No announcement yet.

Christian Yelich, OF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Being selected by the Miami Marlins to represent the club in the Arizona Fall League is one more thing to add to an already long list of accomplishments for Christian Yelich:

He already was a two-time organizational Player of the Year for the Marlins, an All-Star Futures Game selection, the Florida State League’s postseason All-Star, and the No. 1 prospect in the organization.

Everything is going right for the 20-year-old native of Thousand Oaks, Calif., this year, but he keeps himself in check. That’s how Yelich, the first-round pick by the Marlins in 2010, was raised.

“Baseball’s a really humbling game,” Yelich said before the Phoenix Desert Dogs took on the Surprise Saguaros. “You can be at the top one second, and the next night you can [stink].”

Why stop there? On Thursday, the youngest player on Phoenix’s roster was named to the AFL Rising Stars Game roster for the West Division along with fellow Marlins prospects Michael Brady and Grant Dayton.

The left-handed slugger is making pro ball look easy. With Jupiter, Yelich’s average was .330 through 106 games. Agile on the basepaths, he has stolen 20 bases.

In 17 games with the Desert Dogs, Yelich is continuing to play well, batting .317 this fall with his new surroundings.

“You’ve got some older guys who’ve been around in Double A, Triple A,” the outfielder said. “They’re knocking on the door to the big leagues so it’s kind of cool to see what they do to prepare for the game.

“Going out there and playing against the best makes you better. I’m using this to get experience and see what I’ll be going up against next year, and the years after.”

The only thing that held the organization’s top prospect back this season was his teammate (and roommate), catcher Jake Realmuto, who also joined the Phoenix roster in the AFL.

Late in spring training, Realmuto swung through a changeup, and the barrel of the bat caught Yelich in the elbow while he was standing on the on-deck circle. Yelich landed on the disabled list.

“We laugh about it now,” he said, joking that he doesn’t let the catcher forget it. “But it wasn’t funny at the time.”

If he can avoid the wrath of freak accidents, Yelich could be joining 60 percent of AFL alumni who reach the majors. Based on his track record, it looks like it could be sooner rather than later.
    http://www.bradenton.com/2012/11/07/...#storylink=cpy
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• “We had some great at bats and Yelich started it all off a leadoff home run,” manager Mike Redmond said. “I was really happy with the way we swung the bats.”

With Stanton taking at least a couple of weeks off to play for the United States in the Classic, Redmond will be looking to see who takes advantage of those extra at bats and maybe even make a good enough case to stick with the Marlins coming out of spring training.

Yelich’s future has been carefully mapped out. He’ll likely start the season in Class AA no matter how well he plays in the spring, but he could force a call up at any time during the season. Yelich reached base four times Saturday (he walked twice) and his hitting .462 in the spring.

“It’s fun for me to get a chance to punch him into that lineup,” Redmond said. “He’s responded.”
      http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/sp....yJtdcEHF.dpuf
      Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.

Comment

• One gets the feeling that if it were up to Marlins manager Mike Redmond or hitting coach Tino Martinez, outfielder Christian Yelich would be making his major-league debut sooner rather than later.

Sooner … as in early April.

“He’s ready. He’s having a great spring, and he’s proved he can play at this level,” Martinez gushed.

Said Redmond: “I love putting him in that lineup.”

Despite the praise, the Marlins are likely to stick to their original plan for Yelich to start the season in Class AA Jacksonville.

Yelich, 21, is the story of the spring for the Marlins. His .379 average, .500 on-base percentage and team-high nine RBIs tell part of the story. But Yelich has also been impressive because he has handled himself with the poise of a veteran player, Redmond said.

“A lot of young guys, they’ll go up against certain guys and swing out of the zone and chase pitches where they feel really uncomfortable against guys who have really good stuff,” the manager said. “He’s the opposite.

“The better the pitcher, it seems like the more patient he is and nothing seems to rattle him at all. That’s impressive.”

Yelich hit a two-run homer in Sunday’s 10-2 victory over the Atlanta Braves, his second home run of the spring. He was 1-for-4 and also reached after taking a Tim Hudson pitch off his foot in his first at-bat. He scored three runs.

Yelich, the Marlins’ minor-league player of year the last two seasons, has been ticketed as the team’s left or center fielder of the future since being drafted in the first round in 2010. Although he has never played higher than Class A Jupiter, the thought was he could force a promotion to big leagues at some point this season.

After two weeks of spring, that appears much more likely.

As for the left-handed hitting Yelich, wherever he starts the season is fine.

“It’s out of my control,” he said. “That’s part of it. You accept it. At the same time, you just figure if you take care of business and do what you need to do and do what you’re supposed to do, then everything will take care of itself and hopefully you’ll end up where you want to be.”

The danger, of course, is promoting a young player before he is ready. And the Marlins have had mixed success with their “can’t miss” prospects, hitting on midseason call ups for Miguel Cabrera and Giancarlo Stanton — both making their major- league debuts at the age of 20 — but watching Jeremy Hermida never fulfill his promise after he belted a grand slam in his first big-league at-bat at 21.

“Believe me, we go around and around,” Redmond said of the discussions about when Yelich could be ready. “That’s something we’ll have to talk about.

“The biggest thing is we have to make sure he’s ready to come to the big leagues. We don’t want to rush guys.”

Yelich took the approach that he would enjoy his first big-league experience this spring and not worry about impressing anyone.
        It has worked.

“I went out there from day one to have fun with it, try to learn as much as possible while I was up here,” he said. “I think going out there, being relaxed, feeling comfortable translated into success. That mind-set really helped me.”

Redmond is not completely surprised after seeing Yelich in the Florida State League last summer. Redmond was manager for Dunedin, the Toronto Blue Jays’ Class A affiliate, while Yelich was hitting .330 for Jupiter.

But Martinez, who joined the Marlins this offseason, appears blown away by Yelich’s maturity.

“He’s a very patient hitter, he’s got a great eye, his approach is fantastic,” Martinez said.

“The most impressive thing is not knowing any of these pitchers, (and) he lays off all the sliders in the dirt, forkballs in the dirt. He’s just real patient and has a great idea what he’s doing.”
        http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/sp...ami-mar/nWncF/

Comment

• He's gonna be such a beast for another team in like 5 years.
          This post was brought to you by: Dat SEC Speed

Comment

• Walk-off two-run bomb today.
            LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

• I hope we get to see Yelich this year, because that'd at least give me a reason to watch.
              Last edited by Chewford; 03-11-2013, 03:36 PM. Reason: Hugg is lying.
              Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM Hugg!

Comment

• Originally posted by Chewford View Post
                I hope we get to sell Yelich this year, because that'd at least me a reason to watch.
                Chewie won't watch until we get rid of Yelich

Comment

• Will the world remember Christian Yelich?

Comment

• #YOLOfoYelich

Comment

• I'm just so turrified he gon be Hermida'd

Comment

• Hermida was ready

Comment

• I should have clarified

I'm worried he's going to pull a Hermida, not get Hermida'd

Comment

• Agreed, bro.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fritz View Post
                              He's gonna be such a beast for another team in like 5 years.
                              Exactly.

I feel like I want to fuck Yelich on the 3rd date but I know deep down inside that he's going to bolt on me right when I start to fall in love.

But I'm gonna fuck him anyway.

Comment

• I think a better way to express that could have been found.
                                Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
                                Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
                                Noah Perio
                                Jupiter
                                39 AB
                                15 H
                                0 2B
                                0 3B
                                0 HR
                                0 BB
                                .385/.385/.385

Comment

Working...
                                X