X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stanton Gonna Show Off His Huge Stick at the Homerun Derby

I am excited for the Derby for once

MIAMI—
    Whether Giancarlo Stanton is named to the National League All-Star team remains to be seen, but his storied power will be on display in Kansas City.

Wednesday, Stanton confirmed he will be participating in the Home Run Derby. The teams National and American League Derby squads have not yet been announced. Matt Kemp and Robinson Cano were named captains, respectively, and put in charge of assembling the participants.

Marlins third base coach Joe Espada, who regularly throws batting practice to Stanton, likes the slugger’s chances.

“He gets to pull the ball,” Espada said. “Here in BP he’s trying to prepare for a game, but in Home Run Derby he doesn’t have to worry about hitting the ball to right-center field like he likes to do. Now I can throw the ball more toward the middle of the plate and he can just get the head out and use the whole field.

“This guy has got the best chance to win this Home Run Derby. He could miss-hit a ball and go over the fence. In my opinion, he’s the strongest in raw power.”

Many Derby participants bring their own pitchers. Stanton has yet asked Espada, who would not turn down the invitation.

“It’s up to him if he feels like I could give him a better chance to win the competition, he’ll walk up to me and ask me,” Espada said. “If not, I still like his chances because whoever throws it over the plate, he just needs to square it up and it will go over the fence. I would love to do it.”

Stanton is set to become the fifth Marlin in club history to take part in the event. Gary Sheffield (1996), Miguel Cabrera (2006), Dan Uggla (2008) and Hanley Ramirez (2010) have done it. Ramirez had the best showing of the bunch, finishing second to David Ortiz at the game in Anaheim.

In addition to Ramirez, Stanton also has another Home Run Derby resource readily available. Special Assistant Andre Dawson won what was then a four-player event at the Coliseum in Oakland.

Stanton began the day tied for third among NL hitters with 17 homers, three behind co-leaders Ryan Braun and Carlos Beltran. According to ESPN’s Home Run Tracker, Stanton can boast three of the 21 longest home runs hit the majors this season.

The one he hit Tuesday night off the batters’ eye to straightaway center had a true distance of 456, tied for the 21st longest this season. Stanton on May 21 and May 24 hit homers of 462 and 458, respectively.
    LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Good. It will be the only thing to root for by the break

Comment

I wonder if it ruins it (his swing).

Comment

I doubt it.

Comment

I want some waterfall splashes!
          LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

I tried to click there to sign up for sports text alerts, but nothing happened.

Comment

you need more tokens
              Originally posted by Madman81
              Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
              Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Working...
              X