General 2013 Suns Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, I was kind wrong apparently:

After 134 games this year, the Suns’ playoff aspirations come down to these final two contests. Jacksonville enters tonight a half game back of the Mobile BayBears for first place in the South Division second half standings, while the Suns are a game ahead of the Mississippi Braves.

There are 16 different permutations for the next two days for what can happen between the Suns and BayBears. Five of them (or 31%) of those different scenarios favor Jacksonville. They would need to win both tonight and tomorrow night, in addition to at least one Mobile loss, or the BayBears would need to lose both, while the Suns would have to win just one of the next two contests if that were to happen.

As for the Braves, they can clinch the Wild Card spot tonight should they win, coupled with a BayBears victory. There is no scenario for the Suns that would clinch them a playoff berth tonight.

Things get complicated too by the fact that the BayBears won the first half title earlier this year. League rules state that should a team win both halves, the club with the next best overall record would move on to the postseason. Here’s how the overall standings currently stack up:

9-1 Overall Standings

Mississippi leads Jacksonville by 1.5 games in the overall standings, so should the Suns win the next two games, they would be guaranteed a postseason berth no matter how Mobile finishes.

Over the next two days, there’s sure to be a playoff atmosphere both in Jacksonville at Bragan Field and in Mobile, Ala. at Hank Aaron Stadium. The BayBears tonight face the Pensacola Blue Wahoos at 6:05 p.m. ET, while the Suns and Braves start at 7:05 p.m. ET.
    LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

That's an awful lot of potential scenarios, but they all end in the same result of no one giving a shit.

Comment

Five of them (or 31%) of those different scenarios
        Writer person did that thing I don't like

Comment

You really don't care if the Suns make the playoffs or not?

Comment

I do not.

Comment

I will celebrate Loria and his ability to tell Beinfest who to put in the minors if they make the playoffs.

Comment

Oh, guess I'm the only one that's excited. Oh well.

Comment

Working...
                X