No announcement yet.

2009 Marlins Trade Deadline Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just kinda doubt they really want hermida tbh. not saying you or your friend is lieing but it doesn't fit what Z has been doing. He obviously favors UZR, not only has he moves been on it but he has Tom Tango on his staff and obviously is listening to him. And UZR hates hermida. With how much playing time Chavez got and and Langerhans is getting now I definitely think they prefer defense over offense.

Comment

• Originally posted by nny View Post
      I just kinda doubt they really want hermida tbh. not saying you or your friend is lieing but it doesn't fit what Z has been doing. He obviously favors UZR, not only has he moves been on it but he has Tom Tango on his staff and obviously is listening to him. And UZR hates hermida. With how much playing time Chavez got and and Langerhans is getting now I definitely think they prefer defense over offense.
      I don't mean at this moment. The Marlins were shopping Hermida around since June and they were interested however did not want to give up ANYTHING. I doubt he goes there but never know. The only team I heard that liked him in past few weeks in Cincinnati!!!!!

Comment

• Add the Marlins to the list of teams interested in Pirates lefty reliever John Grabow.

According to a National League source, the Marlins and Pirates have discussed possible trade scenarios that would land Grabow in Florida.

Upgrading the bullpen remains a priority for the Marlins as they hope to improve their playoff chances.

Grabow, 30, has appeared in 44 games for Pittsburgh, while posting a 3-0 record and 3.57 ERA in 45 1/3 innings. The Marlins bullpen entered Wednesday with the fifth best ERA in the National League -- 3.79.

In second place behind the Phillies in the National League East, the Marlins are in the process of searching for experienced relievers. Grabow broke in with the Pirates in 2003, and he's been in 389 games.

A durable lefty, he was involved in a career high 74 games and 76 innings in 2008.

Pittsburgh's third-round pick in 1997, Grabow has 39 strikeouts and 28 walks on the season. Ironically, left-handed hitters are batting .275 against him, while right-handers have a .246 average.

Grabow is signed for $2.3 million this year, and he will be eligible for free agency next season.

In recent weeks, Florida's bullpen has added veteran right-handers Brendan Donnelly and Luis Ayala.
        http://trades.mlblogs.com/

Comment

• How many fucking lefties do we need? As much as Pinto gives us heartburn, he's been good this season.

Comment

• Originally posted by Swift View Post
            All I'm saying is that since 2003, September has meant something meaningful every season, save '07, but even then we knocked the Mets out.

I don't think this is the year, necessarily to say "well, this chance won't come around again."

Our rotation isn't like San Fran where it's a situation where if you get to the playoffs, throw the records out the window, you're the team no one wants to play, it's not like Philly where you've won already, your window is somewhat closing and you might as well take another swing with what you know has already worked and you've improved it.

We're set up very well for the near future, we're an intriguing team now, and ultimately what I want done will have no impact on what actually happens anyway. We'll make a dumb overpayment for a reliever trade, I'll probably bitch and moan about it, everyone will remind me of it when the guy strikes out the side, and we'll still probably end up behind San Fran and St. Louis and Philly in the standings.

And lastly, does anyone honestly believe we're looking at a solution to the .299 OBP problem? Does anyone really believe we have a clue how much one simple switch (of Emilio and Baker) would make our lineup better? That's another reason I'm kind of down on making any moves right now, I just feel like we'd find some way to continue to hold ourselves back.
            Who honestly cares about competing in September? In baseball, save for the Yankees (which found out the hard way how things go last year) in the last decade, reaching the playoffs is in and of itself an honor. The National League has 16 teams and only 4 of them makes the playoffs. That means that only 25% of the NL is allowed to play real meaningful baseball. Simply getting into October is a big deal and should never be dropped.

This is, by the way, ignoring the fact that both times we've been there we've been fitted for rings.

We don't have a team that is by all definitions a top playoff team. We have two young aces and a solid back of the rotation that isn't great. We've had that kind of team before enter the playoffs. Pudge is remembered as a hero but he went into the playoffs hitting into double plays like it was on sale at Ñoo Que Barato. Our bullpen was an issue (and that's putting it kindly). The team overall was solid but not everyone amongst us counted them as champions in September. They became champions over the course of October, as every team every year does. No one gets trophies in July.

Considering we're in our 17th season of play and we've made the playoffs all of twice, we shouldn't be acting like we're high and mighty and don't need to get to October because we got kind of close the last handful of seasons.
            God would be expecting a first pitch breaking ball in the dirt because humans love to disappoint him.
            - Daft

Comment

• Pinto has a 1.46 WHIP...

Adding a LOOGY would help our bullpen. That's basicallyt he only addition our BP needs

Comment

• Yeah I wouldn't exactly say Pinto has been "good." He's certainly not as bad as a lot of people make him out to be, but I don't have a problem with adding a reliable lefty to our pen. The less Pinto we see, the better, in my opinion.

Comment

• I said it weeks ago. LaRoche/Grabow is a perfect combo for us. And they "like" Hermida.

Coghlan/Hermida for LaRoche/Grabow/A Ball RP Power Arm. And I only say Coghlan because I'm thinking like Beinfest and obviously Bonifacio is our 2B of the future.

That makes just ridiculous sense on paper. We get a 3B upgrade until Dominguez (and I mean LaRoche has to be better based on his minor league track record?), upgrade the pen, Hermida sheds salary to 'afford' Grabow and possibly a "Pavano" (i.e., we trade some relievers, like Pinto or whoever, as part of that package to clear bullpen space), opens up a slot for Maybin, Pitt can use Clement/Alvarez as their longterm corners, Pitt gets their 2B of the future, and now can deal Freddy Sanchez for the best SP prospect they can get as they don't have to worry about 2B.

I mean, why not? I'll take a risk on Andy LaRoche turning into .270/.350/.400+. Let alone his over 700 PA in AAA of over a .925 OPS. He's like a 3B version of Hermida. Frustrating, but there is potential in there somewhere.

Comment

• The issue with LaRoche is the same as hermida. He's putting up the walks, k's, and babip you'd expect. He's not putting up the ISO. They're both acting like slap hitters when they should atleast be average based off their track record

Comment

• How is his defense?
                      God would be expecting a first pitch breaking ball in the dirt because humans love to disappoint him.
                      - Daft

Comment

• +3 so far this year, and +1 each of the past two years (~230, 500 and 800 innings), so likely a plus defender, but average against the bunts
                        CSBC Commish

Comment

• Grabow is basically Pinto though.
                          "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
                          - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
                            I said it weeks ago. LaRoche/Grabow is a perfect combo for us. And they "like" Hermida.

Coghlan/Hermida for LaRoche/Grabow/A Ball RP Power Arm. And I only say Coghlan because I'm thinking like Beinfest and obviously Bonifacio is our 2B of the future.

That makes just ridiculous sense on paper. We get a 3B upgrade until Dominguez (and I mean LaRoche has to be better based on his minor league track record?), upgrade the pen, Hermida sheds salary to 'afford' Grabow and possibly a "Pavano" (i.e., we trade some relievers, like Pinto or whoever, as part of that package to clear bullpen space), opens up a slot for Maybin, Pitt can use Clement/Alvarez as their longterm corners, Pitt gets their 2B of the future, and now can deal Freddy Sanchez for the best SP prospect they can get as they don't have to worry about 2B.

I mean, why not? I'll take a risk on Andy LaRoche turning into .270/.350/.400+. Let alone his over 700 PA in AAA of over a .925 OPS. He's like a 3B version of Hermida. Frustrating, but there is potential in there somewhere.
                            Problem is they don't want Hermida. They want Coghlan and prospects.

Comment

• Yeah, but we see Pinto more so we know we hate him. We can hate on Fredi for throwing Grabow instead of using Calero some time once it happens. Then we can hate on Fredi for using Calero too much if he gets hurt again.

Comment

• Here is your update guys

We are looking at SP,RP,and a bat.

Trying to trade Jeremy Hermida but the problem is Pittsburgh has very little interest in him. They prefer Chris Coghlan and prospects(RVH,Ryan Tucker,Alex Sanabia) in exchange for Laroche or Sanchez and Grabow.

We like Andy Laroche,Freddy Sanchez,John Grabow from Pitt
                                We like Arthur Rhodes from Cincy
                                We like George Sherrill from Balt

What they are trying to do is trade Jeremy Hermida to Cincy for Rhodes and prospects and then see what Pitt wants for Laroche or Sanchez

Did NOT say anything about Cody Ross

Still looking at Pavano

Comment

Working...
                                X