

• Again, if that deal includes Profar/Olt/Perez/one of Martin/Grimm/Buckel, yeah...that's pretty damn hard to pass up on. If it's anything short of that, don't even talk to them, but Texas has the best to offer and would be the only team that makes sense.

This team is going into rebuilding mode AGAIN for the next few years, and Stanton's gonna want out at some point. Might as well trade him to Texas, who has the best players to offer, while his value is at its all time highest.

But knowing the Marlins we'll see them wait until Stanton has a down year or gets injured to trade him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post
                                It's the unthinkable because well, you know, Cabrera.
                                Doesn't that make it totally "thinkable?"

Comment

Working...
                                X