Reds and Votto Come to Terms on $225 Million Extension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reds and Votto Come to Terms on $225 Million Extension

Joey Votto is under contract for $9.5 million this season and $17 million next season as part of an extension signed last winter, but Tim Dierkes of MLB Trade Rumors reports that the Reds are close to signing the former MVP to a significantly longer extension.

According to Dierkes the new extension “could surpass $200 million” in total value, although the length and salary details aren’t known yet.

This offseason Prince Fielder, who’s 27 years old, signed a nine-year, $214 million contract with the Tigers and Albert Pujols, who’s 32 years old, inked a 10-year, $240 million deal with the Angels. Votto is 28 years old and has been every bit as productive as Fielder and Pujols during the past three seasons, hitting .318 with a .983 OPS during that time while leading the league in OPS in 2010 and on-base percentage in both 2010 and 2011.

This could mean the end of Brandon Phillips‘ time in Cincinnati, as it’s hard to see the Reds having the money to keep the impending free agent second baseman around beyond this season if they’re throwing $200 million at Votto.
    Report: Reds close to $200 million deal with Joey Votto

Dodgers fans are sad

Comment

The national pastime is awash with the other national pastime.

Comment

I need to teach my future son to be a baseball player.
        This post was brought to you by: Dat SEC Speed

Comment

I really question how wise it is to start giving 1Bs this kind of coin. Conventional logic used to be develop your corners (because those are "easy") and your pitching (so you can afford it) and splurge up the middle where needed.

I get Pujols, I get Teixeira, I kind of get Prince because that's just super elite production with the DH safety net going to a big payroll club. For the Reds...I'm pretty shocked.
          Last edited by Swifty; 04-03-2012, 12:45 PM.

Comment

I'd say Votto has given more elite production than Prince. Certainly been more consistent. I get your overall point though.

Comment

I just dont' see the point in giving a guy a 10-year contract two years away from Free Agency.
              poop

Comment

I'd imagine the 18 million or whatever he's owed next year got reduced/deferred.

Comment

I haven't read anything that suggests that, but I'm not sure what difference it would make.
                  poop

Comment

Locked up through 2023. This will cripple the franchise in its later years.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
                      I haven't read anything that suggests that, but I'm not sure what difference it would make.
                      Well it incentivizes you to engage him in discussions now if you can pay him in 2011 dollars in 2020 for what he's owed in 2012.

Comment

Ken Rosenthal ‏ @Ken_Rosenthal

Source: Votto extension with #Reds includes full no-trade for all 10 years. Also gets full no-trade for remaining 2 years of current deal.

Comment

Working...
                        X