Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guillen: Stanton Needs Protection in the Line-up

Guillen: Stanton needs better protection in lineup

PHILADELPHIA -- Ozzie Guillen is not a disciple of statistics because, as he says, "the only good stat is when you win. When you look at stats, there are more negatives than positives."

But after the Marlins went 1 for 13 with runners in scoring position in last night's 6-4 loss to the Phillies, including zero for four with the bases loaded, Guillen instructed bench coach Joey Cora to look at the numbers. What Cora found surprised even Guillen.

Certain Marlins aren't just bad with runners in scoring position. They're terrible.

Omar Infante is hitting .216 with runners in scoring position. Hanely Ramirez is hitting .206 in those situations. Logan Morrison is at .146. On Friday, the Marlins had runners in scoring position in each of Morrison's first three trips to the plate, and each time he failed to produce. It was only when he led off the eighth -- with no one aboard -- did he come through with a home run.

When Guillen was asked if he had given any thought to moving Morrison in the No. 2 spot, where he batted .320 as a rookie in 2010, the manager said he didn't think he would perform any better there than he has been in the No. 5 position. On the other hand, Guillen said it's imperative that Morrison break out of his slump.

"We've got to get somebody to start swinging the bat better behind Stanton," Guillen said. "We have to figure out who. But you look around....nobody's swinging the bat well. Nobody."

Guillen ruled out putting Infante in the No. 5 hole.

"I'm not going to put Infante there, nope," Guillen said. "Infante's swinging the bat good, and we've been winning with the lineup. But my third hitter (Ramirez) is struggling with runners in scoring position, and my five hitter is struggling with men in scoring position. The main thing for us is LoMo's got to get hot because I need somebody to protect Stanton."

One possibility: flip-flopping Ramirez and Stanton in the order.

After Stanton delivered a RBI double in the first inning, Phillies starter Kyle Kendrick didn't give him anything to hit his second time up, with runners at the corners in the third inning. Stanton walked on four pitches, and Morrison promptly hit into an inning-ending double play.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/fish_...#storylink=cpy

Bring Miggy back

Comment

Hammer

Comment

Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
        Hammer
        $14 million over the next two years. We would be dumb not to make an attempt. Whether they are ready to firesale is another question. (They should be, but they need to fill that ballpark somehow.)

Comment

Originally posted by FishFF View Post
          Bring Miggy back
          Not to open up a can of worms here, but if the Tigers are still struggling by the deadline, is there a chance they consider moving him? They have another third baseman in Nick Castellanos in the minors and everyone seems to think he is going to be a star.

I can't even imagine what the cost would be to get Cabrera, though.

/canofwormsopened

Comment

No.
            poop

Comment

Originally posted by Valid View Post
              Not to open up a can of worms here, but if the Tigers are still struggling by the deadline, is there a chance they consider moving him? They have another third baseman in Nick Castellanos in the minors and everyone seems to think he is going to be a star.

I can't even imagine what the cost would be to get Cabrera, though.

/canofwormsopened
              In hindsight he was basically given to the Tigers. Lets not discuss Cabrera, because I am still angry about how bad that trade was.
              Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
              Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
              Noah Perio
              Jupiter
              39 AB
              15 H
              0 2B
              0 3B
              0 HR
              0 BB
              .385/.385/.385

Comment

That's a dumb way to look at it.
                poop

Comment

Ok, lets not discuss it because its not likely as the process to get Cabrera to give Stanton protection would probably result in the Tigers demanding Stanton in return making the entire thing an exercise in futility.
                  Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
                  Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
                  Noah Perio
                  Jupiter
                  39 AB
                  15 H
                  0 2B
                  0 3B
                  0 HR
                  0 BB
                  .385/.385/.385

Comment

0% chance?

Comment

I'd say there's about a 1.7% chance we could acquire Cabrera.

Comment

LoMo hasn't played LF in 2 weeks. I wonder if we might be looking to trade Gaby and keeping LoMo at 1B. It would be interesting to see if we add a true veteran LF'er to the team, a guy that can produce in the 5/6 spot.

Comment

Gaby is pretty worthless out there

Comment

I personally think it's time to promote Gaby already. What are they waiting for?

Comment

Probably for somebody else to be so god awful they would make people ever want to see Gabbby swing a bat again

Comment

Working...
                              X