Spencer: Marlins' Massive Makeover a Bust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Omar View Post
    His initial complaint about using Mesa as a comp is that he and Bell didn't have the same pedigree at the career point that he was looking at. Sharing a position is not really enough to call two players comparable. Said differently, is Jamie Moyer's career a comparable for Andrew Miller simply because they both are lefty starters?
    this

we know the volatility of relievers, picking one at random who had a few bad years and a few good ones doesn't really "add" anything. I could just as easily pick a reliever who never had a bad year and say "but John Wetteland never had a blowup season, so why should Heath?"
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Nope.

Comment

Bell sucks. It sucks that he sucks. But theres little we as fans can do about it. Loria had wanted Bell for a while.

MLB franchises as a whole are too enamored with the concept of a "closer" which is why a role that throws about 60 innings on average(I would guess its in that range) get so ridiculously overpaid.
        Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
        Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
        Noah Perio
        Jupiter
        39 AB
        15 H
        0 2B
        0 3B
        0 HR
        0 BB
        .385/.385/.385

Comment

Originally posted by Mainge View Post
          Nope.
          Yup.
          Originally posted by Madman81
          Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
          Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

I think that was the smartest post I have ever seen from Todd.

And you really want an elite example Mariano posted his worse ERA as a close in 2007 at age 37 and then came back with the second best of his career the following year. Nen also had a rough year and turnaround season but he was younger.

The point is you can pick almost any closer and isolate a group of years as an example of this why should Bell be any different. Yes it sucks he is this bad but he could turn it around by the end of the contract. There is no doubt the Marlins are eating this contract now so why not hope for the best.

Also thank you Mainge for making those points. I couldn't have said it better.

Comment

The only decent comparison is Brad Lidge. One year he's lights out and the next he shits the bed constantly.
              LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

So if they can't turn it around do we trade Anibal or just wait for the picks? A name I've read is Omar Infante. I haven't thought about him being traded at all but I guess it's a possibility and have Boni play second?

Comment

I think the fact that they traded for Lee indicates they do not intend to sell anyone important. It's the smart business move.

Any trade we make needs to improve the team now that involves any major player. If you are suggesting we are sellers:

I don't think they can trade Anibal without offering him an extension midseason and him telling the club to piss off. You have to anticipate the number will be leaked so it can't be an that much of a low ball.

Infante is an interesting name to throw out there. I think you can get away with trading him on near ready talent if you think they can step in and the end result will be as good as boni in cf and infante at 2b. After Infante's insane April numbers, he posted better then career numbers in May, good awful numbers in June, and hasn't improved that much in July. I don't think trading Infante would end up improving the team at the end of the day. I mean maybe there is a team out there with a hole for Infante and a blocked player who would fit with the marlins with some other players involved but Infante doesn't seem like an easy trade to improve the team. His numbers are really variable month to month and he was trending downward. He needs to get hot with the right situation out there to improve the team.
                  --------------------
                  I really don't think a trade will work out. Maybe a change of scenery move for both sides involved would work. And the front office would be wise not to be sellers because they can just throw the team under the bus and say these guys didnt perform anywhere near their talent level. They also can spin we were buyers because we went out and got Carlos Lee.

I was intrigued at our options so I'm glancing at the minors.

Luke Montz (AAA - C) is having a good season at the plate. Our catchers can't seem to hit there way out of a paper bag so why not give him a chance. Not to mention Buck has sucked less against righties and Montz has just mashed lefties this year.

Smolinski is a freaking walk machine down in AA.

Donnie Murphy, Nick Green and Mike Cervenak have been doing a thing in there limited time in New Orleans.

Gaby can still hit AAA pitching thus far.

Coghlan has been hitting since going back down to AAA and been doing this thing where he walks and does it more than he strikes outs. Maybe it's time for Cousins to go back down.

Petey had a rough June after going down but has kicked it back into gear in July.

Gil Velazquez has also been hitting this year in AAA; he lacks power and doesn't fill a hole.

Jax has no freaking bats. It makes me wonder how many runs Smolinski would score if anyone on the team could hit the ball. Also wondering why he has strictly played the outfield the past two years and if will actually be capable of handling right or center. I'm also a little surprised he is repeating AA; he didn't have a great year but it was acceptable especially with how much his walk rate improved last year. Some numbers: 2011 G 116 BB/K 59/57 2012 G 69 BB/K 44/48 Projected 2012: G 116 BB/K 74/80. K's are not looking so good this year but he is also hitting more so it needs a deeper analysis.
                  Last edited by Jay; 07-15-2012, 04:14 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

I would guess that Smolinski repeated Double-A because at the beginning of the year they wanted to get regular at-bats for Petersen, Cousins and Mattison in New Orleans. That's just my guess. I don't know why he hasn't played third this year, it's not like they have a third base prospect in Jacksonville.
                    As for Montz, he has tremendous power. I have seen him hit straight-up bombs when he was with Jacksonville. And another good thing about Montz is he can play left and first as well as being behind the plate.

Comment

Didn't we just sign Infante to a two year deal?
                      God would be expecting a first pitch breaking ball in the dirt because humans love to disappoint him.
                      - Daft

Comment

It's sad the season is already over in mid July.

Comment

Last year it was over in June, so.....improvement?
                          God would be expecting a first pitch breaking ball in the dirt because humans love to disappoint him.
                          - Daft

Comment

Yeah, that's why I never thought about trading him until I saw his name come up a couple of times in the last few days. Detroit apparently is interested (they are also interested in Marco Scutaro as well.)

Comment

Yes, 2012 and 2013 for $4 million a season. A bargain.
                              --------------------
                              I also have no problem trading Infante if a decent piece can be received, and moving Bonifacio to 2B.
                              Last edited by lou; 07-16-2012, 12:58 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Working...
                              X