No announcement yet.

Ricky Nolasco, SP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marlins pitching coach Randy St. Claire will work with Ricky Nolasco this week to correct some flaws in Nolasco’s delivery.

“I think he’s getting a little out of whack,” St. Claire said. “Video shows some stuff.”

Nolasco lasted just 2 1/3 innings in the Marlins’ 6-5 loss Saturday. He gave up five runs on nine hits, including three home runs. He has pitched more than 5 1/3 innings once in his last five starts.

“His arm slot is a little lower and there are some other things that he’s doing that is a little different from the beginning of the year and end of last year,” St. Claire said.

Nolasco’s next start will be on regular rest Thursday. Nate Robertson, whose lone relief appearance this season was following Nolasco Saturday, will start Friday.

“Ricky falls on his normal day and it gives him the opportunity to face Texas instead of the Rays,” manager Fredi Gonzalez said. “Texas has never seen him.”

Nolasco has allowed 13 runs in 4 1/3 innings in his last two starts against the Rays.

At 5-5 and a 5.05 ERA Nolasco has been a big disappointment. He allowed 11 of the 18 batters he faced Saturday to reach base. Very few of the Rays nine hits were soft.

Yet, he gave this assessment of his performance.

“I felt like a lot of times I was making some good pitches and they kept finding the holes. It just seemed like nothing would fall my way. I felt like I could have been out there a lot longer if I got a break here and there.”

Nolasco has allowed 14 home runs in 76 2/3 innings – tied for third most in the league – after surrendering 23 in 185 innings last season.

“They’re just not missing them,” he said. “There is not much I can do about it. Some balls are right over the middle of the plate and good hitters are putting good swings on them.”

Not throwing the ball down the middle would be a start.

Gonzalez praised Robertson for saving his bullpen and keeping the Marlins in the game with his 5 2/3 innings Saturday, the second longest relief appearance in Marlins history.

“We were lucky we had him in pen,” Fredi said. “We didn’t have to exhaust the entire bullpen and also the blessing in disguise was it was an American League game so we didn’t have to pinch hit.”
    Marlins pitching coach Randy St. Claire finding flaws in Ricky Nolasco’s delivery

Comment

I agree with Swift

And I used to clash with Swift so hard with my opinions on Nolasco

Comment

Nolasco is so *what have you done for me lately* on this this board though. More so than most players.

As long as everyone wants to aggressively shop him 2 hours after he throws a great game then I'm ok with it.

Comment

Rosey said that when he started doing bad last year it was mostly mental stuff. Maybe that's happening again.
          LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

everyone as in Swift and McLevin?

Comment

No what I meant was if it gets to the point where everyone (most posters) want to shop him even after he throws a good game (which he will soon) then I will get on board with it as well.

I didn't word it too well.
              Last edited by Namaste; 06-13-2010, 07:24 PM.

Comment

I don't want to shop him
                LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

“They’re just not missing them,” he said. “There is not much I can do about it. Some balls are right over the middle of the plate and good hitters are putting good swings on them.”

Not throwing the ball down the middle would be a start.
                  That made me lol

Comment

Originally posted by Daft View Post
                    Nolasco is so *what have you done for me lately* on this this board though. More so than most players.

As long as everyone wants to aggressively shop him 2 hours after he throws a great game then I'm ok with it.
                    I'm not a big Nolasco guy, that isn't a secret, but he was looking like a legit NL 2/3 and I was fine with it and I even wanted to extend him if '10 looked promising.

Now it's a totally different situation. Uggla definitely deserves the extension, so money has to be freed up. Plus, there'll be a lot of "out of option" arms in '11, most of whom are guys I'd assume we don't want to lose for free, so starting the turnover now, maybe getting an elite bullpen arm and a pitching prospect out of it, seems like a win win.

Then again, we can always do what I thought we should have done with him and make him the Joba (the good one) for our 'pen.

Comment

I'd be down with Zambrano-ing him for a few weeks if West wants to force the issue in a couple of weeks.
                      poop

Comment

Please dangle him.

Also, I like bobbob's idea, but replace "few weeks" with the rest of the season.

Comment

There's something mechanically wrong. Has to be.
                          poop

Comment

joecapMARLINS: Nolasco has served up 15 HRs so far in his 14 starts. Next closest #Marlins starter has allowed 7 (Volstad & Robertson)
                            JCRMarlinsbeat: Vlad Guerrero HR 15th Ricky Nolasco has allowed, tying him for second most in NL. #marlins
                            /both via Twitter

I thought St. Claire was going to work with Ricky to fix his delivery that he got out of whack. I guess it hasn't worked yet.

Comment

Originally posted by mbaamin08 View Post
                              /both via Twitter

I thought St. Claire was going to work with Ricky to fix his delivery that he got out of whack. I guess it hasn't worked yet.
                              Just like he was going to fix Miller's delivery...

Comment

Just like he was going to fix Leo Nunez's pitch tipping...

Oh. He did that.
                                poop

Comment

Working...
                                X