Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Marlins Organization to Get Thorough Post-season Review from "angry" Jeffrey Loria

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marlins Organization to Get Thorough Post-season Review from "angry" Jeffrey Loria

NEW YORK —

No matter how the Marlins play each season, the front office always meets in October to review the organization’s performance.

Given that the club is on its way to one of the most disappointing finishes in franchise history, the meetings with owner Jeffrey Loria two months from now will be even more serious than usual.

“I think it’s going to be an interesting October, a little different than the October we envisioned,’’ team president David Samson said.

“Jeffrey is going to look at everything from me to Larry (Beinfest, baseball operations president) to Mike (Hill, general manager) to Ozzie (Guillen, manager) to (equipment manager) John Silverman. He’s angry and he should be.’’

Samson wouldn’t speculate on what, if any, changes might be in store for the Marlins, who are 49-60 as they open a three-game series Tuesday at the New York Mets.

“It was not one thing,’’ he said about what has gone wrong over the first 109 games. “That’s sort of the message to the fans, that this year has to be an anomaly.’’

For now, the Marlins’ goal for the final 53 games will be to climb back to the respectability of a .500 record. But even that seems remote. Miami — which has won just 18 of its past 50 — would have to go 32-21 the rest of the way to finish 81-81.

Last year, the Marlins were 54-55 after 109 games en route to a 72-90 finish. That team had a $57.6 million opening-day payroll. But the 2012 team, with an opening-day payroll of $101.6 million, was built to win.

“The craziest thing is the money was spent this year and for whatever reason the combination of players wasn’t right,’’ Samson said.

“This was an all-in season, there’s no doubt about that. The moves we made were an effort to win and they have not panned out.’’

The team traded away six key players in four deals last month: third baseman Hanley Ramirez, second baseman Omar Infante, starting pitcher Anibal Sanchez, first baseman Gaby Sanchez and relievers Randy Choate and Edward Mujica.

“Not one trade that was done was payroll-motivated,” Samson said. “It was chemistry-motivated, it was winning motivated.’’

The most significant move was trading away Ramirez, who underperformed and whose attitude was said to have hurt the atmosphere in the clubhouse.

Since he was traded July 25, the Marlins are 4-8. One bright spot during that time has been Jose Reyes, who replaced Ramirez at shortstop this spring and currently has a 24-game hitting streak. He is hitting .408 in his last 49 at-bats.

The Marlins next year will look to anchor the team around Reyes and slugger Giancarlo Stanton, who had knee surgery July 8 and is scheduled to return to the lineup Tuesday.

What the rest of the team looks like next year remains to be seen.

Samson said the team will consider adding key players this winter through free-agent signings and trades, although it wouldn’t be on the scale of the $190 million spending spree that brought in Reyes, starter Mark Buehrle and reliever Heath Bell.

Reyes and Buehrle have played well. But Bell, who signed a three-year, $27 million contract, has blew six of 25 save chances in the first half and lost his closer’s job.

“The players we have right now should be winning games. It is clear the evaluation was wrong on certain players but that’s a constant process of seeing what you are doing right and what you are doing wrong and changing,’’ Samson said.

“We don’t want to not admit mistakes.’’

Asked if his confidence in the baseball operations staff has wavered, Samson said: “I don’t look at it like that. We have been together a long time. I don’t evaluate on a day to day basis like that. I would say that this year took a lot out of everyone, including me.’’

Samson didn’t suggest that he or Loria thinks Guillen deserves an extra share of the blame. The season wasn’t even a week old when the team suspended Guillen five games for public comments sympathetic to Cuban dictator Fidel Castro.

“Ozzie is Ozzie and the coaching staff is the coaching staff. They can’t go out there,’’ Samson said. “We gave them the players and they have used them in the exact way we envisioned them being used.”

That doesn’t mean the coaching staff will be immune from changes.

“That’s something that Jeffrey will address because that’s his purview,’’ Samson said.

The season has not been a total disaster. The Marlins’ home attendance is 18th among 30 teams with an average of 28,405. Last year the Marlins were 29th with an average of 18,772. Samson said fans have been raving about the new Marlins Park.

“So that has a much longer-lasting legacy and it feels good that we were able to accomplish that,’’ he said. “It is certainly tempered by the fact that this season we had completely different visions of how it would go.’’
    Entire Miami Marlins organization can expect thorough post-season review from “angry” owner Jeffrey Loria

If Loria really wants to win he would get rid of his family in laws (Samson) and friends (Beinfest) and hire some real baseball minds who will stand up to Loria and do what's best for the team.

Comment

Isn't that sort of flawed logic in thinking that Loria would look to hire people that would go against what he ultimately wants to pay for to be on the team he owns.

Comment

I think that The Godfather is saying that Beinfest and Samson are 'yes' men and won't stand up to Loria and tell him to shut up that they know best. i.e. Heath Bell.

Comment

Firing Samson would certainly make a difference in our ability to acquire and develop talent. Yay!
          poop

Comment

There's no reason to fire Samson.

He's actually quite good at his job.

Comment

Samson seems to play a part in the baseball decisions, though; that's the thing.

Comment

Since this fits into the whole off-season topic:

Grading the Marlins on the Hanley Ramirez trade will be about more than Nate Eovaldi’s performance. Eovaldi becoming a productive, long-term member of the rotation will go a long way toward putting this transaction in the win column. The trade that sent Ramirez and Randy Choate to the Dodgers for Eovaldi, a 22-year-old, hard-throwing right-hander, also had a big financial component.

The Dodgers absorbed all of the remaining money on Ramirez’s contract, close to $40 million through 2014. Fans and media have an expectation that money will be re-invested in the club as the front office continues its reconfiguration of this underperforming roster. Sunday, team President David Samson was asked specifically about the Ramirez deal and how the re-allocation of the freed-up money factors into his evaluation of it.

“I hope our fans don’t want to see us waste the money on bad players,” Samson said. “It’s a wait-and-see to me not on his contract or that savings. It’s a wait-and-see on our team performing. The wait-and-see for us is on putting the team back together, and where the payroll ends up, it ends up. It’s much more about the pieces than about the splashes.”

Beyond Heath Bell, the Marlins have not gotten the expected return on their long-term contracts. So far so good on Mark Buehrle and Jose Reyes had come around, but from Hanley Ramirez to Ricky Nolasco to Josh Johnson even, the Marlins have not made wise investments.

“We’ve always said long-term contracts are very difficult,” Samsons said. “When we were not in a position to sign long-term contracts we seem to have better results, which is a very interesting concept. We were forced into not doing things that ended up helping our team. When we had some flexibility to sign them…I can go to any team and look at long-term contracts that aren’t working out. There’s certainly a lesson to be learned there. It’s not that you can’t do long-term contracts, you just have to be right. The teams who win get it right.”

Don’t take that to mean the Marlins are out of the long-term contract business.

“That’s like saying when you lose money on a stock you’ll never buy a stock again,” Samson said. “We’re going to buy stocks again because we do, but if you’re wrong too many times you go bankrupt.”
                http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports...rez-trade.html

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
                  Firing Samson would certainly make a difference in our ability to acquire and develop talent. Yay!
                  Who said it would??? What a stupid and useless statement to make. I want Samson gone because the president of a baseball team should have some working knowledge of baseball. Who is going to be the person in charge to hire the new GM when Beinfest is gone? You're comfortable with it being Samson?

The stadium has been built, he swindled the expos into the Marlins now if Loria is really serious about winning it's time for Samson to go back to working at Morgan Stanley cold calling people.

Comment

:-)

You go right on ahead thinking that getting rid of Samson will make any difference. This is definitely not a fight I'm looking for.
                    poop

Comment

Don't a lot see Eovaldi as a reliever more so than a 4/5 guy?
                      LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

MIAMI—After a disappointing start to their inaugural season in Marlins Park, Miami Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria unveiled plans Friday to build a new waterfront stadium at Mid-Beach, tentatively called Marlins Field. "We made a lot of great memories at Marlins Park, but our fans need a modern facility capable of housing a winning team," said Loria, who expects funding for the project to be approved by the city and county governments. "This is something we can't solve just by renaming the team the Southeastern Miami Marlins, changing our colors to maroon and gold, hiring a new manager, and installing a sculpture of a giant mermaid who dances with six glittering, spinning marlins every time the team hits a home run, though certainly we will do all of those things." Loria said the Marlins will be conducting yet another fire sale to rid themselves of their recently signed star free agents, but added that he hopes the new stadium will be able to draw star free agents to Miami.
                        I think the source is obvious.
                        Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM Hugg!

Comment

Originally posted by Hugg View Post
                          There's no reason to fire Samson.

He's actually quite good at his job.
                          That depends what you lump into his job description and what you credit him for.

I don't think it's fair to say that he's exceptional at his job because it's not exceptionally hard to run a professional sports team well, I would actually think it's harder to run one into the ground (and he's done that, albeit in a shared capacity).

I don't blame the state of the team on Samson, but as the "face" of the organization (and an organization that I find very hard to support) he certainly doesn't make it easier to "like" them. I also think that if he were less public, people would probably like him more (or, at the very least, be indifferent).

Comment

I think it is fair to question why they continually play players out of position (Coghlan CF when he should have been exclusively 2B/3B, Bonifacio always at 2B/SS, Morrison always at 1B, lesser extent Hanley at SS when he didn't translate well to 3B), why there is no minor league depth in AAA (Ruggiano has unbelievably bailed out Beinfest this year here but still doesn't change things), why have multiple young players regressed (Morrison, Coghlan, Gaby, Hayes, Webb, Dunn) and most importantly, why was 33% of opening day payroll committed to Hanley, Nolasco, Bell, and Buck, who all suck.

I do not think heads will roll and the front office gets another offseason, because realistically we can all explain the team has been really hurt all year, how no one could have expected Hanley to suck this much 3 years ago, how Bell and Buck completely have imploded worse than anyone could have imagined, how Nolasco did not catch up to his FIP, and how out of position guys were all short term ideas to fit around other pieces, but at the same time maybe not having as much of a leash to spend in FA.

I think Loria will be more hesitant to hand out a big big free agent contract with these guys, seeing how others have imploded. I can see him telling them, I'll give you one big one, but you better figure everything out on cheap one year deals.

Comment

And then he'll use it on BJ Upton and get fired next fall.

Comment

Working...
                              X