J.T. Realmuto, C

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carl Albert baseball standout drafted by Marlins

Carl Albert’s JT Realmuto ripped through Oklahoma pitching all season, breaking national and school hitting records.

According to scouts and coaches, his defensive prowess wasn’t below par with his hitting; it was just overshadowed by all the bashing he did on baseballs in the batter’s box.

On June 8, the inevitable came to fruition: Realmuto was drafted in the third round by the Florida Marlins with the 104th overall pick in the Major League Baseball draft. He was the first player from Oklahoma taken.

He has been meeting with Marlins representatives on a possible contract. He has already signed a letter of intent to play on the collegiate level at Oklahoma State, and is currently batting .600 with three homers and 24 RBIs for the Post 170 Midwest City Outlaws.

“It (to play pro baseball) has always been my dream, since I was a little kid,” Realmuto said. “Baseball, ever since I first played, has always been my favorite sport … definitely my first love.”

In addition to being an All-State baseball player, Realmuto was an All-State quarterback on Carl Albert’s state championship football team.

“I’d love to play college ball,” he added. “But, my dream is to play pro. If they (Florida) come up with the right number, I’m going to play pro.”

In the spring baseball season with the Titans, he finished a storied offensive season by batting .595 with 28 home runs, 119 RBIs, 26 doubles, 88 hits and 78 runs scored.

He shattered the high school national runs batted in mark of 104 set by Nick Trapp in 2004 out of Woodstock Marian High School (Ill.). His 88 hits tied the national record. He now holds it with Darren Deadmond of Odin, Ill.

Realmuto is tied for second for most home runs, deadlocking at 28 with James Peterson of Winterset, Iowa.

“I have to give all those RBIs to those guys around me,” Realmuto said. “Every time I’m up, there were guys on second and third … what a good hitting team we had.”

The Titans batted .441 as a squad, with seven in the lineup clearing the .400 plateau.

“My dad is the one who taught me how to hit,” he said. “Ever since I was old enough to hold the bat. He’s always taught me to do what is right. He always threw me batting practice.”
    http://www.eastword.net/article/06-1...y_Marlins.aspx

It appears he won't sign for slot money and as a draft eligible sophomore (2 yrs from now) he has leverage.

Comment

If he really wants to sign we will sign him. As a multi sports guy,we can offer him a bonus spread over 5 years. Unless he comes up with some crazy number,he should be signing close to Aug 16.

It goes like this-Say he wants $500,000 to sign

We can give him Yr 1-$200,000,Yr 2-$50,000,Yr 3-$50,000,Yr 4-$100,000,Yr 5-$100,000 or other forms of that

Comment

what is the chance we can sign him 30% you think?

Comment

J.T. Realmuto Position: C/SS School: Carl Albert HS State: OK Height: 6’1’’ Weight: 190
          Bats: R Throws: R Birth Date: 3/18/91 Seiler Rating: 4C1 Commitment: Oklahoma State

J.T. Realmuto is a hard-hitting high school catcher and shortstop from Carl Albert High School in Midwest City, Oklahoma, a suburb of Oklahoma City and the same school that produced former Major League second baseman and current baseball agent Jeff Frye. Like many dual-position players in high school baseball, Realmuto also happens to play multiple sports, with football being his notable secondary sport as a quarterback. With an incredible senior year with the bat, he’s put himself in a good position to be drafted in a signable range, and some scouts believe he has the tools to become a starting shortstop at the Major League level. At the plate, he has been feasting on high school pitching all spring, putting up record numbers with a hit tool that consistently gets solid-average to above-average grades. Some scouts are concerned with his setup at the plate, saying that is more conducive to metal bats, but the general consensus is that it’s a workable fix, and his potential might be enough to overcome concerns. His power also projects to be average, so he could turn out to be a very solid offensive middle infielder. He’s a solid-average to above-average runner, as well, so while the potential is far off from the current skill, there’s something to work with here. Defensively, he gets mixed reviews both behind the plate and at shortstop, and most scouts believe he’s too raw to project him as a starter behind the plate. Most see average defense at shortstop with an above-average arm, giving him good grades for makeup, as well. Though there’s a lot of potential here, the concerns with his bat and defensive home make him more of an early-teens pick, and that means he’s likely to end up at Oklahoma State.
          http://www.mlbbonusbaby.com/2010/7/1...muto#storyjump

Comment

Well he wasn't an early teens pick so. That was written before he was drafted.
            "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
            - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

Injured thumb on non-throwing hand.

Realmuto, one of the greatest athletes ever to come out of Midwest City Carl Albert, was limited in what he could do the past few weeks after injuring the thumb on his non-throwing hand. One of the state’s top shortstops in his career – and the first Oklahoma prep player taken in this year’s pro baseball draft – he was the designated hitter for the Outlaws until the last two games, when he played first base.

“I think J.T. learned a lot of baseball when he had to watch from the dugout,” said Weese, who has been taking Outlaw teams to state Legion titles since 1987. “And I think when our team had to play without him and found they could still win, it was a turning point for us.”
              http://coachesaid.com/Article/2010/7...r-Legion-crown
              --------------------
              He was also given the Jim Thorpe Award (MVP of Oklahoma Prep Baseball).
              Last edited by Bucklin12; 07-27-2010, 02:37 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
              Christian Yelich
              LF, Greensboro Grasshoppers
              12/5/1991 - 19 years old

.299/.375/.461/.836
              100-334, 24 2B, 0 3B, 10 HR, 38 BB, 74 SO, 26 SB (4 CS)

------------------------------------

Last 10 Games:
              .394/.512/.697/1.155

Last Update: 7/27/2011

Comment

Seen this kid today at the Grand Prarie minor league park in the Dallas area playing in the American Legion mid-south regional. He hit the first pitch he seen out and it sure went a long way. i had never seen him before, but it was not hard to tell which player he was. Word up there at the park was that the Marlins were there to talk to him. He played shortstop in this game, but heard he caught yesterday. He is a very good looking athelete and I hope we can sign him.
                Last edited by gomarlins; 08-09-2010, 05:45 PM.

Comment

Callis says he signed for 600k

About what everyone thought he would sign for

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/draft/?p=2709
                  Last edited by tjfla; 08-10-2010, 05:35 PM.

Comment

J.T. Realmuto signs with the Florida Marlins
                    Former Carl Albert standout J.T. Realmuto was planning to go to Oklahoma State, but after receiving an offer from the Florida Marlins for more than $700,000, he decided to start his professional baseball career.
                    ---------------------------------------------------------

Former Carl Albert three-sport standout J.T. Realmuto said it would take a lot to pull him away from the chance to play baseball at Oklahoma State.

Former Carl Albert standout J.T. Realmuto will sign with the Florida Marlins. OKLAHOMAN ARCHIVE PHOTO

J.T. Realmuto signs with the Florida Marlins
                    But after Florida made him the third-round pick in June's MLB Draft, Realmuto knew there was a chance the Marlins could come through with enough to convince him to start his professional baseball career.

Monday night, the Marlins made an offer that surpassed the number Realmuto had in mind, and Tuesday evening, he signed with the team. “It's exciting,” Realmuto said. “It's a lot of weight off my shoulders now that it's over.”

Realmuto, picked 104th overall, will report to Jupiter, Fla., later this week to play for the team's rookie-level team in the Gulf Coast League.

After that season ends, Realmuto will return home for a couple of weeks before reporting for the Instructional League.

Realmuto had a record-breaking senior season, driving in a national-record 119 runs. He also had 28 home runs, 26 doubles, hit .595 and had a record-tying 88 hits.

His performance recently earned him the national player of the year award by the American Baseball Coaches Association and a spot on the organization's All-American team. He also made the Louisville Slugger All-American team.

Realmuto signed for a package that, including college payments, comes out to more than $700,000.

He was primarily a shortstop for the Titans but is likely to move to catcher in the Marlins organization. In anticipation of the move, Realmuto played catcher this summer with his American Legion team.

Also a football and basketball standout, Realmuto was named The Oklahoman's All-State and Big All-City baseball player of the year, was a member of The Oklahoman's All-State football team and was the Big All-City Player of the Year after helping his team to a 5A football title.

The Marlins have a deep connection to the state. Assistant general manager Jim Fleming and director of scouting Stan Meek both live in the state.

Read more: http://www.newsok.com/j.t.-realmuto-...#ixzz0wGbaB31u

Now let's hope we can also sign Randy Leblanc away from Tulane

Comment

Good deal for him which was $600,000 plus 4 years of college paid for.

No clue who told him he would be catching tho? It's possible with next year catching depth like this

Jupiter-Skip/Ceballos
                      GBoro-Gimenez/Paulino/1 of the older Catchers(Hord,Dudley,Glime)
                      Jamestown-Morales/Rodriguez

Comment

whoever told him he'd be catching was right

Former Carl Albert standout J.T. Realmuto reported to the Marlins' Gulf Coast League team soon after signing and appeared in his first game Monday.

Realmuto, catching for the GCL Marlins, saw a familiar face stepping into the batters box to lead off the game as former Putnam City standout Garen Wright was hitting first for the GCL Astros.

Realmuto's first at-bat came in the bottom of the inning, when he beat out an infield single and eventually came around to score.

Heading into Saturday, Realmuto had played in five games, going 3-for-14 (.214).

Read more: http://newsok.com/oklahomans-in-the-...#ixzz0xL3POXGW
                        Originally posted by Madman81
                        Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                        Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

J.T. Realmuto was all set to go to Oklahoma State University and play shortstop for the Cowboys. "I didn't think anything would make me change my mind," he said.
                          Then the Marlins picked just the right day to check out the high school record-holder for RBIs in a season.

"I only caught four games as a senior," Realmuto said. "I only did it when our catcher had to pitch. But one of those times was when the Marlins came to see me. They talked to me afterward and said they really liked what I did."

In fact, the Marlins liked the accidental catcher so much that they made him a third-round pick in the 2010 First-Year Player Draft. Now Realmuto had a difficult decision to make.

"I waited right until the deadline, but I decided to sign," said the right-handed hitter, who received a bonus of $600,000. "I knew that playing baseball was what I wanted to do, and I thought I'd better get started if I was going to be changing positions."

The 21-year-old Jupiter Hammerheads catcher remains a work in progress, but the potential is there for all to see. He had an impressive first full season in the Class A South Atlantic League a year ago and moved up to the Class A Advanced Florida State League this season, where he is ranked as Miami's No. 7 prospect.

The Marlins liked Realmuto as a catcher because of his strong arm and soft hands. A former high school quarterback, he also has the leadership qualities you like behind the plate.

Still, an occasional high school catcher doesn't become a full-time professional one overnight.

"It isn't an easy transition," Realmuto said. "But I've been putting in a lot of extra work and I'm definitely making progress."

Realmuto, who was picked for the Florida State League All-Star Game, had 14 errors and eight passed balls while throwing out 30 runners on 91 steal attempts.

"I went threw a little throwing slump," said Realmuto, who nabbed 42 percent of would-be base stealers last season with Greensboro.

Realmuto was an offensive force at Carl Albert High School in Midwest City, Okla. He hit .595 with 28 homers as a senior and set a national record with his 119 RBIs.

In the Minors, Realmuto's numbers have been much more modest. He hit .287 with 12 homers in the South Atlantic League a year ago and was batting .249 with eight homers, 41 RBIs and 12 stolen bases through 94 games with Jupiter.

"I've been disappointed with the way I've been hitting," said Realmuto, who had a .312 on-base percentage thanks in part to 29 walks compared to 48 strikeouts.

Realmuto closed strong last season and is hoping to do the same this year. He broke up a perfect game by Clearwater's Adam Morgan with an eighth-inning single Sunday and had two hits, including a double, on Monday at Brevard County.

There is an opening behind the plate in Miami, and the Marlins have been trying to fill it. Rob Brantly was acquired from Detroit in the deal that sent Anibal Sanchez and Omar Infante to the Tigers, and he is at Triple-A New Orleans. Kyle Skipworth, a first-round pick in 2008, is with Double-A Jacksonville.

Realmuto's upside may be greater than either, though. It just might take him a little while to realize it.

"I can't be impatient," he said. "I know you don't become a Major League catcher overnight."
                          FSL notes: Realmuto makes progress
                          Marlins prospect honing skills behind the plate with Jupiter

Comment

For the past two seasons, the day-to-day catching chores for the Jacksonville Suns were handled by Kyle Skipworth, the former 2008 first-round draft pick (sixth overall selection) of the Florida Marlins.

While Skipworth was adequate defensively, his success with the bat didn’t measure up to Double-A standards. He batted .207 with 11 home runs in 106 games in 2011 and only slightly increased those figures last year with a .217 mark and 21 homers.

Skipworth is now at Triple-A New Orleans and came close to starting the season as the Miami Marlins’ No. 3 catcher.

His replacement in Jacksonville this year will likely be J.T. Realmuto, who up until a few years ago had only caught a handful of games behind the plate, all of which were in Little League or high school. But the 22-year-old Oklahoma native has progressed enough through the Marlins system that he’s now the ninth-best Marlins prospect according to Baseball America and the 12th-best by MLB.com rankings.

Realmuto’s transition from shortstop to catcher came after a Marlins scout came to watch one of his high school games. The team’s regular catcher had to pitch that day and Realmuto was inserted in at catcher. The scout liked what he saw, felt that Realmuto had a future there and he’s been a catcher ever since.

‘I WAS ALL FOR IT’

“I had never thought about changing positions and going behind the plate until the Marlins scout told me they felt I had what it takes to become a major league catcher,” Realmuto said Tuesday, two days before the Suns open the 2013 season against the Jackson Generals at the Baseball Grounds.

“From that moment on, I was all for it. Since I signed [2010 third-round pick], I feel I’ve made tremendous strides, but I’m not even close to where I want to be.”

While Realmuto feels he needs to improve his game in certain areas like blocking pitches in the dirt, Baseball America thinks enough of his skills to rank him the Marlins’ “best defensive catcher,” ahead of Skipworth. Suns pitchers will be enthused with what Realmuto feels are his strengths behind the plate.

“It’s probably my arm, throwing runners out,” the 6-1, 206-pounder said. “Also, calling a game. I learned a lot from the coaches at high Class-A last year and that really helped me.

“As for hitting, I made some changes during the offseason because I didn’t have the type of year in 2012 that I wanted [.256 average, 8 homers, 99 RBI]. I feel very good right now. I’m more of a line-drive, contact hitter. I have power, but my swing doesn’t pertain to that.”
                            http://m.jacksonville.com/sports/bas...ns-new-catcher
                            Originally posted by Madman81
                            Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                            Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Baseball America thinks enough of his skills to rank him the Marlins’ “best defensive catcher,” ahead of Skipworth
                              what an accomplishment

Comment

homered and doubled in his first 2 AA at bats

Comment

Working...
                                X