Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But is a legit top prospect... reading comprehension

Comment

Promoted to Jax -- their giving him a AA start before the season is over and it's happening right now against the Cubs AA club, which is quite good.

He's pitched an inning so far, giving up a run on 2 singles (one was a bunt) and recording a K (against Brett Jackson -- one of the Cubbies top prospects).
      Christian Yelich
      LF, Greensboro Grasshoppers
      12/5/1991 - 19 years old

.299/.375/.461/.836
      100-334, 24 2B, 0 3B, 10 HR, 38 BB, 74 SO, 26 SB (4 CS)

------------------------------------

Last 10 Games:
      .394/.512/.697/1.155

Last Update: 7/27/2011

Comment

I'm really starting to like this kid.

City Hall in Chaska, Minn., was pretty quiet Tuesday. But if any business were required it could have been conducted in South Florida, where the mayor, city administrator and assistant finance director were preparing for a big night at Sun Life Stadium.

Those three and some 20 other friends and relatives were here to watch Chaska's favorite son, Marlins lefty Brad Hand, make his major-league debut.

Hand, 21, tossed six innings of one-hit ball and took the loss in Atlanta's 1-0 victory. His outing was the talk of Chaska, which for the day was without its mayor, Mark Windschitl; city administrator, Matt Podhradsky; and assistant finance director, Barb Hand, who also happens to be Brad's mom.

"It was so well worth it," Windschitl said of the trip. "After we got back I got to thinking, 'We just saw a young man make that kind of a jump.' "

Chaska is a town of 24,000 located 25 miles southwest of Minneapolis. CNN Money ranks Chaska No. 8 on its list of most livable small U.S. cities because of its beauty, quality jobs and family atmosphere. So it was no surprise that the big-league debut of the state's 2008 high school player of the year was a big deal in town, where a couple of watch parties were held.

"That's pretty cool," Hand said of the hoopla. "I never expected that but it's awesome."

Hand, who made the jump from Class AA, earned at least one more start - he faces Arizona on Sunday - and probably more considering that Josh Johnson's return from right shoulder inflammation appears at least a couple of weeks away.

And although his parents, Barb and Lon, will be in attendance today, most of his cheering section will be watching from Chaska.

"I try not to think about it too much," Hand said of the eyes on him. "I just worry about what I need to do out there."

Hand's fan club was forgiven for the cheers that echoed throughout the hallway outside the Marlins clubhouse when he came out after the game Tuesday. Protocol usually requires that chatter and cheering be kept to a minimum after a loss, but this was a time for an exception.

What impressed Windschitl was that most composed person in the group was the one who just three months ago could not legally drink.

"He just stayed calm and cool," said Windschitl, who then started thinking, ' "Holy cow kid, do you realize what you just did?' "

Hand has been all business since being drafted in the second round in 2008 and giving up a scholarship to Arizona State. He came to the Marlins with a plus-fastball and solid curve. But he needed work on his command and delivery.

"I had a really wild and violent delivery," he said. "I had to fine tune that and calm everything down."

Hand worked with organization pitching coordinator Wayne Rosenthal, who also helped the teenager develop a changeup. Now, Hand believes his changeup is better than his curve, although he said that could "depend on the day."

Hand tries not to think about the immediate future. Unless Johnson's injury is worse than the Marlins are letting on, Hand likely will return this season to the Jacksonville Suns.

But with a minor-league system lacking in pitching, Hand has made a huge impression on the Marlins.

"I'm trying to stay up here and work my hardest to show them that I can stay up here," he said. "I'll pitch my game and try to make it a tough decision on them.

"If I go back, this will give me a taste of what it's like to be up here."

A taste that his hometown also enjoyed.
        Florida Marlins rookie pitcher Brad Hand impresses current team and fans from his hometown

Comment

Originally posted by mbaamin08 View Post
          I'm really starting to like this kid.
          Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck.

Comment

hahahaahha.
            LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

come on mibs is due to like a winner. right?

Comment

We can blame the whole adopt-a-prospect draft. I really hadn't followed him much before that.

Comment

Originally posted by Mainge View Post
                  Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck.
                  Haaaa

Comment

It also rained today. It must be contagious.

Comment

he's thrown 8 straight quality starts now
                      Originally posted by Madman81
                      Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                      Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Brad Hand did not allow a hit in six innings to lead the New Orleans Zephyrs to a 2-1 win over the Sacramento River Cats on Tuesday night.

The Zephyrs' win, coupled with a loss by Albuquerque, moved the Zephyrs to within three games of the first-place Isotopes with 20 games remaining.

Hand took a no-hitter into the eighth inning against Albuquerque on May 29 before allowing a double, but on Tuesday, only surrendered his bid at the first Zephyrs' no-hitter since 2001 because of pitch count.

Hand (10-5) labored through a long second inning that saw him walk the bases loaded before getting Jermaine Mitchell to foul out to escape the jam. By the end of the second, Hand had already thrown 53 pitches.

He settled down some from there, getting through the next four innings with two walks issued, also striking out eight batters before exiting with 112 pitches thrown.
                        http://www.houmatoday.com/article/20...ast-Sacramento
                        Originally posted by Madman81
                        Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                        Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

TOO MUCH UPSIDE TO CALCULATE

Comment

2.5 FIP this season; Haren's is almost double that.

Comment

Working...
                            X