This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2013 Miami Marlins Thread: Looking Forward

The Marlins want a legitimate power bat at third base, especially if they open the season with Donovan Solano at second. Miami is expected to consider a variety of options for third base, Capozzi writes.
    -MLB Trade Rumors

By legitimate, they mean Donnie Murphy because he was on a tear at AAA.

Hopefully I'm wrong, but I see us starting the season with Murphy, Dobbs, Solano or Bonifacio at 3B.
    Last edited by Big Z; 09-14-2012, 10:55 AM.

Ugh please don't open the season with Solano at 2B
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Solano at 2B means Bonifacio in CF I assume.

Comment

or maybe Bonifacio at 2B, Solano at 3B, Ruggiano in CF and we can bring back Lee to play 1B so LoMo is in LF!!!!!!

Then half way through the year we can stick Dobbs at 3B
        Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.

Comment

Solano as a backup is cool, but starting? Really front office?
          LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

Are there even any good 3B on the market this offseason? Only one I can think of that's halfway decent is Peralta.

Comment

And his option will likely be picked up by Detroit. So, no, there isn't. Eric Chavez, Kevin Youkilis, Mark Reynolds and Jeff Keppinger are the "best" available.
              LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

wouldn't mind youk for one year if he didn't get crazy money

Comment

Reynolds because if nothing else, him and Stanton in the same lineup would be hilarious.
                  Last edited by Mainge; 09-14-2012, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Just to throw it out there as I really see no other option at 3B if they want a good one, how about yelich, hand/conley, cox, and a RP prospect for Headley and say they throw marlins one of their nominal lame OF who are better than gorkys, petersen, cousins, mattison, etc lame OF.

I know he's on a peak year, but he is pretty awesome regardless. He'd probably sign a 5/$60-65 deal as he's still in arb and doesn't quite comp to beltre ($80 mil). Have to imagine SD goes for a Yelich package as they don't want to pay Headley and have another 3B in their ranks. End of the day, Yelich is a LF and Ozuna is smacking HR. I'll take chances there versus the total dicks around baseball at 3B.

If they add in BJ/Bourn in free agency, entire position allotment is set long term assuming Ruggiano and eventually Ozuna handle LF, Brantly/Realmuto hold down C, and Morrison works out. They'd need a 2B in 2015 once Bonifacio is off books, but that shouldnt be an issue.

That could be a really scary lineup fast if Morrison and Brantly hit, Ruggiano remains Cody Level, and Headley and BJ (both in prime) do what their projections say. It wouldn't hurt payroll that much either as long as they buy out Stanton. There is probably evne funds to resign JJ.

Comment

Never in a million years would I deal Yelich for Headley. I like Headley, but he isn't worth Yelich. Guy has only had one year of an .800+ OPS, and that's this year. It's not like he's that young, either. He's 28.

Comment

Nothing is gonna be done until the FO stuff is resolved

The plan for 2013 right now is

1B-Vet 1B(Prolly Lee)/LoMo
                        2B-Boner/Solano
                        3B-?
                        LF-LoMo/Ruggiano
                        CF-Ruggiano/Boner

2014 is the target date!!! Now the plan for 2014 looks like this

C-Brantly
                        1B-LoMo
                        2B-Boner
                        SS-Reyes
                        3B-?
                        LF-Yelich/Ozuna
                        CF-Yelich or ? Ruggiano #4 OF
                        RF-Stanton

Damn that Lee for Dominguez deal looks worse everyday Even tho he is not great Matt would have been a serviceable 3B. If we draft Bryant or Moran,either 1 of them could possibly be ready for 2015 tho

Comment

I'm okay with not doing much this offseason. The FA market is slim and I'd like to see us bring up some of our farm products in '13 to see what they can do.

Comment

Originally posted by Valid View Post
                            Never in a million years would I deal Yelich for Headley. I like Headley, but he isn't worth Yelich. Guy has only had one year of an .800+ OPS, and that's this year. It's not like he's that young, either. He's 28.
                            He's worth much, much, more than Yelich and the Marlins would be lucky to get him. He's been the 5th best 3B in baseball (Cabrera if he counts, Beltre, Longoria, Zimmerman) since the start of 2010 and in his prime. If you are worried about his offense, look at his road splits and career .681 OPS in petco. That is going way way way up when he gets out of there. Honestly, I don't know why San Diego wants to move him even with Gyorko, but if they do, Marlins should be all over him. If Yelich played a different position, I would be more hesitant. But he doesn't.

Team can find a LF (and assuming they are smart and get a CF, they might already have the LF internally with Ruggiano and Ozuna), there is nothing, absolutely nothing, for years in free agency at 3B and nothing in the draft that helps before likely 2016.

Just throwing it out there. Yelich is an awesome prospect and I like him a lot, but if they can fix 3B with a longterm stud top 4-7 guy at his position in his prime, no brainer. LF is the easiest position to fill. This team can annually find someone better in LF than what Cox and the Macier Izturis/Kelly Johnson free agents of the world would bring.

Comment

I'm not big on using positions to evaluate players. I think if the guy is good, he's good. It doesn't matter if there are a lot of other left fielders out there. I just think Yelich is going to be incredibly special, and if that's the case, then I don't care if his position is easier to fill than say catcher or third base.

Then again, I thought the same thing with Morrison, so what do I know.

Comment

Working...
                              X