X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any relation to Mike?
    This post was brought to you by: Dat SEC Speed

Comment

Florida Marlins: The advanced power arm of Cuban defector RHP Jose Fernandez will need less time to develop than most high schoolers, though LHP Adam Conley (2nd round, Washington State) will likely beat him to the majors. SS Connor Barron (3rd round, Mississippi HS) was a steal in that spot, as was LHP Charlie Lowell (6th round, Wichita State). Sleepers: RHP Scott Lyman (10th round, UC Davis), OF Jhiomar Veras (15th round, Western Oklahoma State).
      -John Sickels, http://mlb.sbnation.com/2011/6/9/221...alysis-results
      Originally posted by Madman81
      Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
      Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Not related to Mike. Very strong and commanding. He was a midwest guy so was under the radar compared to coastal boys. Just watch.....
        --------------------
        Originally posted by markotsay7 View Post
        I usually just google the name and school and see what comes up.
        --------------------
        or, better answer: this one
        --------------------
        6'4" 245
        --------------------

http://www.goshockers.com/ViewArticl...ATCLID=1592565
        he also played in Cape Cod League between 2009 and 2010. Falmouth Commodores.
        Last edited by Strike3; 06-13-2011, 09:18 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Chris O'Brien signs with Dodgers
          June 23, 2011|By GRANT MEECH | KWCH 12 Eyewitness Sports

WICHITA, Kan. — The Shocker's will be hunting for a new catcher next spring as Chris O'Brien signed with the Los Angeles Dodgers today, skipping his senior season.

The Johnny Bench Award finalist and third-team All American was picked by the club in the 18th round of this year's MLB Draft. O'Brien was hitting .410 for Wichita State, with 25 doubles and ten home runs.

O'Brien was one of seven Shockers to be draft following the season. Left handed pitcher Charlie Lowell signed with the Florida Marlins earlier and right handed pitcher Chance Sossaman signed with the Texas Rangers.
          http://articles.kwch.com/2011-06-23/signs_29697098

Looks like he might be signed already.

Comment

Cool

Comment

At Wichita State, injuries to reliable senior righthander Tim Kelley and talented sophomore Tobey Mateychick, along with the NCAA-imposed suspension of promising freshman lefthander Albert Minnis, ate into the Shockers pitching depth, but the slack was picked up by big, hard-throwing lefthanders Charlie Lowell and Brian Flynn, who themselves threw only 36 innings in 2010 due to injury and academic issues.

Lowell was so impressive this spring that he was named the Missouri Valley Conference pitcher of the year, and combined with the 6-foot-8, 245-pound Flynn to throw 180 innings. Lowell and Flynn both reached 94 mph, and with the improvement they showed in their sliders, could both factors into the top 2-3 rounds of the draft. Three more Shockers—shortstop Tyler Grimes (.298-5-32, 25 SB), catcher Chris O’Brien (.407-10-67)) and first baseman Johnny Coy (.275-7-57)—are realistic considerations elsewhere in the first 10 rounds.
              Ranked #2 prospect in State of Kansas by DAVID RAWNSLEY
              2. CHARLIE LOWELL, lhp, Wichita State University (Jr.)
              XL frame (6-4/245), workhorse; solid mechanics, consistent stuff, low 90s FB/T-95, sharp SL, 10-4, 2.68.
              http://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/...x?article=5732
              Last edited by LocoMarlinFan; 07-28-2011, 09:11 PM.

Comment

Signed for 200k

Comment

I'm a friend of Charlie's and have been following his career very carefully. He was the top prospect in the Summer College ball Jayhawk League after blowing scouts away at the NBC World Series after hitting 97 several times on a hot gun. Charlie was supposed to go late 1st / early 2nd but kept slipping because he wouldn't sign for slot $$$. He was the MVC pitcher of the year this year, 3rd team All-American and was top 10 in the country in KOs and KOs/ip, His fastball is consistently 92-93 with tons of late movement from 1st inning all the way to the 8th & 9th. Slider is very sharp at 80-81 and when command is on he is nearly unhittable. Many of his earned runs this year were given up by relievers (I would estimate half or so). He went on something like a 33 inning scoreless streak early in the year, had a little trouble in the middle of the year, which is when many of his inherited runs were given up, and then settled in to finish the year very strong.

Charlie is an absolute steal in the 6th round and especially for just the 200K signing bonus he signed for. I predict he will be fast-tracked to the big club. He will pitch a little in short season, then next season he will spend a couple of months in A, and finish the year in AA. By his 2nd full year he will probably finish in AAA and possibly be called up for a short stint in the Bigs.

Comment

I wish they would stop this can't announce till close to Aug 15,if the kid signed let's get him pitching

Comment

Minor League Prospect Note: Charlie Lowell, LHP, Miami Marlins
                      by John Sickels on Jul 19, 2012 12:00 PM EDT

0 COMMENTS EMAIL PRINT
                      **Keep an eye on Miami Marlins prospect Charlie Lowell.

The southpaw starter for Low-A Greensboro in the South Atlantic League racked up 14 strikeouts on Monday night against Kannapolis, allowing one hit and one run (a homer) in seven innings, walking nobody. On the season, he has a 3.96 ERA with a 97/45 K/BB ratio in 84 innings with 65 hits allowed. His K/IP and H/IP are excellent and reflect the quality of his 90-95 MPH fastball, slider, and change.

A sixth-round pick in 2011 from Wichita State, he has been held back by problems with fastball command, but some mechanical tweaks a couple of weeks ago have reportedly solved this issue, and he has a 20/3 K/BB in his last 13 innings. We'll see if it lasts, but there's upside here.
                      The big 6-4 ,235 pound lefty was a young junior at age 20 in the 2011 draft, and his college performance was quite good: 2.95 ERA with 63/33 K/BB in 64 innings as a freshman, 3.25 ERA with 36/17 K/BB in 36 injury-shortened 2010 innings, and a 2.79 ERA with a 124/40 K/BB in 103 innings as a junior in '11, allowing just 84 hits and only one homer all year. He gave up just four homers in his entire college career. I thought he was a bargain in the sixth round despite some control issues.
                      http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/...lins#storyjump

Comment

Grasshoppers' Lowell dominant again
                        Marlins prospect strikes out nine over seven hitless innings
                        By Andrew Pentis / Special to MLB.com07/21/2012 10:17 PM ET
                        CommentsTweetFacebookPrintEmail

Charlie Lowell has recorded 23 strikeouts in his last two starts. (Dano Keeney/MiLB.com)

The day after arguably his worst pro start -- six runs allowed over two innings on July 6 in Kannapolis -- Greensboro's Charlie Lowell walked into the coaches' office. There, he found batting coach Kevin Randel, who told him directly and succinctly, "When you pound the zone and have good tempo, you're going to have success."
                        "I was taking a lot of time in between pitches, stepping off the mound, getting the rosin, taking deep breaths and I was giving guys a chance to think about what just happened or what was going to happen next," Lowell said of his slow pace on the mound. "Now I am speeding them up; maybe I can get 'em when I'm ready and they're not."

In two starts following the advice that Lowell said he took to heart, he was nearly unhittable. In the third, on Saturday night at Asheville, he was completely unhittable.

The Marlins prospect struck out nine and pitched seven no-hit innings in the Grasshoppers' 3-1 victory over the Tourists at McCormick Field.

Lowell (5-4) struck out the side in the fourth and fifth frames and had retired 10 in a row when Tourists shortstop Trevor Story reached on a two-out error in the sixth. The 21-year-old left-hander also walked one batter, plunked another and was the beneficiary of one double play.

"The one ball they gave [shortstop] Austin [Nola] an error on, that was a tough play; it took a tough hop on him," Lowell said. "That was all, really. They didn't barrel anything up."

Pitch No. 107 was his last, and the Grasshoppers' combined no-hit bid ended soon after his exit. Lefty reliever Gregory Nappo, who contributed to the club's April 24 no-no at Hickory, yielded Taylor Featherston's leadoff double and Brian Humphries' ensuing RBI triple in the eighth. Right-hander Collin Cargill pitched around Samuel Mende's single in the ninth to earn his second save.

How much Lowell wanted to decide his own fate was outweighed by his sense of where he is in his career: 22 games in.

"You don't want to be a guy that throws a Low-A no-hitter and never pitches in the big leagues," he said, appreciating the developmental focus of the South Atlantic League.

The effort was Lowell's second consecutive sterling outing. On Monday, he flirted with a no-hitter and struck out a career-high 14 against Kannapolis. He preceded that gem with six innings of two-hit, two-run ball against Hagerstown.

"The last three starts," he said, "I've had all three pitches working really well. Whenever I've need a pitch, it's usually there."

Through 18 starts overall, Lowell -- Miami's sixth-round pick in the 2011 Draft out of Wichita State -- has fashioned a 3.66 ERA. Plus, his 106 strikeouts are tops among active Sally starters. Nationals prospect Alex Meyer fanned 107 but was promoted to the Carolina League this week. Perhaps most impressively, opponents are batting .199 against Lowell.

"I have been working a lot on early contact, but I'll take swings and misses," he said. "The last couple weeks, I've been better at putting guys away."

Tourists starter Vianney Mayo (3-4) was charged with all three runs on nine hits, including first baseman Matt Smith's solo shot in the fourth. Mayo also went seven innings.
                        http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp...vkey=news_milb

Comment

The Greensboro Grasshoppers took a big hit a few weeks ago when the Marlins promoted starters Jose Fernandez and Adam Conley to advanced Class-A Jupiter. Another stellar pitcher has emerged in their absence.

Left-hander Charlie Lowell, who the Marlins selected in the sixth round of the 2011 First-Year Player Draft out of Wichita State, tossed seven hitless innings on Saturday at Asheville. Lowell, 21, can now boast three consecutive starts in which he’s gone at least six innings without allowing more than two hits. He owns a 1.35 ERA with four walks and 29 strikeouts during that 20-inning stretch.

For the season, Lowell is 5-4 with a 3.66 ERA, 46 walks and 106 strikeouts in 91 innings (18 starts). His first-half was unspectacular (3-3, 4.35), but in six starts since the break he’s 2-1 with a 2.17 ERA.

Lowell told Baseball America he attributes the turnaround to improved tempo. The 6-4, 235-pound Lowell didn’t take issue with coming out of Saturday’s game having not allowed a hit, telling BA: “I don’t want to hurt my career because I wanted to throw a no-hitter in Low A. What does that mean? Nobody remembers that, but everybody wants to be remembered as the guy that threw a no-hitter in the big leagues.”

John Sickels of Minor League Ball did a short write-up on Lowell after he struck out 14 two outings ago.
                          http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports...ie-lowell.html
                          Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.

Comment

Congratulations to LHP Charlie Lowell on being named the Marlins Minor League Pitcher of the Month for July! Lowell went 2-1 with a 3.00 ERA in 5 games started in July. In 27 innings pitched, he held batters to a .172 batting average while striking out 32. Lowell was also named the South Atlantic League pitcher of the week for the week of July 23rd.
                            http://www.milb.com/index.jsp?sid=t477

Comment

A minor league pitcher for the Miami Marlins has been arrested on a charge of domestic battery in Riviera Beach.

According to the arrest report, a woman told the officer that Lowell tried to choke her after he found text messages on her phone from another man and became upset. She said Lowell called her a "ho" and "slut," then pushed her onto the bed and threw clothing on top of her.

Lowell threw the woman's belongings on the ground outside the home and slapped her in the face, she told police.

When the officer interviewed Lowell, he said the woman was cheating on him, so he threw her out and slapped her in the face, the report stated. Lowell denied ever hitting her but said he was very upset and wasn't thinking clearly.

Lowell was drafted by the Marlins in the sixth round of the 2011 draft out of Wichita State. He ended last season with the Jupiter Hammerheads.
                              http://www.wpbf.com/news/sports/Jupi...#ixzz2McBKuZ90

Comment

You stay classy, Riveria Beach.
                                Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM Hugg!

Comment

Working...
                                X