No announcement yet.

Kyle Skipworth, C

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The "Olympic Rings" or platinum sombrero applies to a player striking out five times in a game,[1] while a horn (after Sam Horn of the Baltimore Orioles, who accomplished the feat in an extra-inning game in 1991) or titanium sombrero is bestowed upon a player who strikes out six times in a single game.[2]

[edit] History
    To date, no Major League Baseball player has ever struck out more than five times in a nine-inning game. However, striking out 5 times has been done. This feat has been achieved 57 times, (most recently by Justin Smoak of the Texas Rangers on June 13, 2010 versus the Milwaukee Brewers in a standard nine inning game. Smoak struck out 3 times against Yovani Gallardo, 1 time against Zach Braddock, and 1 time against David Riske) including two different platinum sombreros by Dick Allen, Pat Burrell, Alex Rios and Mark Teixeira. [3] The only games with six strikeouts have been extra innings affairs, and no major league player has ever struck out seven times in a game.

On August 4, 2009, Tampa Bay Rays third basemen Evan Longoria went 2 for 6, recording a golden sombrero and 2 home runs. The second home run was a walk off home run.

The record for plate futility in all of professional baseball belongs to Russ Laribee of the minor league Pawtucket Red Sox, who in 1981 struck out eight times in a thirty-three inning baseball game.
    -wiki

Comment

Originally posted by FishFanInPA View Post
      Golden Shower?
      Fip: Making it awkward since 2004

Comment

On August 4, 2009, Tampa Bay Rays third basemen Evan Longoria went 2 for 6, recording a golden sombrero and 2 home runs. The second home run was a walk off home run.
        am I missing something or does that not add up mathematically?
        Originally posted by Madman81
        Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
        Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

golden sombrero = 4 k

Comment

oh duh

we wuz talking about the platinum somberero so i just assumed!
            Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.

Comment

To dub AA
              "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
              - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

good luck

Comment

Strange. No need to rush him anywhere with Buck signed on for 3 seasons. Unless they noticed something different in his swing this spring that showed he was ready for such a jump.
                  Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
                  Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
                  Noah Perio
                  Jupiter
                  39 AB
                  15 H
                  0 2B
                  0 3B
                  0 HR
                  0 BB
                  .385/.385/.385

Comment

not the least bit strange

he's had 2 seasons in Greensboro, and while neither were good (he did improve from one year to the second) you need to show some confidence in him.... a third year in low-A could crush him

wouldn't have been the worst idea for him to be in Jupiter, but whatever... him being in Greensboro would make no sense

Comment

I was meaning I was surprised he isnt in Jupiter.
                      Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
                      Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
                      Noah Perio
                      Jupiter
                      39 AB
                      15 H
                      0 2B
                      0 3B
                      0 HR
                      0 BB
                      .385/.385/.385

Comment

Probably cuz Jupiter's park would have killed him

Comment

he kills himself

by sucking

Comment

His defense was real good tonight. Threw a guy out and made a nice scoop/tag on a play at the plate. He looked very average at the dish though, taking his way into pitchers counts and then swinging at bad pitches.

Comment

Kevin Goldstein just awarded Skipworth the 7th worst pick in the draft of the last decade.

7. Kyle Skipworth, C, Florida Marlins, 2008 (6th overall)

By the latter part of the decade, most teams were actively sticking their tongues out at the commissioner's bonus recommendations, but somehow, that memo never got to the Marlins, whose thrifty ways have always extended to the draft. Because the team is rarely outright bad, this is their only single-digit pick since 2000, when they selected Adrian Gonzalez at No. 1, and they just plain dropped the ball with Skipworth, who was seen as more of an early teen talent than this high a selection. He signed quickly and without any over-slot shenanigans, but that's about the only positive thing to say about his career. While there was some concern about his defense, scouts certainly thought he would hit coming out of high school, and he's done anything but, sporting a career batting average of .219 with 320 strikeouts in 259 games, including a .176 mark this season in his first exposure to Double-A pitching.

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/draft...ory?id=6614441
                              Brutal

Comment

yup

coulda gone with Smoak like I said

hell, even fucking Jason Castro

Comment

Working...
                                X