TERA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TERA?

I guess xFIP is better for predicting future results, especially for pitchers who are getting lucky/unlucky with HR's allowed.

But it seems as though tERA is, at the very least, more telling than FIP. Interesting seeing some of our pitchers' stats, and how tERA seems somewhat more telling than FIP, in terms of predicting what their ERA's should be. Nolasco, for example, has a FIP/xFIP that says he's a mid-to-high 3 ERA guy, while his career tERA of 4.15 seems much more like him, in terms of what his ERA's have been over the years.

Basically, I don't get why tERA doesn't seemed to get mentioned nearly as much as the other two statistics (FIP/xFIP). Both by board members and those who analyze professionally.

Any thoughts on this from those who are more well-informed? Thx.

What goes into tERA?

Comment

Originally posted by Mainge View Post
      What goes into tERA?
      Well, from what I've read, it doesn't assign the same value to all batted balls like FIP does; that seems like the one major difference, but I really started reading about it a day or two ago.

I'm no expert, but I think I like it much more than FIP. I think.

Comment

Fip is fine, once you get past his irrational hatred of Andre Iguodala.
        poop

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
          Fip is fine, once you get past his irrational hatred of Andre Iguodala.

Comment

Originally posted by Erick View Post
            I'm no expert, but I think I have sex much more than FIP. I think.
            /fixed.

Comment

tERA assigns run values to walks, homeruns, and strikeouts like FIP does, but also to groundballs, line drives, and flyballs (if you give up more linedrives, you give up more runs).

The issue with tERA is how flawed the current GB/LD/FB consumption. Not all LD are the same (Look at Juan Pierre's career LD%), not all gbs are the same, so forth. The issue also is when exactly a LD becomes a FB and so forth.

tERA is good in theory but what it needs to actually be good is currently flawed. In the future it might be better, but for now several studies have shown that FIP correlates better to ERA.

Comment

I never liked xFIP.

Nny, how would xFIP work for a groundball pitcher, say?
                Last edited by Flasportsfan88; 05-19-2011, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Seems like SIERA might be the best pitching stat out there. Fangraphs recently added it to their site.
                  Last edited by Erick; 07-22-2011, 12:57 AM.

Comment

Here's an article on it:

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...rticleid=10027

Comment

I thought this was a thread about one of my ex g/fs... I was mistaken.

Comment

Working...
                      X