Justin Ruggiano, OF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Justin Ruggiano, OF

Justin Ruggiano, who homered last night as an eighth-inning pinch-hitter, is starting today in left. Guillen indicated that Ruggiano might start more often, even against right-handed pitching.

"I like that kid Ruggiano," Guillen said. "He might get more playing time. I like his approach at the plate. We might see him a little more in left field, or right field to give Stanton a day off."
    Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/fish_...#storylink=cpy

Justin Ruggiano is aiming for a Sunday return to the lineup but said it all depends on how his back and oblique respond between now and then.

Ruggiano started Wednesday but left the game after two at-bats because of soreness in his side and back. Because the Marlins were mired in a long scoreless innings slump at the time, hitting coach Eduardo Perez tried to change the team’s luck by locking the doors to the indoor batting cage before that game.

Ruggiano said that might have contributed to his injury acting up during the game.

“I think what basically happened was I hadn’t taken a swing the day that I did it, probably due to the fact the cage was closed,” Ruggiano said.
    http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/08/1...#storylink=cpy

Good to know our hitting coach relies on luck and injuring one of the only producing hitters
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Is that what he relies on?

Comment

yes
        Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.

Comment

MIAMI -- A few minor adjustments helped Justin Ruggiano have a career night Tuesday.

Ruggiano went 4-for-4 with a home run, three singles and two RBIs in the series opener against the Nats to help wash out the bad taste of a difficult two-plus weeks for the Marlins outfielder. Ruggiano had been mired in a 9-for-48 (.188) slide dating back to Aug. 10.

"My numbers these last two weeks were terrible," Ruggiano said. "So I got with [hitting coach Eduardo Perez] and we sat down and talked about a few things."

Ruggiano felt his swing during that time was different than normal due to a couple of minor injuries to his back and rib cage. After meeting with Perez and working on some things in the batting cages, like freeing up his hands more and controlling his body, Ruggiano believes he's back to where he has the feeling of an easier swing.

The 30-year-old Ruggiano has been a pleasant surprise for the Marlins since they acquired him from the Astros in a Minor League trade in late May. In 70 games entering Wednesday, he has hit .327 with a .606 slugging percentage, 13 homers, 17 doubles, 31 RBIs and 11 stolen bases.

"This kid came out of nowhere and we gave him a chance and he grabbed it and kept it," Marlins manager Ozzie Guillen said.

The Marlins skipper added that Ruggiano's performance has earned the journeyman outfielder, who is out of Minor League options, a spot on next year's roster. Whether that spot is a starting job or a platoon role remains to be seen.

"You can doubt this kid as much as you want, but what he's been doing day in and day out [has been great]," Guillen said. "Can he last longer in the season? We'll see. Can he get 500 at-bats without getting hurt? That's tough to say. But what he's been doing, I don't see why we would deny [Ruggiano a roster spot]. We'll still have meetings to talk about it."
          http://miami.marlins.mlb.com/news/ar...k_mia&c_id=mia

Comment

pretty fucking cool

Comment

He's my fave.

But I feel like that doesn't say he's guaranteed a roster spot.

Comment

The Marlins skipper added that Ruggiano's performance has earned the journeyman outfielder, who is out of Minor League options, a spot on next year's roster.
                it quite literally says it

Comment

The last sentence says it hasn't been officially decided on seeing as he says they will have a meeting about it.

Comment

to me, given that Ozzie precedes that with durability questions and that the article says

Whether that spot is a starting job or a platoon role remains to be seen
                    those meetings aren't to discuss if he has a roster spot but whether or not he'll be starting

Comment

But what he's been doing, I don't see why we would deny [Ruggiano a roster spot]. We'll still have meetings to talk about it."
                      I know the bracketed part is injected by the writer but Ozzie's wording makes it sound like they still will discuss if they are bring him back. Obviously sounds like the odds are high he will be back but still, that doesn't sound like a guarantee just yet.

Comment

Frisaro seems to be inferring things that Guillen doesn't really say in the quote
                        --------------------
                        Oh, it wasn't Frisaro

it was Tom Green, whoever that is
                        Last edited by HUGG; 08-30-2012, 09:26 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

He's a Marlins writer for MLB.com, I believe.

Comment

He's proven himself to be someone who can mash left-handed pitching at the very least.

Also a + defender.

Also Beef's favorite.

If the Marlins keep Morrison in LF and let go of Ruggiano, Beef is going to hate it.

Comment

Originally posted by Erick View Post
                              He's proven himself to be someone who can mash left-handed pitching at the very least.

Also a + defender.

Also Beef's favorite.

If the Marlins keep Morrison in LF and let go of Ruggiano, Beef is going to hate it.
                              As he should. Because that's stupid.

Comment

Working...
                              X