New Uniforms Discussion: New Uniforms Seen FIRST on SoFlaMarlins.com

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
    It's not Brito at all. It couldn't really be less Brito.

And what part of Miami goes to baseball games and is separate from the rest of the city?

And what would be more appropriate for the part of Miami that watches baseball games?
    Stupid school internet ate my post.

Look at the professional logos for the rest of the franchises in Miami. Heck, include the colleges. How many have three colors (where one isn't white)? How many look like they were inspired by Miami Vice? This, by the way, includes a team that actually was founded in the 80s when it would have made sense.

Art Deco is cool, but it's not around the whole city. Also, the folks who would enjoy this logo (who, by the way, seem to be people not from Miami [no disrespect to all of you, but it's true. xoxo.] or those who are already into the Art Deco scene. Anyone I've shown the logo to today thinks it's hideous. Most responses on Facebook are negative. Sun Sentinel said it was 80% negative opinion.) aren't the target market. If they are, well, the team is going to lose a lot of money. Kendall doesn't look like this. Hialeah doesn't look like this. Little Havana, South Miami, etc. Not even the people in downtown, for the most part, dress like this. The business owners who are supposed to be the new wave of cash for the team? They don't dress in creamsicle.

Miami is like any other big city - it has its suburbs that creates its whole. The piece of Miami that brings these colors and this logo to the table isn't the one that will be going to the stadium. They don't care about sports.
    God would be expecting a first pitch breaking ball in the dirt because humans love to disappoint him.
    - Daft

Comment

• I hate harping on this, but the Marketing Department has dropped the ball again.

The more I look at it, the more I see all the flaws in the logo. The color scheme is fine but the execution, starting with the marlin could have been a lot better.
      --------------------
      From CCSLC:

For those that saw the unis, two questions (and I don't know if this will get you guys in trouble or not):

1. Does the road uni say "MIAMI" or "MARLINS"?
      2. Does the "M" on the uniform have the marlinplaneswoosh thing or is it just the plain wordmark?
      All jerseys say Miami. Alts say Marlins. Both have Marlin silhouette.
      Last edited by Party; 09-21-2011, 11:03 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• Kendall, Hialeah, and South Miami don't really look like anything. The image of our city is the Beach.

And if we go by what people in Miami who watch baseball wear, our jerseys would be guayaberas. This team is from 1993. It has no legacy. It has no long history. I'd rather it try to make something distinct and appropriate for the city and it's youth.

Traditional is for teams with tradition.

Comment

• Putting MIAMI on all the jerseys is inline with the marketing campaign about this being "our" team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Claudio Vernight View Post
            That's fucking terrible.

Comment

• I think they're cool.

Comment

• this is great

I will take 2 of each

Comment

• Creamer site:

-Two alternate uniforms, one black and one orange

-No pinstripes on the home uniforms.

Comment

• Originally posted by CrimsonCane View Post
                    Kendall, Hialeah, and South Miami don't really look like anything. The image of our city is the Beach.

And if we go by what people in Miami who watch baseball wear, our jerseys would be guayaberas. This team is from 1993. It has no legacy. It has no long history. I'd rather it try to make something distinct and appropriate for the city and it's youth.

Traditional is for teams with tradition.
                    The image of Miami for the rest of the US is beaches. That's not necessarily the image that people from Miami have - and the latter are the group that will be buying stuff and going to games.

I have to say guayabera uniforms would be fun. But they bring up a good point - how many guayaberas differ from similar color palettes? I have a guayabera that is dark with some thin white stripes and it's pretty eye-catching for how different it is. This is conservative attire for conservative people. Not the kind of culture who want to have a baseball team wearing uniforms like this.

Tradition for the sake of the idea of tradition is certainly not a good plan. In fact, I understand completely why the Marlins are doing a total restart going into the new stadium, pretending that only 1993, 1997, and 2003 happened. It's every Marlins' fan dream it seems like. But the opposite end of the spectrum simply to stand out is just as bad, if not worse.

Then again, this botched attempt should be no surprise. This is from the same organization who can't get a marketing campaign right. If they are doing field research, they aren't doing it right. If they aren't, they should be canned for not doing it.
                    God would be expecting a first pitch breaking ball in the dirt because humans love to disappoint him.
                    - Daft

Comment

• You can't have a conservative logo / look going in to THAT stadium. It's the most modern/futuristic ballpark in MLB; the logo and uniforms should be complementary to that style.

Comment

• I've said this before and I'll say it again: it SHOULD be the goal to appeal to the people besides those who currently watch the games. The people who are diehard fans, who go to games, who follow the entire season, they will buy apparel no matter what. I remember this same conversation after 2002 when they ditched the teal uniform and went to the black and silver ones. People hated them, didn't understand why teal would be gone, thought it left us no identity, said they wouldn't buy them. I see tons of people at games with those jerseys on because, well, if you want to buy a jersey, that's your only choice. What you want in a logo and jersey set is something that sets you apart from other teams. The national image for Miami is beaches and the team should embrace that. The people in Little Havana and Kendall are not going to say "I don't live on the beach, I don't have any kind of deco architecture so I'm not going to games or buying apparel." That's absurd to think that. If they don't like it, they'll go to games still. Maybe they'll hold out on buying apparel for a little while until their Juan Encarnacion jersey becomes too stained to wear and their teal hat/black brim falls apart. Then they have to buy the new apparel. People who do not live in Miami though will eat this up, I'm sure. You can already see the dichotomy on here between people from Miami and people who are not. Those are the people who will not definitely buy apparel, because they aren't going to games. And those are the people you risk losing to another team (up here in Gainesville it is very tempting to drive to the Trop or to Turner Field).
                        Originally posted by Madman81
                        Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                        Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• Originally posted by CrimsonCane View Post
                          You can't have a conservative logo / look going in to THAT stadium. It's the most modern/futuristic ballpark in MLB; the logo and uniforms should be complementary to that style.
                          It's not the only style it has to be complementary to, though. It also doesn't have to be Turn Ahead the Clocks bad.
                          - Daft

Comment

• I love when people imply that since they don't like something, obviously the team dint do any field testing or did it inappropriately. Todd did it a while back and we all killed him for it and now Omar is doing it. It's really silly.
                            poop

Comment

• What Omar is saying is completely different from what Todd was saying. It's pretty obviously they dropped the ball on this logo with the people who would buy it. The negative reaction is universal.

Comment

• Are you guys seriously saying that you won't watch a team, or go to games just because of a logo??

That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. If they go out this off season and make a splash and sign some big names players, you're going to forgot all about this logo.

I'll be first in line to buy a hat when they start selling them.

Comment

Working...
                                X