Ozzie: "We've Got Talent. We're Good. We're Not Playing Good."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fluff Piece: Ozzie: "We've Got Talent. We're Good. We're Not Playing Good."

BOSTON -- Hot as blue blazes in Boston, where the "feels like" temperature was 95 hot ones a moment ago. Perhaps it's time they put a roof on Fenway?

Ozzie Guillen used most of his pre-game chat with media talking about how he still believed in his players even though the team is in a June nosedive. Guillen said there's a natural "tendency to change lineups" when things aren't going well but that, from experience, it doesn't work.

"I'm going to stick with the guys," Guillen said. "I'm going to believe in them. I'm going to make the same lineup if I can to make sure they know I'm behind them. We're know we're not performing. It's not a secret for anybody on this ballclub. I think everybody that wears this uniform knows we're not performing."

But even Guillen said he's mystified how things have turned south so quickly.

"It surprises me how good you can be one month and then so bad," he said. "I think everybody here has talent. Everybody here has done it before. And I think everybody will come out of this. We've got talent. We're good. We're not playing good."

Most of the finger-pointing during the slide has been on the offense, or lack thereof. The Marlins, this month, have scored the fewest runs of any team in the majors. But the pitching hasn't exactly been stout as evidenced by a hefty staff ERA of 5.49 this month.

"April and May we were really good," said pitching coach Randy St. Claire. "It hasn't been good since. About the last week of May was when it started getting some hiccups in there."

The 5.49 ERA ranks 14th of the 16 N.L. teams, but is a full run higher than the team just ahead of them, the Phillies. Only the Rockies (5.49) and Astros (6.86) rank lower. Last month, the Marlins ranked fifth in the N.L. with a 3.57 ERA.

"When you look at most of the pitches we're getting hurt on are pitches up in the zone," St. Claire said. "Right now we're making too many mistakes. I've talked to them about it. Whether they feel like they have to throw zeroes up (due to the lack of offense), I don't know. But you can't feel that way."
    Fish Bytes
    God would be expecting a first pitch breaking ball in the dirt because humans love to disappoint him.
    - Daft

This shit could have been avoided if we had Yu Darvish.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM Hugg!

Comment

I feel like taking a team that, by most conventional measure, was "bad" in 2011 and then spending $100 million on a SS who was a redundant player and $27 million on a closer who was a "luxury" addition doesn't automatically mean you're "good."

Comment

I don't feel like calling him a redundant player really works

Comment

Something about overall production being less important than "roles"?
          poop

Comment

Fire everyone but Ozzie.
            This post was brought to you by: Dat SEC Speed

Comment

Originally posted by Swifty View Post
              I feel like taking a team that, by most conventional measure, was "bad" in 2011 and then spending $100 million on a SS who was a redundant player and $27 million on a closer who was a "luxury" addition doesn't automatically mean you're "good."
              What about the Mark Buehrle signing? Or JJ and Hanley coming back? The improvement of Stanton or Morrison?

Comment

Originally posted by Beef View Post
                I don't feel like calling him a redundant player really works
                We had/have a SS. We had/have a middle of the road OBP leadoff hitter (due to so-so walk rate) with elite speed.

Make no mistake, I don't love Bonifacio, but Reyes isn't worth his contract to a team that had the in-house talent the Marlins do, and certainly isn't worth it when taken in context of the limited talent we have as well.
                --------------------
                Originally posted by Ashraf View Post
                What about the Mark Buehrle signing? Or JJ and Hanley coming back? The improvement of Stanton or Morrison?
                Buehrle was a good signing, but signing a 2/3 type doesn't take you from 70 wins to playoffs. Can't count on youngin's making "the leap" and you can never, ever, count on a pitcher with JJ's injury history.
                Last edited by Swifty; 06-20-2012, 09:53 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM Hugg!

Comment

We had no choice but to rely on JJ. We signed Buehrle and traded Volstad for Zambrano to improve our rotation.

We signed Reyes to put him in a lineup with Ramirez, Stanton and Morrison. There should have been a better effort at bringing in another bat, I guess. But the other players weren't expected to be this bad. This lineup shouldn't be this bad.

Comment

But we had choice(s). We chose not to sign Darvish or trade for Gio (just for fun, hindsight being what it is, wouldnt it have been better to pass on Buehrle and put those resources into Gio, with the Nats out of it w/ Buehrle).

I understand the "JJ takes us as far as we are going to go" mindset. I don't understand "we have no choice but to rely on a pitcher as fragile as JJ" mindset.

Comment

25 point difference in career OPS against Jose and Emilio and we shouldn't have signed Reyes because we were starting a player who should be on the bench?

We needed and IFer. Reyes was the best IFer and we got him for a contract that's really good for an all star free agent below 30.

Comment

We tried to sign CJ Wilson. We tried to sign Pujols. It is not like the team just said "Eh, fuck it. We got a rich man's Emilio Bonifacio!"

In fact, the only person who has ever in their lives said "We got a rich man's Emilio Bonifacio" is Swift.
                          poop

Comment

Originally posted by Swifty View Post
                            We had/have a SS. We had/have a middle of the road OBP leadoff hitter (due to so-so walk rate) with elite speed.

Make no mistake, I don't love Bonifacio, but Reyes isn't worth his contract to a team that had the in-house talent the Marlins do, and certainly isn't worth it when taken in context of the limited talent we have as well.
                            But we didn't have a third baseman. This signing resulted in us getting a third baseman, who while admittedly is struggling mightily, is still 5th in OPS for ML 3rd basemen. We also significantly improved the most important defensive position in the infield (sans catcher.)

If Beinfest came out before ST and said we had a chance to sign Reyes but didn't because we had Bonifacio already, you'd drive straight to Miami and start taking hostages.
                            Last edited by Mainge; 06-20-2012, 10:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ashraf View Post
                              Originally posted by nny View Post
                              25 point difference in career OPS against Jose and Emilio and we shouldn't have signed Reyes because we were starting a player who should be on the bench?

We needed and IFer. Reyes was the best IFer and we got him for a contract that's really good for an all star free agent below 30.
                              We didn't need an infielder, per se, we needed a bat to replace Uggla. Bonifacio was coming off his "turn the corner" season. He was going to play. He could play all over the place. He could have been your 2B, SS, 3B thus solving the IF problem (though him at 3B is a problem I am glad we didn't revisit). There were/are power bats available in FA or via trade that would have suited our needs much better. We tried for some (Pujols chief among them) but we made Reyes, inexplicably, our priority. I understand why Uggla had to go, I would have done the exact same thing when he asked for $71 million, but we're not looking for an If, it's Uggla's replacement in the lineup, which has yet to come.

Comment

Working...
                              X