No announcement yet.

Pujolsapalooza: Multiple Reports - 10 Year Contract with Angels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you retire, you do not get paid for the remaining years. A player contract is a performance contract. If you are not ready, willing and able to perform the contract (here, retiring) you do not get paid.

Comment

• Just give the man what he wants.

Comment

• Originally posted by Swifty View Post
        If you retire, you do not get paid for the remaining years. A player contract is a performance contract. If you are not ready, willing and able to perform the contract (here, retiring) you do not get paid.
        Grazzi.

Comment

• Originally posted by MiamiHomer View Post
          twitter
          Actually, reading that again, I believe Rosenthal missed a period. If it reads like this, it's more of the same:

Sources: #Marlins will not relent completely on no-trade for Pujols. Compromise possible. Pujols will want significant deterrent. #MLB
          God would be expecting a first pitch breaking ball in the dirt because humans love to disappoint him.
          - Daft

Comment

• I think this is the one time you bend on the no-trade. It's you and the Cardinals in it; if this is all that's left, give it to him, the market has made it clear you're operating at a level no team is truly comfortable approaching. (I guess the argument works for Pujols too, but he'd still have the possibility of the Marlins subsidizing another team and splitting the contract).

Comment

• jonmorosi Jon Morosi
              Source with knowledge of Pujols talks: "Very fluid situation that could go either way." #STLCards #Marlins
              twitter

Comment

• Originally posted by Swifty View Post
                I think this is the one time you bend on the no-trade. It's you and the Cardinals in it; if this is all that's left, give it to him, the market has made it clear you're operating at a level no team is truly comfortable approaching. (I guess the argument works for Pujols too, but he'd still have the possibility of the Marlins subsidizing another team and splitting the contract).
                I'm with you. Give him the damn NTC and call him your first baseman.
                God would be expecting a first pitch breaking ball in the dirt because humans love to disappoint him.
                - Daft

Comment

• Seriously. This is arguably a top five hitter of all-time we're talking about here.

Comment

• Stick to your guns with the NTC.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ramp View Post
                      Stick to your guns with the NTC.
                      Ehhh, on someone like Buehrle, sure, on Reyes, yeah, sure. On Pujols, a guy who's clearly operating in the "special" category, you make the concession.

We gave on to Javy. We gave one to Pudge. We gave a poison pill to Delgado ($ to offset paying state income tax if traded). Just give the NTC to Pujols.

The other thing is, hypothetically, if we are doing this as a "put up or shut up" and we have another firesale, no one is going to come back for a looooooooooong time, so, really, if the Marlins want to operate on this level, you're giving Pujols a contract you expect him to finish with you (and theoretically break a lot of records in your jersey).

Comment

• I think with how large and potentially damaging this contract could be, you have to have a way to get it off the books, even if it's only partially removed.

Comment

• ARod got traded with a NTC. Sheffy did (twice). And Kevin Brown. And Mike Hampton.
                          --------------------
                          Those players didn't bring minimal returns because of the no-trade, they brought minimal returns because of the contract being so onerous.
                          Last edited by Swifty; 12-06-2011, 11:49 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• Swift has a good point. We really have to see this contract out as a franchise one way or another. Furthermore, he's going to get one in years 6-10 anyway. What are the chances that the core needs to be blown up in years 1-5? Slim. I think, at this level, you go all in.
                            - Daft

Comment

• Stick to your guns. Also a NTC to Vazquez and Pudge is nothing. It was a 1 year deal.

Comment

• Originally posted by Metes View Post
                                Just in case Pujols reads the boards.

Comment

Working...
                                X