No announcement yet.

New Uniforms Discussion: New Uniforms Seen FIRST on SoFlaMarlins.com

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The black outline is what makes it look different.

Comment

• But if I don't see what looks different about it, can you explain to me what you are seeing that looks different? It looks exactly the same shape to me.
      poop

Comment

• On a dark backdrop it looks segmented.

Comment

• Bob, nevermind when you see it, you'll notice it.

Comment

• Thanks.
            poop

Comment

• I'd guess the sleeve patch would/could be the stadium logo (the swoopy one with the red, orange, yellow, blue, and green strips coming out of it) with something along the lines of '2012 inaugural season' on it

Comment

• At first look, I don't hate it. It's incredibly plain but I don't hate it. I don't love it either but I never expected to. For some reason my initial impression is that it looks like a college baseball jersey.

Comment

• I love that it doesn't have piping down the middle.
                  poop

Comment

• Oh my gosh Hugg.

Does it hurt when you're on fire?

Comment

• Article on the first uni unveiling in 1993:

By Craig Davis, Staff Writer
                      6:28 p.m. EST, November 8, 2011

It was easy to envision Erick Strickland as a power-hitting outfielder who might become a fan favorite in then-Joe Robbie Stadium as he stood there in the very first Florida Marlins home-white uniform bearing Jackie Robinson's No. 42.

"Today I was fantasizing about what the stadium is going to look like where I`d be playing. It`s a beautiful place. I`m looking forward to playing here in front of the big South Florida crowd," Strickland said in July 1992 when he helped showcase the Marlins'original uniforms.

Friday, when the franchise cuts ties with its teal past and is reborn as the Miami Marlins, manager Ozzie Guillen and current Marlins players will model the new line of uniforms.

The Marlins didn't play their first game until April 1993, so they brought four young players from their Gulf Coast League rookie team for the debut fashion show. None of them would ever make it to The Show, but Strickland went on to wear the uniforms of six teams during a nine-year career in the NBA.

Text alerts: Get South Florida sports news on your phone

The others were Australian-born Brendan Kingman, who would help his national team win a silver medal at the 2004 Olympics; Clemente Nunez, who would pitch one of the organization's first no-hitters; and Claudio Cardona, who was one and done after only 11 games that season.

"It was a good experience for an 18-year-old kid to be one of the first ones to wear a Marlins uniform," Strickland said this week from Dallas, where he works in sales for a car dealership.

Strickland was among the best all-around athletes ever to play in the organization. He is in Nebraska's Basketball Hall of Fame and briefly flirted with football during spring practice in 1996. The show he put on as a tight end in one practice left a lasting impression on Cornhuskers assistant Ron Brown.

"It was truly amazing," Brown recalled in a Nebraska media publication in 2009. "He would have been a great college — and NFL — receiver, safety or outside linebacker." NBA scouts weren't as thrilled to see him on the football field.

"Football was my best sport. As a young kid I really understood … what my risk level was at putting my body out there and what the return was on that," Strickland said.

He batted .262 in two seasons in the minors for the Marlins while playing basketball at Nebraska. John Boles, then the head of player development, told him he had major league potential and advised him to concentrate on one sport.

In rookie league, he played with five future major-leaguers, including Edgar Renteria and Tony Saunders, who would contribute to the Marlins' first World Series championship.

"To watch [Renteria] come up as a kid as well, and playing with him, and watching guys like Johnny Damon who led the Royals [rookies] at the time, those are great memories," Strickland said.

The future of teenage baseball players is difficult to project. Nunez, the first player the Marlins ever signed as a 16-year-old right-hander from the Dominican Republic, showed early promise. He started the Florida State League All-Star Game in 1995, when he was 12-6 with a 2.48 ERA for Brevard County and pitched a no-hitter against the West Palm Beach Expos. Arm trouble followed, and he was done in 1997.

Kingman, who wore the sleeveless home alternate jersey at the 1992 unveiling, was one of the best power hitters to come out of Australia, where he won four home run titles. His RBI single off Daisuke Matsuzaka produced the only run of the semifinal win over Japan in the Athens Olympics.

Strickland's NBA career peaked in a run to the Eastern Conference Finals with the Celtics in 2002. He has been a broadcaster, entrepreneur and minister, but he hasn't forgotten when he briefly wore the Marlins uniform.

"I'd like to see the fans really get behind them," Strickland said of the move to Miami. "Playing in a stadium tailored for baseball, that would be real enjoyable."

Copyright © 2011, South Florida Sun-Sentinel
                      http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/f...,4784874.story

"The stuff that I've seen out there, a lot of it is completely wrong," said Sean Flynn, Marlins vice president of marketing. "I haven't seen anything that is completely accurate yet."
                      A Miami Herald reporter found a cap for sale in a Buffalo, N.Y., sporting goods store bearing the original leaked logo. It had the trademark of Buffalo-based New Era, the licensed manufacturer of caps for Major League Baseball.

"That was from a room that had prototypes. It was not an actual Miami Marlins cap," Flynn said.
                      http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/f...,2660373.story

I'm going to LOL when the official cap is unveiled and it's exactly the same. The way Flynn (who if you ever meet looks like a giant douche) and Samson have denied reality is out of 1984 or the Baghdad Bob playbook of misinformation.

Comment

• Do the Marlins have an actual store in the Dolphins Mall/Sawgrass mall? The Sun Sentinel is reporting they're going to be sold by the Marlins there starting this weekend.

Comment

• They are going to have one of those center of the mall kiosks.

Comment

• Oh man I hope they have cellphone covers and free samples of face cream

Comment

• You have an invalid link to whatever you are trying to post.

Comment

• Really? I can see it just fine. It's a pic of Boner and Infante in the new uni's

Comment

Working...
                                X