No announcement yet.

Cantu Can Do It All, Fish Take Series with 6-5 Victory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think I completely agree with that. At some point, I'd like to trust a player of consequence, and make no mistake, Maybin is a player of consequence, to not be the worst player we're going to see.

It'd be one thing if we can say "well, he's going through growing pains but he can still do _______ well.". We can't say that about Maybin. If we're going to call that progress, fine, but that shows how ass backwards he was last year, which is yet again discouraging.

Comment

Well, it's 6 games, but I think it's silly to say you cannot say he's doing anything well.
      poop

Comment

I don't trust him to consistently do anything well. If you do, you haven't been watching the games. After the first week, you can't trust his glove, his reactions, his ability to make contact or even run the bases.

If there's an aspect of the game that Maybin excells at doing that I overlooked, please enlighten me.

Comment

But all bobrob said was that it is at least better than him being the worst player in the history of life that he was last year

I can agree with that. It's not exactly a great thing or something worth arguing, but I would agree with it.

Comment

I think just because he's not excelling at anything doesn't mean he's been worthless.

Like I said, it's 6 games so it doesn't really matter, but he's making better contact than he was last year, he's working counts fairly well, he's shown a great ability to bunt for hits, and with the exception of the Johan game he's been very good offensively overall.

Of course, ignoring one game out of 6 is stupid, but still. He's been a much improved offensive player thus far.

Also, is he running the bases poorly?

He got picked off once. Am I missing something else? Are we penalizing him for tripping coming around third the other night?
            poop

Comment

Maybin is doing much better than last year so far. This is silly. He tripped going around 3B because he was hauling ass.

Comment

Maybin also made huge strives in his selection of walk up songs too
                Originally posted by Matt Wilson
                Fish and Chips just became the smartest man on the board
                Tom Koehler(4-0)
                AAA: 7 GS, 40.2 IP, 2.66 ERA, 34 H, 12 ER, 17 BB, 31 SO, GO/AO 0.87, BAA .233 , 1.25 WHIP

Comment

For the 5 games after the Johan game, Maybin's line is .300/.391/.350, he has got a hit in 4 of those 5 games and reached base in all 5. He struck out 4 times in those 5 games, and 2 of them came against a knuckleballer, compared to 3 BBs. Small sample size galore, of course, but Swifty is being unreasonably melodramatic. Maybin looks to be coming around(I would go so far as to say he is a pleasant surprise so far, at least at the plate).
                  Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
                  Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
                  Noah Perio
                  Jupiter
                  39 AB
                  15 H
                  0 2B
                  0 3B
                  0 HR
                  0 BB
                  .385/.385/.385

Comment

And he's been pretty dismal in the field so far.

I don't know, Maybin just has this goofiness--for lack of a better word--about him that just doesn't inspire confidence in me that he'll ever approach the player he was hyped to be.

Comment

The team as a whole has been pretty poor in the field.

Comment

Originally posted by Daft View Post
                        Maybin is doing much better than last year so far. This is silly. He tripped going around 3B because he was hauling ass.
                        i highly doubt the fact that he tripped rounding third is what everyone is complaining about in regard to cameron maybin.

its only been six games though, so we'll see

Comment

Sure, but he questioned his ability to run the bases. I don't really see evidence for that.
                          poop

Comment

Originally posted by Sashimi View Post
                            And he's been pretty dismal in the field so far.

I don't know, Maybin just has this goofiness--for lack of a better word--about him that just doesn't inspire confidence in me that he'll ever approach the player he was hyped to be.

Well there's good reason for that. He is kind of goofy in a way. He runs weird and his face actually looks a slightly goofy (it's the eyes). But as long as he runs fast (which he does) then who cares how he runs?

Maybin made a costly error today in CF. No doubt about it. But these things happen in baseball. Hermida made a career in FLA making those types of errors. But we can't forget about the balls that Maybin has been tracking down with ease out there either.

Comment

When I was talking about the base running, it wasn't really the tripping on 3rd thing, it had more to do with the embarrassing pickoff today, with 2 outs no less.

Also, not to keep doing this, but if we keep playing the Maybin screw up game, its problematic that we can refer to more than one instance of each issue, it's not like one isolated event. After just one week, that is not great.

That said, he's off to a better start than you'd think given his play, so I'm hopeful improvement is on the horizon, and that's great.

Comment

The pickoff was really his only baserunning error.
                                poop

Comment

Working...
                                X