Catching Up W/ Scott Pose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fluff Piece: Catching Up W/ Scott Pose

Dowling Catholic celebrated the past and the present last summer.

While Dowling Catholic celebrated success as the 2011 Class 4-A state baseball champions, the entire state honored a former Maroon.

Scott Pose, a former standout baseball player for Dowling, was inducted into the Iowa High School Baseball Coaches Association Hall of Fame last year.

Pose, who enjoyed a four-year career in the Major Leagues, etched his name in the record books when he was the first hitter in Florida Marlins, now Miami Marlins, history.

These days, Pose works in Raleigh, N.C., as a medical device representative. Pose is also a baseball analyst for the Big Ten Network and the Durham Bulls.

Q: Do people ever bring up your spot in baseball history?

A: On occasion they will. I keep it pretty low-profile. I rarely bring it up. Once in awhile I’ll run across somebody, especially around the Durham Bulls.

Q: You were inducted in the Hall of Fame and your alma mater won the state title. How exciting of a summer was it?

A: What’s interesting now is my friends had kids on that team that won, which not only makes me feel old but makes me proud to be part of the family too. It’s funny to see the same names that I was playing with.

Q: How much does your experience as an athlete help being a medical device rep?

A: What I went through is so much similar to what I do now. I was the type of player that had to perform every day and get a couple hits to stay around. I didn’t have that much natural ability and I had to work at it, and it’s very much the case here in sales where if you’re not out working, out hustling, then you’re not going to produce.

— Tommy Birch
    Des Moines Register
    God would be expecting a first pitch breaking ball in the dirt because humans love to disappoint him.
    - Daft
Working...
X