Chone Figgins, UT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chone Figgins, UT

Players are getting dressed in the Miami Marlins' clubhouse, playing cards, preparing for their day on the field. Two figures emerge from the batting cages having already put in an early morning round of work.

If there are any givens in this spring of uncertainty for the Marlins, it is the habits of these two veterans. Where you find Juan Pierre, you'll find his buddy, Chone Figgins. And they'll be working earlier and later than anyone else.

Most everyone has a friend who, after years of separation, you can pick right up with as if you've never been apart. Pierre and Figgins, with a combined 25 years of experience in the major leagues, have done that in their first big-league camp together.

Both 35, the inseparable pair has turned back the clock to 1998, when they were 20 and trying to gain a foothold in the Colorado Rockies' organization.

"I remember him walking across the field. I didn't know who he was," Figgins recalled. "After practice, everybody was gone. We looked at each other and said, 'You want to go to the cage?' It was dark. We flicked the lights on, and it's been that way ever since."

The same close friendship, but mostly from a distance during baseball season. Pierre and Figgins had that one summer together with Portland in the Class A Northwest League before their paths diverged.

Pierre and Figgins have been playing similar games, putting the ball in play and relying on their speed, but usually in separate leagues. Figgins came up with the Angels during their championship run in 2002. Pierre earned a World Series ring with the Marlins the following year. Now they are together, trying to extend their careers and provide veteran leadership on a young team.

"It's great. We never thought this day was going to happen. We're just soaking it up. If you see one, you'll see the other, and I'm excited," Pierre said. "He's like me — he's a workhorse. He's a competitor."

Figgins is in the same situation Pierre found himself in last spring with Philadelphia as a non-roster invitee attempting to regain a foothold in the major leagues. Pierre earned a spot and hit .307 and stole 37 bases in 130 games for the Phillies. He returned to the Marlins on a one-year contract worth $1.6 million, and is expected to lead off and play left field on Opening Day.

His buddy Figgins will have a place on the bench if he shows some of the skills this spring that made him an All-Star with the Angels as recently as 2009.

"We're hoping for him to show his versatility in spring training and to get his mojo back," Marlins manager Mike Redmond said. "I saw this guy play a few years ago and he was amazing. When he was in Anaheim, this was one of the best players I've ever seen in baseball. He could run, he could hit, he could play all over the place."

The past three years were anything but amazing after Figgins signed a four-year, $36 million contract with Seattle. His style never meshed with the Mariners, and as his production declined his playing time diminished. He batted under .200 the past two seasons as a bit player and was released with a year left on his contract.

Although he has always played in the American League, Figgins' skill set is better suited to the National League, where he can be moved to various positions in the infield and outfield during a game or fill a need off the bench.

"I'm not going to hit 10 home runs. But I'm going to make the pitcher work. My line drives and walks make up for a lot of stuff," Figgins said. "I'm going to run the bases, and I'm going to make sure these guys run the bases. That's one thing: A base hit to right field, you better go first to third. I'm going to be on them."

Pierre and Figgins have scored 1,739 runs and stolen 928 bases between them. A Marlins team that will need to manufacture runs is hopeful they can recapture the spirit of '98, when they ran wild together in the Northwest League.

"We've been best friends all these years. To be able to play together after this long, it's great to have him around," Pierre said. "I think with the fresh start he'll get back to what he's used to doing."
    http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/m...,5774731.story
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!
Working...
X