J.T. Realmuto, C

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LocoMarlinFan View Post
    This pick is protected I believe. BA didn't rank him as a top 200 prospect and according to them this yr crop of talent from OKL is "Not up to par".
    Its a normal Beinfest pick. We always draft 1 project athlete early every draft.

Comment

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
      Its a normal Beinfest pick. We always draft 1 project athlete early every draft.
      Like Mike Stanton.

Comment

troof
        Originally posted by Madman81
        Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
        Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by The_Godfather View Post
          Like Mike Stanton.
          Or like Jai Miller, Cole Seifrieg, Jamar Walton, Greg Burns, Xavier Arroyo, Jon Fulton

Comment

Originally posted by LocoMarlinFan View Post
            Or like Jai Miller, Cole Seifrieg, Jamar Walton, Greg Burns, Xavier Arroyo, Jon Fulton
            1 for 7 when drafting projects outside of the first round IMO is a perfectly acceptable hit rate. Especially when that 1 'hit' becomes an uber-prospect.

Comment

He's signed with Oklahoma State but said he would consider signing if the money was right.

The Marlins have a deep connection with the state. Assistant GM Jim Fleming and director of scouting Stan Meek each live in the state.

Last year, the Marlins took Yukon pitcher Chad James with their first round pick and later selected his high school teammate Ryan Gibson, who wound up not signing and played for OU this year.
              http://www.newsok.com/carl-alberts-j...#ixzz0qIIwcs30
              Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.

Comment

Before the draft, Realmuto said he knew of the Marlins' Oklahoma ties and had worked out in front of Marlins personnel recently.

Realmuto said then that he was planning on going to Stillwater unless he was blown away by an offer.

"I don't have any idea what I'm going to do,” Realmuto said. "We're going to get together and talk in the next week or so and start negotiating and see how things come out.”

Realmuto elected not to get an adviser in the process.
                http://www.newsok.com/marlins-pick-j...ad_story_title
                Sanchez life

Comment

If he won't sign for something close to slot I rather us not sign him and get that compensatory pick at the end of the 3rd round next year. Would much rather use the money to sign 16th round pick Randy Leblanc.

Comment

Anyone got an actual scouting report on him?

Comment

Catcher/shortstop J.T. Realmuto set national high school records this spring with 88 hits and 119 RBIs. A 6-foot-1, 190-pound righthanded hitter, he has an unorthodox style at the plate. He has a wide stance and leans the bat behind his right arm, an approach that may not work against better pitching or with wood bats. He has good bat speed and the ball jumps off his bat. A quarterback who led Carl Albert High to the state 5-A football title in the fall, Realmuto has arm strength and good actions in the field. If he can stay behind the plate, that will enhance his value. His set-up makes it unclear how high he'll go in the draft, and if he doesn't turn pro he'll head to Oklahoma State. He's the nephew of Cowboys wrestling coach John Smith, who won two Olympic gold medals and has guided Oklahoma State to five national championships.
                      from BA

I don't know how much I'll cry if we don't sign him, assuming we spend the money elsewhere in the draft (looking at LeBlanc)

Comment

Tulsa (AP) - Four high school baseball players in the Sooner state have been taken in the first two days of the Major League Baseball First-Year Player Draft.

The first selected was Carl Albert's J.T. Realmuto, a short stop for the Titans and OSU signee who was snapped up with pick number 104 by the Florida Marlins.

Realmuto helped guide the Titans to the Class 5A state tournament and a 35-and-7 overall record, leading the nation in runs batted in with 119 while also batting .595 and smashing 28 home runs.

Realmuto is also a standout on the gridiron and the hardwood.

On the football field, he quarterbacked the Titans to a 12-and-2 record and the Class 5A state championship, passing for more than 19-hundred yards and 20 touchdowns and running for another 14-hundred yards and 25 scores.

On the court, he averaged 12.2 points and 7.9 rebounds per game for the 17-8 Titans, who advanced to the area playoffs.
                        http://www.ktul.com/news/stories/0610/744182.html

Comment

I dont really remember Stanton being called a project so much as a guy with incredible raw tools who thought would be a tough sign because he was a stud FB player in HS as well and had an offer from...USC right?

BTW, I have a vendetta against OK State and hope that the Fish sign him away from there. OK State kept recruiting a SS SIU had already signed to an LOI and he decommitted and is now a Cowboy. Fuckholes.
                          Last edited by Todd; 06-12-2010, 10:27 PM.
                          Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
                          Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
                          Noah Perio
                          Jupiter
                          39 AB
                          15 H
                          0 2B
                          0 3B
                          0 HR
                          0 BB
                          .385/.385/.385

Comment

Scholar-Athlete: From sports to academics, J.T. Realmuto driven to excel

BY JENNI CARLSON 0
                            Published: June 13, 2010
                            To understand how J.T. Realmuto is wired, you need only see his bedroom.
                            Clothes are hung just so. Shoes are stored just so. Shelves are tidy. Even the floor is clear and clean.
                            ADVERTISEMENT

Out of the ordinary? Maybe not. But it's not the way most teenage boys keep their rooms.
                            Then again, Realmuto isn't like most.
                            "He wants to do it right,” his football coach said of how Realmuto approaches everything. "He wants to do it right every time — the first time and every time after that.”
                            That applies to everything.
                            As a result, Realmuto has become a standout in everything he does. He was a three-sport athlete at Carl Albert High School, winning four state titles, earning All-State honors in two sports and even breaking a national record in baseball. He was a classroom champion, maintaining a 4.2 weighted grade point average and scoring a 32 on his ACT.
                            That makes Realmuto the recipient of the Bob Colon Scholarship, presented by The Oklahoman and the Jim Thorpe Association to the top male high school scholar-athlete in the Oklahoma City area.
                            "He really hasn't found anything he's not good at,” longtime teammate and buddy Clark Roberts said.
                            Yet as easy as Realmuto has made everything look, it hasn't been simple. Not for someone juggling three sports in one of the state's most successful high school programs. Not for someone taking a heavy dose of advanced classes.
                            Not for someone who always wants to do everything right.
                            J.T. Realmuto never remembers sports not being part of his life.
                            He began watching his older brother and sisters playing baseball or softball or wrestling. Then, he started baseball at 5 years old and wrestling at 6 years old. He added football and basketball in fourth grade. He even played tennis for a bit in middle school.
                            "Baseball, I loved more than any of them,” Realmuto said. "But I loved them all. I just loved playing.”
                            Competitiveness, you seen, runs in his blood.
                            His mom, Margaret, is the oldest of the Smith clan, the family best known for two-time Olympic wrestling gold medalist John. His dad, David, was a multi-sport athlete in high school, then played baseball at Southwest Missouri State.
                            "He taught me everything from my swing to how to field a ground ball to how to throw it right,” Realmuto said. "He definitely taught me how to play the game right, how to love it, how to respect it.”
                            It shows in the way Realmuto approaches the game.
                            "He's just consistent every day,” Carl Albert baseball coach Wayne Dozier said. "He came up the summer of his eighth grade year, and ... he was all business from that very first day.”
                            Realmuto became a starter as a freshman and helped lead Carl Albert to the state tournament every year of his high school career. Twice, the Titans won the title.
                            "He always stepped up when we needed him,” longtime friend and teammate Dakota Andrews said.
                            He mentioned Realmuto's 119 RBIs as a senior, a total that broke the single-season national high school record, a mark that he set in only 42 games.
                            "That pretty much tells that story,” Andrews said.
                            Baseball, though, is hardly all of the story.
                            David and Margaret Realmuto tried to talk their son out of playing basketball.
                            The football season was winding down, Carl Albert on its way to another state championship and Realmuto on his way to All-State honors at quarterback. He'd played football, basketball and baseball all along, but his parents wondered if maybe he might want to take it easy.
                            Realmuto knew football and basketball weren't his future, but he wanted to play as long as possible.
                            "You don't find many kids who do three sports and are successful at it like him,” Carl Albert football coach Gary Rose said. "Pretty unusual, and pretty special.”
                            Special enough that Rose and his coaches decided to move Realmuto from tight end to quarterback as a freshman. They liked his athleticism, but it was more than that.
                            He had smarts. He had grit. He had confidence.
                            "The respect he commands from his teammates,” said Rose, a hard-nosed coach not easily impressed, "gosh, that guy's unbelievable.”
                            Realmuto believes that's just the way he's supposed to be.
                            Ask J.T. Realmuto how he managed to finish high school with nothing but As and graduate in the top 10 percent of his class, and he doesn't hesitate.
                            "I pretty much have to balance it because of my parents,” he said. "I really didn't have a choice."
                            He laughed.
                            "If I didn't balance it, I was not going to be happy at home, so I just got it done.”
                            But his older sister, Ryan, insists he doesn't give himself enough credit. All four of the Realmuto kids got the same message.
                            "Not everyone excelled as much as Jake did in the classroom,” she said, using the family nickname for Realmuto. "He really took pride in his academics.”
                            Then again, that's what he always does.
                            "Basically anything he puts his name to, he really wants to excel in it,” said Ryan Realmuto, who played softball at Oklahoma State and is now an assistant at Hofstra. "No matter whether it's writing a paper or an at-bat in a baseball game, if it's got his name on it, he wants it to be done well.”
                            It's why he didn't just play three sports; he excelled in them. Why he didn't just take advanced classes; he aced them.
                            Now, he has his sights set on new heights.
                            Selected earlier this week by the Florida Marlins in the third round of the Major League Baseball draft, Realmuto is weighing whether to sign a pro contract or play at Oklahoma State. Whatever he chooses, his goal is to play in the big leagues one day.
                            "That's a long ways away,” he said. "I can't be satisfied for too long.”
                            For Realmuto, that has yet to be a problem.
                            http://www.newsok.com/scholar-athlet...rticle/3468038

Based on athletics and the respect he’s always shown, I’d be willing to put Carl Albert star J.T. Realmuto in the contention for The Oklahoman’s Scholar Athlete award.
                            But then when you actually look at his academics, he really does deserve it. Having great GPAs is great, but the weighted system has kinda taken the fun out of it.
                            However, you can’t discredit or question a 32 on the ACT. Guess I shouldn’t be too shocked as he showed a lot of intelligence on the field, court and diamond.
                            This was THE year for Realmuto, and I felt he ran away with the award. Whether it was at quarterback leading the Titans to the Class 5A state championship or being an undersized forward fighting for the boards on Jay Price’s basketball team or hitting one ridiculous home run after another for the baseball team, he did just about everything you possibly can.
                            What I remember most was his performance against Bixby in the state championship football game. He (and the team) simply would not be denied. You knew what the play was going to be, but you couldn’t stop it. And when he needed to make the big throw, he did.
                            That’s why it was fascinating to me to finally get to watch him play baseball this year. I really wasn’t sure if he could be better at baseball than football, but yea, he is.
                            In baseball, it almost looks effortless for him. He was able to hit for power by either pulling it or being able to go the opposite way.
                            I was a little surprised he was taken in the third round of the MLB draft by the Florida Marlins, but I certainly can understand why any team would take a chance on a talent like Realmuto. I would have picked him in the first three rounds, but it didn’t seem like that was the consensus among those in the know.
                            It’s tough to always perform when you’re expected to, but Realmuto came through. He put up video game-like numbers at the plate this year and deserved the honor of being named The Oklahoman’s All-State Player of the Year.
                            Realmuto is headed to Oklahoma State.
                            http://blog.newsok.com/highschoolspo...around-talent/
                            Last edited by LocoMarlinFan; 06-13-2010, 01:43 AM.

Comment

The more i have read on this kid the more i like him. He had over 40 carries in 2 different games in the playoffs in football. That does not mean he can play baseball, but it does show that he is a tough durable guy. Also he comes from the Smith wrestling family, their are about 6 of these guys(uncles cousin and a brother) that have combined for 2 olympic golds, 6 world championships, 9 ncaa championships including the first 4 time ncaa champion (Pat Smith), 15 ncaa all-americans and countless other titles. His uncle John Smith is considered the greatest american wrestler ever. Again this does not mean he can play baseball, but he does come from a family of world class athletes and very tough men.
                              Last edited by gomarlins; 06-13-2010, 09:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Todd View Post
                                I dont really remember Stanton being called a project so much as a guy with incredible raw tools who thought would be a tough sign because he was a stud FB player in HS as well and had an offer from...USC right?

BTW, I have a vendetta against OK State and hope that the Fish sign him away from there. OK State kept recruiting a SS SIU had already signed to an LOI and he decommitted and is now a Cowboy. Fuckholes.
                                A project that hits 38 bombs in his first full season? lol.
                                LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

Working...
                                X