Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If Volstad gave us 6 ip and 3 ER every 5th day we would be ecstatic. Yeah, QS isn't a great stat, but it gets the point across in this instance.
    --------------------
    Originally posted by MiamiHomer View Post
    We have no runs.
    Yes, we get it. Unfortunately, beyond "we have no runs" there's not really anything to say about that.
    Last edited by Bobbob1313; 05-19-2011, 08:25 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
    poop

Comment

This is late, but I was on the phone so whatever.

Volstad was pitching very solid tonight. There was absolutely no sign of the game getting out of hand and I thought he was cruising by pretty effectively sans the one homerun (which was absolutely crush, I will concede that). If he had stayed in the game, it more than likely would have been a quality start. No reason for hating on Volstad tonight. He is in no way a concern of mine in this team being successful.
      Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM Hugg!

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
        Wow.
        --------------------
        Nick is being mibs right now. What the fuck.
        How so? Oh we took out the starter with the ERA around 6 to put in the reliever with the sub 2 ERA who had pitched sparingly over the past 2 weeks. What a fucking travesty, Edwin should be fired immediately.

Was it the right move on paper? No, but it's not a move that is going to hurt us significantly in the short term or the long term, and hey it probably gave us a better chance to win this game.

Comment

It was obviously the wrong move. You're defending it for no reason. You're using "Brian Sanches hasn't pitched much over the last two weeks" to defend it, which is totally unreasonable and stupid to bring up, because he could have just pitched the 7th or come in if Volstad struggled.

You dont pull a starter after 71 pitches to get Brian Sanches work. That's really stupid.
          poop

Comment

Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
            How so? Oh we took out the starter with the ERA around 6 to put in the reliever with the sub 2 ERA who had pitched sparingly over the past 2 weeks. What a fucking travesty, Edwin should be fired immediately.

Was it the right move on paper? No, but it's not a move that is going to hurt us significantly in the short term or the long term, and hey it probably gave us a better chance to win this game.
            I'll ask again, Are you watching the game? Volstad is not pitching like a pitcher with an ERA around 6. You don't take the ball out of his hands and pinch hit for him to start an inning with no one on base. If his spot had come up in the bottom of the previous inning when we would have had the bases loaded, that's one thing. But not to start an inning.

Comment

Yeah, I'm not sure how anyone would argue pulling Chris Volstad was the right decision, especially since we're going to need the bullpen Caturday when Javquez pitches.

Comment

No, you implied the bullpen has been over worked so that's why he brought up the lay off for Sanches. None of this crap matters, no damage was done by the Cubs, the Marlins can't score shit.
                --------------------
                JCRMarlinsbeat Juan C. Rodriguez
                Through 7, #Cubs 3, #Marlins 0. Fish are 1 for 8 with runners in scoring position tonight and 9 for their last 53 (.170).
                bleh
                Last edited by MiamiHomer; 05-19-2011, 08:32 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

This sucks. Score some runs.
                  There's No jOOj In Team.

Comment

Yeah this isn't even a question. Barring injury, it was the wrong move. Don't see how anyone could defend it.

Comment

• I've never said it was the right move. I'm saying if we're getting worked up about Volstad getting pulled too early, than we're really grasping for straws when it comes to reasons to bash Edwin.

/I'm done

Comment

• I don't think people are bashing Edwin. I think Edwin is very nonbashed compared to Fredi.

It's just a move that makes you "wait, what?", people aren't grasping at straws to bash Edwin and I can't recall any sane people who look for reasons to bash the guy.

Comment

• Originally posted by MiamiHomer View Post
                          No, you implied the bullpen has been over worked so that's why he brought up the lay off for Sanches. None of this crap matters, no damage was done by the Cubs, the Marlins can't score shit.
                          Over course of the season, our bullpen has been used quite a bit. That Brian Sanches has not over the last 9 games does not refute that.

And saying "no damage was done is irrelevant to whether it was a good decision.
                          --------------------
                          I'm not one to criticize managers a lot, but this was a decision that, barring injury, cannot be justified to me.
                          Last edited by Bobbob1313; 05-19-2011, 08:39 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
                          poop

Comment

• I'm not saying it was a good or bad decision. I'm just saying people are getting worked up about something that ended up not hurting the outcome of the game.

Comment

• When you pull a pitcher after 5 with 71 pitches for no reason, you're potentially effecting the outcome of several games.

Comment

• Originally posted by MiamiHomer View Post
                                I'm not saying it was a good or bad decision. I'm just saying people are getting worked up about something that ended up not hurting the outcome of the game.
                                Maybe not the outcome of this game but, like Bobbob said, it's causing us to lean on the bullpen. The more they get used, the faster they burn out. We've seen this over and over and over again the last few years. Take Webb for example. He's pitching two innings today. The less work we have to give the bullpen, the better in the long run of a 162 game season.

Comment

Working...
                                X