Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2013 Draft General Discussion

Per Twitter

@jonathanmayob3: After the ‪#mlbdraft‬ signing deadline on Friday, competitive balance lottery is on Wed., July 18 at 1:30 pm ET @MLBDraft

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...nt_id=26059392

I have no clue how this stuff works but I know we are in the lottery,so we could have a very busy 2013 Draft(However we can trade our pick,so watch out)
    Last edited by tjfla; 07-12-2012, 04:49 PM.

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
    Per Twitter

@jonathanmayob3: After the ‪#mlbdraft‬ signing deadline on Friday, competitive balance lottery is on Wed., July 18 at 1:30 pm ET @MLBDraft

I have no clue how this stuff works but I know we are in the lottery,so we could have a very busy 2013 Draft(However we can trade our pick,so watch out)
    Wait, what???
    LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

What is this shit?

Comment

The first lottery will take place in July, after the 2012 Draft signing deadline has passed. The 10 smallest-market teams and the 10 lowest-revenue teams will be placed in the lottery to have a chance to win one of six extra picks in 2013. This doesn't mean there will be 20 teams in the lottery. There will be plenty of crossover, with the expectation of having 13 teams involved.

The teams that will be eligible for the first lottery are the D-backs, Orioles, Indians, Royals, A's, Pirates, Padres, Rays, Reds, Rockies, Marlins, Brewers and Cardinals.

The odds of winning a Draft pick in this lottery will be based on each team's winning percentage in the previous season. The half-dozen picks will be made at the conclusion of the first round, but after the compensation picks for free agents.

There will be a second group of six picks, coming after the conclusion of the second round. The teams from the first group that did not get one of the early picks will be re-entered, along with any other Major League team that receives any revenue sharing.

There's another wrinkle to this. These lottery picks can be traded. That's right, for the first time in Major League history, Draft picks can be dealt. But there are a series of conditions and limitations regarding such transactions.

Only a team that wins a pick in the lottery can trade it, meaning that selection can be traded just once. It can't be sold for cash, and it may only be dealt during the season. Trading can commence the day after the lottery is held and is allowed until the end of that regular season. So seeing a lottery pick or two involved in some July 31 Trade Deadline deals is a distinct possibility. They cannot be included in any Winter Meetings deals, however, with trading of picks again permitted at the beginning of the following regular season.
        Originally posted by Madman81
        Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
        Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

What a convoluted pile of crap.

Comment

I still don't fully get it.
            LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

Originally posted by Miamarlin21 View Post
              I still don't fully get it.
              Join the club,however I do know that WE are in the lottery

From what I have gathered there will be a lottery(like NBA) with 6 teams getting a pick after Round 1.Then after Round 2 the 6 or 7 teams that DID NOT get a pick or are getting revenue sharing get a Supplement Round 2 pick.

This will be held July 18

Then from July 19 till the regular season ends that Supplemental pick can be traded.

Comment

Yeah, all that info is in the article Polakoff posted.

Comment

There's some scuttlebutt on Twitter about MLB starting a draft lottery

Comment

Competitve Balance Lottery Results

Round A (approx. picks 32-37)

1. Royals

2. Pirates

3. Diamondbacks

4. Orioles

5. Reds

6. Marlins

Round B (approx. picks 70-75)

1. Padres

2. Indians

3. Rockies

4. A’s

5. Brewers

6. Tigers

Comment

We got the #6 Pick

5 Clev
                      6 Mia
                      7 Bos

Comment

Is it going to be a very talented draft this year?

Comment

if I'm correct we traded our lottery pick for Pittsburgh's, right? And we got Detroit's? So we should have picks 6, 33, 43 and 75, or something like that?
                          Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.

Comment

End result is correct, how we got there is not.

They got the Pirates pick, #2 after the 1st round, and we sent our pick #6 after the 1st round to Detroit, not Pittsburgh, for their #6 after the 2nd round.

Comment

oh okay

well hopefully they'll give someone besides Beinberg a chance so we don't fuck this opportunity up too

Comment

Working...
                              X