New Stadium Dimensions Compared to Other Ballparks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My .02

I'd rather our new ballpark be a pitchers park than Citizens type (which is a joke).

I totally understand how some will be disappointed. I like when HR's are events and not just "ho-hum" there goes another one. Plus, we'll have some really cool triples and some inside the parkers.

Comment

Originally posted by Sub Zero View Post
      The best. I'd take those dimensions in a heartbeat (with some added distance down the lines, of course.

We'll be worse, since the humidity weighs the ball down.
      Eh, we'll have the roof closed on really humid days. Also SD can get really wet on some nights with the fog. I think it'll be similar to San Diego.

Roof closed, the Astro Dome is a good comp considering the dimensions are nearly the same.

Comment

I could have done without the weird triangle in center field but whatever.

Comment

Why is a park that increases home runs considered a joke, but not one that supresses them at a similar rate?
          poop

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
            Why is a park that increases home runs considered a joke, but not one that supresses them at a similar rate?

Because HR's should be hit far and not be routine fly outs?

Comment

And what about balls that are hit far and turned into routine outs?
              poop

Comment

Because for the better part of 60 years, stadiums were similar to their modern day home run suppressing counterparts.

There are very few ballpark between '50 and '89 that were constructed for ML teams that had band box distances.

Comment

bob2

I guess we can go round and round with this but I'm just giving my personal preference.

Everytime a ball clears the fence in (plug in any small ballpark) that was obviously not well hit, I cringe. Call me a traditionalist.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
                    And what about balls that are hit far and turned into routine outs?
                    That has been considered a norm.

A 315 foot shot in a new ballpark did not make a reappearance in baseball until the 1990s.

Comment

Aren't most of those the 'cookie cutters' we always criticize?

I'm just saying, I'd rather have a neutral than extreme either way, and I don't think there is a natural advantage to one over the other.
                      poop

Comment

The criticism of cookie cutters has nothing to do with dimensions.

Comment

Compare the new stadium to Turner. It's not that much bigger. I've seen at least 20 games at Turner Field and I've never said, "oh man that ball was a seed, I can't believe it didn't get out".

Comment

Turner Field is also 1,000 feet above sea level. The ball travels 8-10 feet further than a ball hit at a park of similar size at sea level. So it's played close to neutral.

Remember Atlanta-Fulton County was the Coors Field before there was a Coors Field despite having average dimensions.

Comment

Ah, yes I forgot about the sea level factor.

Not sure if you guys have been to Turner but they have a big monument in the parking lot (located where Fulton County stood) where Aaron's HR landed.

Comment

Originally posted by Festa View Post
                                Remember Atlanta-Fulton County was the Coors Field before there was a Coors Field despite having average dimensions.
                                Yep, "The Launching Pad."

Comment

Working...
                                X