Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Should The Marlins Do In The Off-Season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

egads that lineup is all kinds of yuck

never thought I'd long for Todd Hollandsworth
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by bell_virus.exe View Post
      egads that lineup is all kinds of yuck

never thought I'd long for Todd Hollandsworth
      eh. Stanton, Reyes, and signing a big CF would be three really positive guys, you'd hope Morrison becomes a fourth, hope to get league average out of Buck, Bonifacio, and the LF platoon, and pray to god someone shows up at 3B. I don't think any of that is unreasonable to think happens.

Keeping Cox in AA/AAA would be nice, and signing a more 'legit' 3B.

Comment

Question, I believe Peteresen is out of options next year while Cousins is not. Anyone confirm that? I know Gorkys is.
        LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

Mike fontenot was DFA. Solid 3b

Comment

Yuck. No thanks.

Comment

I would probably think that the team realistically doesn't have much of a shot next year in this division and not give out big contracts.

Fill the holes with stopgap, platoon players.

I wouldn't mind an Eric Chavez, Jeff Keppinger/Jeff Baker sort of platoon at 3B next year.

If they decide they want something big, it should be a CF'er. Considering the spacious ballpark, Michael Bourn would be a perfect fit. It sucks that he's having a career year in terms of power, which will likely lead to some team overpaying (probably the Nationals, they've wanted a CF'er for awhile now).

Comment

I agree with Erick. Eric Chavez and Michael Bourn are the two best options in free agency to play 3B/CF. Chavez can easily produce a Jorge Cantu caliber season at 3rd if he stays healthy, and Michael Bourn is the nicest fit out of the free agents. It sucks he'll be overpaid, but unless we are banking on Hernandez/Ruggiano in CF next season, we gotta get one of Bourn/Upton/Cabrera/Victorino.

The bullpen can be refilled with some cheap guys (the old success formula of the Marlins), and the starting rotation will fill itself out with Eovaldi/Turner/Hand/Sanabia to be the 4/5 guys, most likely Eovaldi and Turner.
                Last edited by dim; 08-02-2012, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Erick View Post
                  I would probably think that the team realistically doesn't have much of a shot next year in this division and not give out big contracts.

Fill the holes with stopgap, platoon players.

I wouldn't mind an Eric Chavez, Jeff Keppinger/Jeff Baker sort of platoon at 3B next year.

If they decide they want something big, it should be a CF'er. Considering the spacious ballpark, Michael Bourn would be a perfect fit. It sucks that he's having a career year in terms of power, which will likely lead to some team overpaying (probably the Nationals, they've wanted a CF'er for awhile now).
                  I've been saying this for weeks

Big CF - BJ/Bourn/Melky, 4-5 years. Fits into production now and future, and now and future budget.

1 year deals for platoon/predominant starter options at 3B, LF, backup catcher. I like Peralta, A. Jones/Hairston/Gomes, and Torrealba. Keppingger, Baker, and Chavez (also macier izturis) are decent fall backs to Peralta. If they buy anything else, 1 year relievers. Offseason.

They could open like this

Buck (veteran C)
                  Morrison (dobbs)
                  Bonifacio (solano)
                  Reyes (solano)
                  Peralta/Keppinger/Baker/Izturis/Chavez/Whoever (dobbs)
                  Jones/Hairston/Gomes (Ruggiano)
                  BJ/Bourn/Melky (ruggiano)
                  Stanton (ruggiano)

B - Dobbs, Veteran C, Ruggiano, Solano

And one bench spot left probably for Cox/Veteran MiLB FA versus Gorkys/Cousins/Mattison/Veteran MILB FA depending on how Ozzie wants to roll with 3B depending on who they get versus outfield flexibility. I'm guessing it would be another IF as they have no problems sending Dobbs, Solano, and Bonifacio into the OF.

Comment

Do you guys think we will look into Greinke at all?

Comment

Working...
                    X