• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fluff Piece: Joe Cap: Team Counting on Group Effort to Replace Uggla

By JOE CAPOZZI
    Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Updated: 8:21 p.m. Sunday, March 6, 2011

JUPITER — Dan Uggla isn't scheduled to travel with the Atlanta's Braves for Monday's game against the Marlins, but his presence will be felt at Roger Dean Stadium - just as it has been all spring.

Since camp opened last month, the biggest question about the Marlins lineup in 2011 has been whether the team can replace the power lost when Uggla was traded to the Braves in November.

"We can't all be Dan Uggla,' catcher John Buck said with a grin. "Maybe as community we can do what Dan Uggla did, if that's what everybody is looking for.'

It might be what fans are looking for. After all, Uggla is the franchise's all-time home run leader and he led the Marlins with 33 home runs in 2010.

But it's not necessarily what the Marlins want out of their first Uggla-less batting order in five years.

They'd like to at least match last year's team total of 152 home runs through the continued development of players such as Mike Stanton, Gaby Sanchez and Logan Morrison. But they're also hoping better situational hitting, tighter defense and strong pitching will reduce the need for the long ball.

"Obviously when you lose 30 home runs in your lineup, you're going to hit for less power. But I think we'll pick up some power from some other guys,' said hitting coach John Mallee.

The biggest contributor the Marlins are banking on is Buck, who hit a career-high 20 home runs last year in Toronto. The Marlins got a combined nine home runs from their catchers in 2010.

Although Buck hit a combined 17 homers in his previous two seasons combined, he said last year was no fluke. He attributed his production to regular playing time and to changes to his batting approach, recommended by Blue Jays manager Cito Gaston.

"It gave me a lot more confidence in my swing, and my at-bats stayed a lot more consistent than they ever have,' said Buck, who's starting his first season with a National League team.

The Marlins also think Stanton will hit more home runs over his first full season than the 22 he hit last year in 100 games after a June call-up. Stanton hasn't played since he strained his right quad Feb. 27.

Manager Edwin Rodriguez said he expects Stanton to be ready for the season if he gets 35 to 40 at-bats this spring, either in Grapefruit League games or minor-league games.

Stanton is projected to bat fourth this year, but there are indications that he could open the year batting sixth, with Sanchez hitting clean-up and Morrison hitting fifth.

"I don't think the lineup is set right now by any means,' said Sanchez, who hit 19 homers and had 85 RBI as a rookie last year.

"Towards the end of spring the lineup will be shaping up. I think it's great Edwin has the ability to move around different (hitters) rather than just having a straight four-hitter or six-hitter.'

Chris Coghlan, who's returning from season-ending knee surgery, is projected to hit first with Omar Infante batting second. But the two contact hitters could swap spots, too.

The Marlins have been encouraged with third baseman Matt Dominguez's first week at the plate. Dominguez, projected to hit eighth, hit a pair of RBI singles Sunday, making him 4-for-13 this spring.

Rodriguez said he hasn't seen anything so far that would lead him to believe Dominguez, 21, won't make the team.

The other key to the batting order is Hanley Ramirez, who by his own account had a disappointing season last year when he batted .300 after winning the NL batting title in 2009 by hitting .342.

Hall of Famer Tony Perez, a Marlins hitting instructor, said Ramirez has gone back to the batting stance he used at the start of the 2009 season, a stance he went away from last year while battling through slumps.

Perez said he thinks the Marlins lineup is more balanced than it was last year when it scored 719 runs (seventh in the 16-team NL).

It's still early in camp, but Buck said the Marlins are encouraged.

"There are a lot of good things happening,' he said with grin, "that I think we will be able to overcome the Dan Uggla aura.'
    http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/...s/1302311.html
Working...
X