Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JCR said he heard Reid Cornelius would be pitching coach
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Glad to see Perry hill back

Comment

The hitting coach will be Pete Rose Jr.

Just to antagonize Polky.

Comment

Tim Raines Jr
          Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.

Comment

Originally posted by Mainge View Post
            Beef and I.
            Thought Beef would be the gm? Can you handle the hitting and pitching? Trying to save money round here.

Comment

Doesn't really matter who the hell the manager is as long as Beinfest is still picking the players for them. Don't care.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Godfather View Post
                Doesn't really matter who the hell the manager is as long as Beinfest is still picking the players for them. Don't care.
                Pretty much. Earl Weaver could be our manager and it wouldn't matter. It's all about the talent.

Comment

Connie Mack

Comment

Originally posted by Fish Tank Frenzy View Post
                    Pretty much. Earl Weaver could be our manager and it wouldn't matter. It's all about the talent.
                    I think he's done better the last couple of years. His drafting has come up a bit.

I hope we can start to put some of the negativity behind us and look forward ! Loria hopefully learned his lesson and will step back a bit and let baseball people do their jobs.

Maybe, just maybe hiring Red is the 1st step in the right direction.

Just trying to be optimistic
                    Last edited by oakelmpine; 11-02-2012, 08:51 AM.

Comment

With a first-time big-league manager, it will be imperative for the Miami Marlins to put a trusted resource by Mike Redmond's side as his bench coach.

Ideally, that bench coach should be fluent in Spanish to help handle that increasingly important clubhouse dynamic.

A source told me ex-Yankee first baseman Tino Martinez is under consideration for Redmond's staff, but more likely as hitting coach.

John Boles, now 64 and a senior advisor in the Royals front office, would be a perfect choice if he were to willing to go back to the daily grind in the dugout.

Someone like Cookie Rojas or Tony Perez -- two other ex-Marlins managers -- would be a great resource, but those baseball legends (and current Marlins employees) are 73 and 70, respectively.

Hall of Famer Andre Dawson could do it, but it's believed he prefers to stay in his special assistant's role in the Marlins front office.

Ron Hassey,
                      the ex-big league catcher and coach now managing the Marlins' Triple-A New Orleans club, would be a solid choice too.

The key will be finding someone who's had to make those tough, split-second decisions on the major league level but who doesn't have aspirations of returning (or ascending) to the role.

Failing that, I could see Redmond wanting to hire someone like Mike Mordecai, Andy Fox or Dave Berg. All those former Marlins utility players (and ex-teammates of Redmond) have stayed in the game in some capacity and would have much to offer while remaining loyal to the rookie skipper.

Plus, they would know what the heck Redmond was talking about when he brought up "naked flips."
                      http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/m...0,792196.story

With the exception of Tino who supposedly Berardino has heard rumors about, that's all just name-checking. Tino is an interesting pick for the staff. I'd like to see a baseball lifer/former manager as bench coach with Redmond there. I agree with Berardino that it shouldn't be someone who wants to become a manager again. A guy like Jerry Manuel would be awesome (ties to the team, speaks Spanish, managerial experience) but also names like Larry Bowa, Jerry Narron, Gene Lamont, Willie Randolph, etc. would be interesting.

The more I think about it the more I like Jerry Manuel though.

Comment

Andre Dawson prefers to do nothing and get paid for it. Don't blame him.

Comment

In his first public appearance as the new Miami Marlins manager, former Twin Mike Redmond said the team will be "getting back to basics from day one: pitching, defense, and near-constant nudity."

Redmond, who was clothed throughout his introductory press conference at Marlins Park, was clearly thrilled with the opportunity to be a big league manager, and said he was looking forward to guiding the team with whom he broke into the majors in 1998.

"This is where it all started for me. Learning the ropes, calling games, pantslessness, it all began here."

The longtime MLB catcher, known for his humor, hustle and taking naked batting practice, said his priority was to teach the Marlins' young players the fundamentals of the game. "A lot of these kids, they think once they're in the show, they don't need to move a runner over, or they forget how to hit the cutoff. That won't happen on my watch. Also, if you ain't out there shagging flies in the altogether, maybe you ain't starting that day. It's that simple."

Redmond was also clear on what he wanted out of his pitching staff in 2013. "We're not gonna get cute. We're gonna throw strikes, we're gonna move guys off the plate, and there's gonna be some peen out there in the bullpen."

The new manager was asked how his approach would be different from the fiery Ozzie Guillen, who lasted just one season with Miami. "I have all the respect in the world for Ozzie," said Redmond. "Things just didn't work for him here. Talking to some of the guys, not a one of them took BP with a helmet, a jock and a smile. You want to get loose at the plate, it helps to have those cheeks hanging out there in the breeze. Bring that approach to the game, and now you've got something."

Redmond added that he was thrilled to be coaching in a warm weather city like Miami.

"You get all that heat and humidity, right there's a home-field advantage for you," said Redmond. "I know the park's air-conditioned, but that thickness is always there, lingering. We'll get out there running around full-on nude, air out the undercarriage, and we'll be raring to go for the first pitch. The guys on the other side, maybe they're not adjusted to it, they get a little swass-y by the 2nd or 3rd inning, and there's that mental edge you need if you're going to compete for a pennant."
                          http://www.twinkietown.com/2012/11/2...g-defense-near

Comment

That's not real.
                            --------------------
                            Is it?
                            Last edited by Mainge; 11-02-2012, 01:43 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

What time is the press conference and if its already happened is there a link to video ? I couldn't find one.

Comment

Originally posted by Mainge View Post
                                That's not real.
                                --------------------
                                Is it?
                                I know that. That's why I laughed 5 times.
                                --------------------
                                Originally posted by beinfest_virus.exe View Post
                                I know that. That's why I laughed 5 times.
                                haha, I don't think so. It was posted at 10:03 AM, would have been before the presser
                                Last edited by emkayseven; 11-02-2012, 01:50 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Working...
                                X