Marlins Get Ready to Have a Debatable Home Run Celebration at New Park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marlins Get Ready to Have a Debatable Home Run Celebration at New Park

When a Marlins player hits a home run in the new ballpark, his feat will be celebrated with an explosion of color, lasers, pelicans and at least one jumping marlin.

In keeping with making the Little Havana ballpark a work of art, Miami-Dade County's Art in Public Places Trust approved on Tuesday a proposal for a piece of artwork celebrating home runs designed by world-renowned multimedia pop artist Red Grooms.

Although still conceptual, the piece, expected to be 50 feet to 60 feet tall, is signature Grooms – bright pink, blue, aqua, orange, and lots of moving parts. It's like an arcade game rising from a pool of Grooms-designed water and dotted with clouds, pelicans and seagulls. Marlins will jump and laser lights will shine.

"You will know you are seeing a work of art in our stadium in Miami," said Michael Spring, director of Miami-Dade's department of cultural affairs.

The home run feature is budgeted at $2.5 million and included in the $515 million cost of the 37,000-seat retractable roof ballpark under construction at the former site of the Orange Bowl. It will be behind the outfield wall and part of it is to be visible when games aren't being played. But once a Marlin hits a home run, it will come alive.

"I think there has to be some additional surprise elements the audience hasn't seen before," Grooms said by phone from New York. "I'm hoping the marlins will make their appearance after the home run."

Grooms, who was born in Nashville, said he visited Daytona as a teenager and the images of the ocean, seagulls and pelicans stuck with him.

Uni-Systems, which is doing the engineering work on the outfield wall and roof, will work with Grooms.

Marlins President David Samson said team owner and art dealer Jeffrey Loria was insistent the home run feature be a piece of art.

"It's very important to Jeffrey that our ballpark be the museum of baseball," Samson said. "The home run feature is the perfect opportunity to differentiate Miami from the other ballparks. No one will be able to look at that and say 'is that art or is that baseball?' It's both, it's art in a baseball ballpark."

For more on the home run feature and other public art approved for the ballpark, visit Sarah Talalay's blog at sunsentinel.com/sportsbiz.
    http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/f...,2974369.story

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZVx9cxexk4"]Pelican fly![/ame]
    This post was brought to you by: Dat SEC Speed

Comment

http://images.google.com/images?q=re...N&hl=en&tab=wi

I'm scared.

I hope it doesn't look tacked on like the recent Romero Britto additions to JRS.
      --------------------
      FTR I think Britto's stuff would look better based on the Grooms stuff on Google.
      Last edited by Party; 12-15-2009, 06:48 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

not sure how I feel about this except blah, rather spend money upon the team then artwork.

Comment

Loria is a moron.

I've been calling it since day 1, Loria's sense of "style" is going to ruin this ballpark.
          Last edited by Flum; 12-15-2009, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Every time I read one of these articles about the stadium, I can't help but think the front office is more geared up about it than anything they have ever done in baseball (or ever will, for that matter).

Comment

Flum, I think you are jumping to conclusions that are full of overreactions!

Comment

I'd more excited by Alfredo Amezaga than I would be by a jumping marlin.
                Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM Hugg!

Comment

But he's not art.

Comment

bright pink,
                    blue,
                    aqua,
                    orange,
                    and lots of moving parts
                    like an arcade game rising from a pool of Grooms-designed water and
                    dotted with clouds,
                    pelicans and
                    seagulls.
                    Marlins will jump and laser lights will shine.

Huh?

All I can think about is a Flying Spaghetti Monster and techno lights, and there is a Marlin in there somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Wilson View Post
                      But he's not art.
                      Actually, you know what, he is.
                      --------------------
                      Originally posted by lou View Post
                      bright pink,
                      blue,
                      aqua,
                      orange,
                      and lots of moving parts
                      like an arcade game rising from a pool of Grooms-designed water and
                      dotted with clouds,
                      pelicans and
                      seagulls.
                      Marlins will jump and laser lights will shine.

Huh?

All I can think about is a Flying Spaghetti Monster and techno lights, and there is a Marlin in there somewhere.
                      You obviously don't understand art.
                      Last edited by Metes; 12-15-2009, 09:49 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

i think there will be a lot of whining about the stadium during construction and then when it opens everyone will be like, "zomg this place is the coolest thing ever".

Comment

Nobody will give a shit because they'll be happy to have their own stadium.
                          This post was brought to you by: Dat SEC Speed

Comment

Originally posted by Fritz View Post
                            Nobody will give a shit because they'll be happy to have their own stadium.
                            That's already how I feel.

Comment

I think they should put a plaque of Steve Bartman up on the wall somewhere. Anything to piss off a Cub fan!

Comment

Working...
                              X