Jacob Turner, SP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jacob Turner, SP

Turner was consistently up to 97 mph with his fastball in high school, touching 99, but is more 90-94 now. He works with a two-seamer that has some tailing life and generates a few more ground balls than his four-seamer does, but not enough to overcome the fact that he doesn't miss bats like he should.

He has a full starter's repertoire, with a power curveball at 77-82 that used to be sharper, a cutter at 84-86 that probably needs to be closer to his fastball in velocity, and a changeup with pretty good action at 86-87. As much as I understand the idea of making starting pitchers more efficient, I don't get the idea of taking a power pitcher like Turner and turning him into a finesse/ground ball guy; I think he's lost a little arm speed, but that could also be a function of trying to 'pitch' too much instead of just letting it go. He alone makes the deal worthwhile for the Marlins, as he's got enough stuff as is to end up a third or fourth starter but isn't far removed from a time when he looked like a possible star. It's quite possible he was just rushed to the majors and hasn't had time to make the necessary adjustments.
    http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/blog/...oit-tigers-mlb
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Right-hander Jacob Turner, acquired by the Marlins in that trade, is scheduled to make his Zephyrs debut Saturday in a start against Iowa.

"We're getting three 'close-to' players. Really in Brantly and Turner, we're getting major-league-ready players," Larry Beinfest, Marlins president of baseball operations, told the Miami Herald. "That makes it more attractive, getting guys you may not have to wait as long for."

Right-hander Brian Flynn -- the third prospect included in the deal that sent Omar Infante and Anibal Sanchez to Detroit -- has been assigned to Double-A in Jacksonville.

The 21-year-old Turner was 1-1 with an 8.03 ERA in three starts for the Tigers and 4-2 with a 3.16 ERA in 10 starts for Triple-A Toledo.

"Our intention is not for (Turner) to be a Triple-A pitcher, so we see him in our rotation (soon)," Beinfest said.
    http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ss...drives_in.html
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.

Comment

Zephyrs pitcher Jacob Turner only arrived in the Crescent City on Wednesday, but he’s already making his mark.

Turner earned a win in his first outing for New Orleans on Saturday, pitching five innings and giving up one run and two hits in a 2-1 win over the Iowa Cubs.

The Zephyrs got Turner, along with catcher Rob Brantly, from Detroit in a trade on Monday.

Even though he earned his first major league win a week ago, Turner began the season in Class A, and quickly worked his way up. Throughout the summer, Turner has pitched in 12 cities, for four different teams and two organizations.

The game didn’t start well for Turner, as he walked the first batter and gave up a leadoff solo home run in the top of the second inning to Iowa center fielder Brett Jackson. But Turner got in a groove shortly after giving up the home run.

“I think it just took a little bit of time to settle in,” he said. “Once I did that, I was fine.”

The humidity, which was in the mid-80s, may have taken its toll on Turner.

“It’s definitely a little bit different climate here than what I was pitching in at Toledo, so I’m getting used to that,” he said.

Zephyrs left fielder Chris Aguila matched Jackson’s home run with a leadoff solo shot in the bottom of the second inning to tie the score at 1.

The score remained tied until a fifth-inning Zephyrs rally. Ryan Mattison reached first base on an infield single as he outran Cubs pitcher Brooks Raley, who was covering first base. A grounder from second baseman Gil Velazquez got through to left-center field and put runners on first and second. Mattison stole third uncontested. After Nick Green struck out, first baseman Mike Cervenak hit a sacrifice fly to right field.

At the start of the sixth inning, Turner was replaced by another newcomer, Jon Link. Turner gave up five hits, one earned run, three walks — one of which was intentional.
      http://www.nola.com/zephyrs/index.ss...rst_start.html

Comment

Even though he earned his first major league win a week ago, Turner began the season in Class A, and quickly worked his way up.
        he was rehabbing for shoulder tendinitis

local writers are the best

Comment

yeah

Comment

Turner earned a win in his first outing for New Orleans on Saturday, pitching five innings and giving up one run and two hits in a 2-1 win over the Iowa Cubs.
            Turner gave up five hits, one earned run, three walks ā€” one of which was intentional.
            He only gave up the 2 hits.

Comment

Any report on where his velocity was?

Comment

Z's starter Jacob Turner pitched six shutout innings allowing eight hits, walked two and struck-out two in the no decision.
                http://www.sportsnola.com/sports/zep...utout-win.html

Comment

Jacob Turner is scheduled to start Friday for Triple-A New Orleans. His next appearance after that could be in the majors.

The Marlins are debating whether to promote Turner to start one of the doubleheader games Wednesday in Phoenix. Manager Ozzie Guillen said the conversation right now is what the team would do with him after that game.

One possibility the club is kicking around: a six-man rotation.

"All of a sudden, we don't know if we're going to keep him or take him or send him back," Guillen said. "There are a lot of conversations. Too many starters."

Guillen added he should have a better idea Friday. Under ideal circumstances, the Marlins would start Turner on Wednesday and keep him here the remainder of the season, but none of their five starters is an obvious candidate to go to the bullpen.

One problem with a six-man rotation is off days. Starting Aug. 23, the team has three in a span of eight days, which means some guys will have two extra days of rest. Turner also could head back to New Orleans for one more start before returning in September once rosters expand.

The Marlins also are considering using two starters in tandem. Turner could piggyback with someone already in the rotation.

Turner in four starts for New Orleans, since the Marlins acquired him as the centerpiece of the Anibal Sanchez/Omar Infante trade with the Tigers, is 2-0 with a 2.42 ERA, 10 walks and 13 strikeouts in 22 1/3 innings.
                  http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/201...ilio-bonifacio

that last sentence has to be the most poorly-written sentence in the history of sentences

Comment

He gonna start tomorrow for the Marlin Fish.
                    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM Hugg!

Comment

From Jon Sickels' pre-season pitching prospects in review (he's going through his preseason list and looking at the rankings)

8) Jacob Turner, RHP, Detroit Tigers, Grade A-: Traded to Marlins, went 7-4, 2.58 in 19 starts in three different leagues, 73/43 K/BB in 112 innings, 96 hits. In the majors, went 2-5 in 10 starts with a 4.42 ERA and a 36/16 K/BB in 55 innings, 50 hits. The Tigers were very aggressive with him. At this point I see him more as a mid-rotation guy than a genuine ace.
                      http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/...pects-part-one

Comment

lol

DENVER — Miami already has King James. How about Prince Jacob?

Since spring training a few of Jacob Turner’s teammates, mainly Alex Sanabia and Tom Koehler, have needled him for what they consider a princely disposition. After Kate, the Duchess of Cambridge, and Prince William of England had their first child this week, Sanabia Tweeted to Turner: “Just want 2 congratulate @Jacob_Turner22 the prince on the arrival of his Royal baby brother. His successor #Silverspoon #Maid will get it

Sanabia later Tweeted: “@msnbc the royal baby isn't 3rd in line to the British throne. @Jacob_Turner22 the big league pitcher is. Get it right! #Royal 2 seamers

Turner’s teammates already called him “Silver spoon” because of his privileged upbringing. The royalty thing began after a golf outing in spring training.

“When things didn’t go right for him he just almost expected someone to come out and fix it, like a butler,” Koehler said. “We started saying he was like royalty. There are times you look at his face and he’s absolutely disgusted by the simplest things. It’s like, ‘Look at these subjects,’ and it just kind of stuck.

“Pretty much whenever we get a chance, like when he comes out from the bullpen we’ll kneel for him. He’s a good sport about it.”

Added Turner, who started Wednesday: “I’ve embraced it. That’s why [Wednesday] the bullpen guys bowed to me when I was in the outfield. They take it to another level. I don’t mind it.”
                        http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/201...bia-king-james
                        LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

probably wouldn't pick up balls after batting practice

Comment

That article actually makes me like Sanabia, Koehler and Turner (for being a good sport) a lot more. That's some funny shit #Maid will get it

Comment

Working...
                            X