No announcement yet.

2013 Draft General Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I saw the title of this thread and immediately thought it was a CSBC draft thread. Whoops.

Comment

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
      Supposedly every year just with different teams(Marlins always tho). Cheap gets u a chance at 1 and crappy gets u a chance at 1. Only issue with it is that u can be both cheap/shit and no promise that u get 2
      With the new limits on slots the extra pick really increases the bonus pool, especially if you manage to get a 1st round supplemental out of it. Do you know how many teams are entered each year, it seemed as though 14 were put in last year's draw and some were excluded from the 1st round section (Tigers).

Comment

Originally posted by Cambridge View Post
        With the new limits on slots the extra pick really increases the bonus pool, especially if you manage to get a 1st round supplemental out of it. Do you know how many teams are entered each year, it seemed as though 14 were put in last year's draw and some were excluded from the 1st round section (Tigers).
        http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...nt_id=26059392

There is link from last year's one,it explains it pretty well about who is in it and how it is run

Comment

Early 2013 Draft Update

Looks like we are going with a position player this year with our Top 4 names

Austin Meadows
          Clint Frazier
          Kris Bryant
          Colin Moran

The Top 4 picks are looking more and more like-Appel,Gray,Manaea,Stanek so it looks like 2 or 3 of those guys will be on the board at #6

Comment

This time 6 months ago I really thought meadows would be the #1 pick
            Originally posted by Madman81
            Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
            Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

I'm gonna get to see Moran this weekend so I'll be paying close attention to him.
              LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
                This time 6 months ago I really thought meadows would be the #1 pick
                Meadows and Frazier are like 1A and 1B as far as HS Guys go however all the teams who pick early need pitching and there are guys that are that good so might work out for us.
                --------------------
                Originally posted by Miamarlin21 View Post
                I'm gonna get to see Moran this weekend so I'll be paying close attention to him.
                Moran is the fall back cheaper option. They prefer the other 3 guys however if they want to much or arent there at #6 Moran could be our guy
                Last edited by tjfla; 04-23-2013, 12:15 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Ya alot of mocks have us going with Moran or Meadows. The Top 3 picks are prolly gonna be pitchers and Minnesota loves Bryant,Meadows would prolly sign for close to slot or over and be an OF/1B. Moran would prolly sign for less,stay at 3B and be fast tracked to the majors

What we need to do is figure out what plan we wanna use
                  Plan 1 could be #1 BPA(Meadows/Frazier),#1S College Arm and then stick to slot so we sign everyone
                  Plan 2 could be #1 3B (Moran),#1S BPA who fell and do what Houston did last year which was take the BPA that they knew would sign for a certain amount and sign as many as we can

Comment

On MLB.com they got Stan Meek saying this

"We're looking at a lot of different ways to do it," Marlins vice president of scouting Stan Meek said. "We're doing what we can to utilize the money the best way we can.

"What Houston did [in 2012] worked for them. They worked it to the way they thought it worked to their advantage. We'll try to do the same. We'll try to use our money to the greatest extent. It's different based on how you see players. We're trying to see all avenues and that's created even more work for us."

In other words looks like that might go the Colin Moran then BPA plan. One reason they might look at that plan is because there's a good amount of left-handed pitching and a large amount of high school catchers. Both things we love.

Comment

Fml, I haven't seen Moran at all. How did he look when you saw him?

I guess I'd be happy with him since a) he's a college boy and b) I'm gonna have to adopt some UNC loyalty soon
                      Originally posted by Madman81
                      Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                      Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

He looked good. He hit a three-run bomb against us on Friday night to dead center. But after that we kept him in check (he went 2-9 the entire series.) He's a big boy. Between every pitch he adjusts his batting gloves and takes off his helmet. Never fails. He's hitting .388/.639/.506. He has a 42/12 BB/K ratio
                        LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

I have never seen him but he is someone who can move thru a system quick,has a decent bat(more doubles type than power) and best of all can stay at 3B(Great Glove/Arm)

I like the pick because it would also allow us some flexibility which is a must in the draft now. U can draft Moran and try to sign him for less then 3.5 million then take that cash and spend it elsewhere. Meadows would prolly want all of the slot or maybe even more of it. Meadows and Moran tho seem like our Top 2 as of this moment

These are our draft slots

6 Marlins $3,516,500
                          35 Marlins $1,587,700
                          44 Marlins $1,261,400
                          73 Marlins $759,200
                          80 Marlins $681,700
                          112 Marlins $459,200
                          142 Marlins $343,900
                          172 Marlins $257,400
                          202 Marlins $192,900
                          232 Marlins $158,000
                          262 Marlins $147,500
                          292 Marlins $137,700
                          Last edited by tjfla; 05-08-2013, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Jim Callis from BA put out his first mock

6. MARLINS: Other teams believe Florida will make a discount choice, with candidates ranging from Shipley and McGuire to New Mexico corner infielder D.J. Peterson and New Jersey high school lefthander Rob Kaminsky. If money is less important, Frazier could be a target.

PROJECTED PICK: REESE McGUIRE.

Reese McGuire-Left Handed Hitting Catcher from Washington(HS)
                            D.J.Peterson-1B/3B who some see as the best advanced bat(College)
                            Braden Shipley-SP from Nevada(College)
                            Rob Kaminsky-LHP from Jersey(HS)

Someone needs to remind Loria what happened the last time we had the #6 pick and took a Left Handed Hitting Catcher from the West Coast!!

If we take any of those guys at #6 we would be crazy,in fact Kaminsky can be had at #35 and we can get a Catcher in Rd 2. I had been hearing they wanted a discount choice but the choice is Colin Moran,Callis has us going even cheaper than that

Comment

Originally posted by tjfla View Post

Someone needs to remind Loria what happened the last time we had the #6 pick and took a Left Handed Hitting Catcher from the West Coast!!
                              Skipworth Skipworth'd so that means we should never take a left-handed hitting catcher from the West Coast again because they're all gonna Skipworth!

Comment

Originally posted by Erick View Post
                                Skipworth Skipworth'd so that means we should never take a left-handed hitting catcher from the West Coast again because they're all gonna Skipworth!
                                No not at #6. Now at #35 I would say jump all over him and give him 1.5 million. Also this draft might be one of the deepest for catchers in a while. If McGuire was the best player I would say get him however the only reason teams in the Top 10 are looking at him is to save cash. Same with Shipley,he is probably the 5/6 best College arm and there is talk he goes in the Top 7. We did that with Sinkbeil-was a good arm however signed cheap so we drafted him in middle of Rd 1 instead of Rd 2 where he should have went
                                Last edited by tjfla; 05-09-2013, 05:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X