X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marlins Name Mike Redmond Manager; Perry Hill Also Returns

Yay?

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal
    Source #Marlins hire Mike Redmond, 3-year deal. First reported by @JonHeymanCBS. Marlins also have hired Perry Hill as infield/1B coach.
    LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

PERRY HILL.

OFFSEASON: SUCCESS.
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

I would guess Brad Hand will switch numbers to allow Redmond to wear 52.

Comment

I think Redmond's gonna do a good job, but who knows for sure.

Perry Hill!

Comment

perry hill coming back is a huge plus

Comment

Redmond is who they wanted from the start

Loria interviewed Bowa cause he was hoping for some of the old school Jack magic and McClendon was interviewed to satisfy the minority guy requirement

Comment

couldn't care less about Redmond, so excited about Perry Hill
              Originally posted by Madman81
              Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
              Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Benny Hill would've been a more inspired choice, but Perry Hill will do.
                --------------------
                @OzzieGuillen
                congrats mike redmond for u new job good luck buddy u have great guys going to play for you
                Last edited by TheMendozaLine; 11-01-2012, 12:59 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

In 1999, when I was working for The Sun in Baltimore, the Orioles hired Sammy Ellis to be their seventh pitching coach in seven seasons.

I wrote a column in which I mostly declined to refer Ellis by name, calling him No. 7 instead. There was no point in getting too familiar. And sure enough, Ellis lasted only one season.

Which brings us to the Miami Marlins’ hiring of Mike Redmond to be their fifth manager in less than three years and eighth in less than 10 — counting Jack McKeon twice and not counting Brandon Hyde, who managed only one game.

With all due respect to Redmond, who is highly respected and admired within the game, there is only one proper thing to call him:

Interim.

The Marlins will prattle on about how Redmond signed a three-year contract, but pay them no mind. Ozzie Guillen had a four-year contract. Joe Girardi had a three-year contract. Look where it got them.

Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria can offer reasons for every change — an employer can always find reasons for dumping employees, and Guillen certainly had it coming.

But why should anyone trust the Marlins’ latest move to work?

Loria has yet to prove that he can build a successful long-term relationship with a manager. Fredi Gonzalez, who lasted the longest — three-plus seasons — told the Miami Herald in September, “There’s not a manager dead or alive that Jeffrey thinks is good enough. Not Connie Mack, not anyone.”

Loria shot back, calling Gonzalez’s remark was “classless” and saying that the manager was “a colossal failure” with the Marlins. But Gonzalez, now with the Atlanta Braves, is one of the more mild-mannered men in the sport. And the Marlins’ recent roll call of managers certainly supports Gonzalez’s criticism of Loria.

2003: Jeff Torborg, McKeon.
                  2004-05: McKeon.
                  2006: Girardi.
                  2007-09: Gonzalez.
                  2010: Gonzalez, Edwin Rodriguez.
                  2011: Rodriguez, Hyde, McKeon.
                  2012: Guillen.

So, should we offer Redmond congratulations or condolences?

Congratulations — to a point. Redmond, 41, actually stands a chance of becoming a decent manager, if Loria allows it to happen.

The St. Louis Cardinals’ Mike Matheny and Chicago White Sox’s Robin Ventura proved last season that a manager can succeed with little or no experience. Redmond, after retiring in 2010, managed two years in the low minors with the Toronto Blue Jays, which is more than either Matheny or Ventura could say when they were hired.

The Marlins have purged two of their cancers from last season, third baseman Hanley Ramirez and closer Heath Bell. They figure to display their trademark aggression this winter, even if they spend less lavishly than they did a year ago. And, in addition to Redmond, they have hired back Perry Hill, one of the game’s best instructors, as their first-base and infield coach.

At some point, though, they will need stability.

Their front office remains factionalized. Their clubhouse lacks a veteran core. And their manager seems to change every year.

Redmond is the latest interim, managing until further notice.
                  Temp job: No security with Marlins

That pretty much sums up how I feel about Redmond given Loria's track record. Perry Hill is a nice addition.

Comment

Good luck Mike especially in having to deal with Loria.

I have to guess most guys will have better years next year and tha will help. The Marlins won't finish in 5th next year but I think 3rd is possible in the NL East.

Comment

Originally posted by mbitcronod12 View Post
                      Wish I had a job where I could complain about a lack of job security while being paid three year's worth of salary for one year of work, though.
                      poop

Comment

Brian Flynn ‏@TheBFlynn
                        Really excited about Mike Redmond being named the new #Marlins skipper. Used to be on my video game fantasy draft team.
                        Good shit

Comment

Perry Hill.

Comment

Maybe Perry should of been manager? We don't care about anything else.

On another note wonder who ends being the pitching and hitting coaches?

Comment

Beef and I.

Comment

Working...
                              X